The Crystal Ballroom - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the song. I'm listening to it over and over again.

I still think The Miracle was the right choice for the lead single. Disco was not going to cut it. But this is one of the best songs on the album and really needs to be either the third or fourth single (after Every Breaking Wave.)

SFS is the weakest track on the album, but I don't think we need to worry so much about switching anything out for it. This is not a B-side. U2 is in new territory now. This is disc two of a double album release. It's there to sell the "deluxe" and LP versions of the album.

You don't just GIVE AWAY a song this good....

:up:

I agree with everything except SFS - I think my weakest song is SLABT but like you said I would NEVER have interchanged this song..... Cheers on the new territory comment also, all those reveiwers saying this is just like the old U2 either didn't listen close enough or at all to the album.

This makes perfect sense. Put it on the "deluxe" album for the diehards and then release it as a single and charge 1.99 per download on Amazon/iTunes/etc. Those casual fans who either didnt like the free album or who wouldn't pay for it since it was 'free' can still pay to download the single without getting all the other bonus material of the deluxe. (Acoustics/alternates/etc)

This song is miles better than its modern day counterparts of OneRepublic, Broken Bells, Ed Sheeran, and whatever other "modern rock" is on the current Top 40.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

I agree with everything except SFS - I think my weakest song is SLABT but like you said I would NEVER have interchanged this song..... Cheers on the new territory comment also, all those reveiwers saying this is just like the old U2 either didn't listen close enough or at all to the album.

SLABT is one of my favorites! ;)

I meant new territory as far as release formats, but yes, also sonically. As far as disco, Lemon was their one previous experiment and this is far more confident and serious. I'm blown away by this song, this second half of the album, and the whole package. I'm really finally beginning to suspect that this is going to settle down as the 3rd masterpiece. We'll see. But then Soe is just around the corner....

Finally got to hear the new songs. Lucifer's Hands is definitely b-side material, but Crystal Ballroom is probably my favorite from SOI altogether, pretty great stuff.

To be fair... this song is Broken Bells, with Bono playing James Mercer's role.

Yeah, I like the song, but this is exactly what I hear as well. I came here to give this opinion and saw your post.

Danger Mouse had a clear influence on the "sound" of a number of the new tracks, but none moreso than Crystal Ballroom to my ears.

Adam said in an interview that Edge had a hard time getting guitar parts into what seemed like already finished songs with the DM stuff. I can definitely hear it. Edge is my favorite part of the band, so hearing him play a lot of big chords and background fill-ins disappoints me a bit. His trademark intricate guitar melodies are kind of in short supply in the new material imo.

Daily US Radio Updates

Well, as far as what is played on radio, this gives a bit of insight.

Two weeks ago, it was stuck and steady. Now in the last few weeks The Miracle is slowly climbing. It's moved from 47 to 32 on the Alternative chart and 6 to 4 on Triple A.

How is Satellite radio airplay tracked? I'm not sure. Is it included in this data? Anyone know?

Very interesting times - U2 has quite a bit to choose from as far as singles. They are likely testing this with listeners somehow. Do they do that with a focus group or something? Or is it just what the band thinks? I can't imagine it's like that, though.

That said, the mistress is pretty enjoyable now :love:
This:up:
Hyperbole. It's hard to know your own tricks... I actually told a friend NLOTH was the best U2 album to date...:doh: But right now I'm enjoying the hell out of this one. And my better half is dancing around the kitchen on a friday night. Means something for sure...

Daily US Radio Updates

Well, as far as what is played on radio, this gives a bit of insight.

Two weeks ago, it was stuck and steady. Now in the last few weeks The Miracle is slowly climbing. It's moved from 47 to 32 on the Alternative chart and 6 to 4 on Triple A.

How is Satellite radio airplay tracked? I'm not sure. Is it included in this data? Anyone know?

Very interesting times - U2 has quite a bit to choose from as far as singles. They are likely testing this with listeners somehow. Do they do that with a focus group or something? Or is it just what the band thinks? I can't imagine it's like that, though.

Miracle will get to No. 1 on the Adult Alternative Chart, but stall everywhere else...Miracle is just the door opener.

Let's see if they get risky and drop the Crystal Ballroom onto radio...:hmm:

The 12 in version doesn't feel long or meandering at all. It's just 3 more minutes of awesomeness

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Adam said in an interview that Edge had a hard time getting guitar parts into what seemed like already finished songs with the DM stuff. I can definitely hear it..

I missed this interview.. do you remember which one it was?

I like what people are saying about this being a single, makes a lot of sense, especially since that's the song they chose to add to the vinyl.

How can you have a song that's only available as a "bonus" on the Deluxe Edition of the record be the single?

How does adding a disc that only has two "new" songs turn this into a "double" album?

This is a great song, better than several on the record, but crikey the Interference bubble.

SLABT is one of my favorites! ;)

I meant new territory as far as release formats, but yes, also sonically. As far as disco, Lemon was their one previous experiment and this is far more confident and serious. I'm blown away by this song, this second half of the album, and the whole package. I'm really finally beginning to suspect that this is going to settle down as the 3rd masterpiece. We'll see. But then Soe is just around the corner....

Gotcha... I hope I didn't come off as hating or eveM dis liking SLABT, great song just maybe my least fav on the album as a whole. After so many listens to the album I don't skip one song.

But CB is so extraordinary, this is a great time to be a U2 fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom