The Crystal Ballroom - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really ?

Was TM "released as a single" ?

Seems to me everyone already had it.

I'm pretty sure if I can access any song I want to that they can too and the phrase is meaningless, pretty much just a program director decision what to play.

If Radio stations want to play CB, they will.

The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) was, in fact, released and marketed as a single to radio stations. There's even a CD pressed specifically for this reason.

Radio stations are not free-form like they used to be. They have tightly rigid and controlled playlists. Program Directors (they still have those) adhere to a strict playlist and most (Top 40) stations do not play the 'odd' album track anymore...sad...:sad:

I don't know about that CK, I mean it's a good song, but 'devoured' by teens...I don't see it making a dent in radio play...:sigh:

Considering the "hit" station in my area plays stuff like "Love Runs Out" and "Counting Starts" pretty much every hour on the hour, this would fit right in to their playlists.

EDIT: And it's totally true CK! This generation would absolutely love it! LOVE ITTTTTT!!!!

I bet if someone uploaded TCB to YouTube and didnt say it was U2 it would go viral. :hmm:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Well, that's your opinion though, not a fact. We shall see soon enough. This is a new era of music distribution, and U2 are embracing it. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see them release it as a single. If it's a hit or not is a whole other story. Also, can you recall any past album releases where Bono raves about a Bonus track more than the other tracks during the promo interviews? Nope.

What 'opinion' did I state?

And Bono raves about everything they do...:doh:

Not True at all. There are tracks like The Crystal Ballroom that just don't fit into the concept or the style of the album, but are not at all deemed 'unworthy' or unsuitable. In fact, in his interviews so far, Bono talks as much about The Crystal Ballroom as he does about any of the album tracks, if not more.

And, let's not forget. They did include it on the vinyl, so in a way it's actually on the album. They could have included any other track and choose this. There are tons of finished tunes in the vault I reckon.
So it's not unworty in any way. I could even see them perform it during the promo tour... fingers crossed.

Can someone explain what exactly "released as a single" actually means any more ?

This is a good point. while it does mean, actually being sent to radio, it used to also hinge greatly on sales, and still does. In fact most acts now will sell a million of a single, and maybe a few hundred thousand of their album!

So the problem with what U2 did, was that they "released" Miracle as a single, but there was nothing to buy. Charts factor in airplay AND sales. So if stations play it a little but they don't get any sales (cause it's free) it won't place high on the charts, thus making it seem unpopular and radio stations stop playing it.

They need to get another proper single out after the 14th, for people to BUY, and really push it at radio.

Considering the "hit" station in my area plays stuff like "Love Runs Out" and "Counting Starts" pretty much every hour on the hour, this would fit right in to their playlists.

I bet if someone uploaded TCB to YouTube and didnt say it was U2 it would go viral. :hmm:

Yeah, what we like, and what our offspring like are sometimes WAY out there. I LOVE U2...have for over 30 years now (I'm old), but they are a nostalgia act to most kids. I know everyone in this thread is loving this song, and again, I think it's very good, but I just don't see the logic in thinking a bonus track is going to be issued as a single...I guess I'm just dense...:huh:...I agree w/the other posters that this is a 'new era' for releasing music, but I don't see this song being anything more than a "Love Comes Tumbling" or a "Summer Rain" kinda song. A very good song that, unfortunately relegated to a B-side...:shrug:

My kids are 20 and 18, and they both like U2, but my daughter is more interested in One Direction and Taylor Swift, while my son is a musical vagabond.

They both listened to SOI, and my daughter said "I liked it...didn't listen to all of it", my son, hated it...said NLOTH was better...go figure...:lol:

Hope they will play it live on tour - and call me crazy, but I could see Bono trying to do a Copacabana snippet with it

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of it as the next single. I mean, release TM to let people know they have the free album; it will attract a lot of older fans (even the casual ones who may not have otherwise got the album) through the commercial, the free album promotion, and to a much lesser extent the [relatively small] amount of radio play it has received thus far.

Then, when the physical release is set to drop, hit the world with the crystal ballroom and promote the hell out of it. TM will have already let the casual fans know you're back, and The Crystal Ballroom will be the best shot at gaining new fans. (I'm not gonna mention the die-hards here, because they would have found out about the album one way or another and got it regardless of single choice.)

It's also a great way to promote the physical deluxe release, which is what needs to be done, because virtually everyone who wants SOI already has the other 11 songs. Like I said, this will consist of casual fans who found it because of the commercial/TM/free album combo, as well as some people who may not have know who U2 was, listened to the album because it was free, and liked it. I mean, what good is promoting TM more going to do? Or California? Or EBW? Sure, they may experience a small splash of radio play that could attract a handful of new listeners each time, but that group is going to be negligible because so many people already have those songs. TCB is both different sounding and not on the free giveaway--it gives people a reason so rush out and buy the album, and it's different sound will have the best shot at attracting new listeners.

Which brings me to my last point. Hit singles these days need DOWNLOADS. So many people already have the other songs... it would EXTREMELY difficult for them to chart because of that. The Crystal Ballroom, on the other hand, would have to be sought after and purchased. I'm not guaranteeing it will be a radio smash, but I genuinely believe it's their best shot. This being the case, having a song played on the radio while simultaneously getting massive downloads is required for a hit single these days.

Clearly, it's the only song that has the potential to do both.

what's funny is that, as cool as the song is, if it was originally part of the album proper, you would have probably heard so much crap on the forum about how "it's a Arcade Fire rip-off," how it's a failed return to the Pop-dance era, "trying to hard to be trendy, etc."

I suspect you've lived with the album proper for a bit of time now that the new song is like the hot looking mistress to the dependable (perhaps boring by now) wife. Initial reactions to the former will likely simmer down.

That said, the mistress is pretty enjoyable now :love:

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of it as the next single. I mean, release TM to let people know they have the free album; it will attract a lot of older fans (even the casual ones who may not have otherwise got the album) through the commercial, the free album promotion, and to a much lesser extent the [relatively small] amount of radio play it has received thus far.

Then, when the physical release is set to drop, hit the world with the crystal ballroom and promote the hell out of it. TM will have already let the casual fans know you're back, and The Crystal Ballroom will be the best shot at gaining new fans. (I'm not gonna mention the die-hards here, because they would have found out about the album one way or another and got it regardless of single choice.)

It's also a great way to promote the physical deluxe release, which is what needs to be done, because virtually everyone who wants SOI already has the other 11 songs. Like I said, this will consist of casual fans who found it because of the commercial/TM/free album combo, as well as some people who may not have know who U2 was, listened to the album because it was free, and liked it. I mean, what good is promoting TM more going to do? Or California? Or EBW? Sure, they may experience a small splash of radio play that could attract a handful of new listeners each time, but that group is going to be negligible because so many people already have those songs. TCB is both different sounding and not on the free giveaway--it gives people a reason so rush out and buy the album, and it's different sound will have the best shot at attracting new listeners.

Which brings me to my last point. Hit singles these days need DOWNLOADS. So many people already have the other songs... it would EXTREMELY difficult for them to chart because of that. The Crystal Ballroom, on the other hand, would have to be sought after and purchased. I'm not guaranteeing it will be a radio smash, but I genuinely believe it's their best shot. This being the case, having a song played on the radio while simultaneously getting massive downloads is required for a hit single these days.

I have zero idea if that was actually their thought process, but if it was/is, it's pretty genius.

Unfortunately I just don't think they liked the Danger Mouse material as much as they should have, largely based on comments they (specifically The Edge) have made that seemingly knock DM.

what's funny is that, as cool as the song is, if it was originally part of the album proper, you would have probably heard so much crap on the forum about how "it's a Arcade Fire rip-off," how it's a failed return to the Pop-dance era, "trying to hard to be trendy, etc."

I suspect you've lived with the album proper for a bit of time now that the new song is like the hot looking mistress to the dependable (perhaps boring by now) wife. Initial reactions to the former will likely simmer down.

Totally agree w/this post...:up:

I have zero idea if that was actually their thought process, but if it was/is, it's pretty genius.

Unfortunately I just don't think they liked the Danger Mouse material as much as they should have, largely based on comments they (specifically The Edge) have made that seemingly knock DM.

1. Completely agreed as well. It would be brilliant marketing if this became the 2nd single.

2. After listening to both Invisible and Crystal Ballroom quite a bit yesterday, I sat back and imagined a scenario where the whole album sounded like those tracks. While I don't have any evidence to support my theory or opinion, I started to realize that as much as I love the 2 songs, I don't really need a whole album of it. They're really great to have, but at the same time, I love SOI in its current state so much that I just take these songs as fantastic additions to an already strong album.

maybeimjustablindsheep@baaaa.com

I agree, from a marketing/sales point. However I feel like from an album/art standpoint it "cheapens" the whole thing. These songs are only part of the album if you pay money for it?

Normally I'd agree with you. It's exactly my opinion on the popularity of the song which shall not be named.

But I am honestly blown away by the song.

To be fair I'm a giant Danger Mouse fan... So it's not really such a shocker that this song and The Troubles are my favorite songs from this round of music, as they sound the most Danger Mouse like.

I love the song. I'm listening to it over and over again.

I still think The Miracle was the right choice for the lead single. Disco was not going to cut it. But this is one of the best songs on the album and really needs to be either the third or fourth single (after Every Breaking Wave.)

SFS is the weakest track on the album, but I don't think we need to worry so much about switching anything out for it. This is not a B-side. U2 is in new territory now. This is disc two of a double album release. It's there to sell the "deluxe" and LP versions of the album.

You don't just GIVE AWAY a song this good....

Hit singles these days need DOWNLOADS. So many people already have the other songs... it would EXTREMELY difficult for them to chart because of that. The Crystal Ballroom, on the other hand, would have to be sought after and purchased. I'm not guaranteeing it will be a radio smash, but I genuinely believe it's their best shot. This being the case, having a song played on the radio while simultaneously getting massive downloads is required for a hit single these days.

This makes perfect sense. Put it on the "deluxe" album for the diehards and then release it as a single and charge 1.99 per download on Amazon/iTunes/etc. Those casual fans who either didnt like the free album or who wouldn't pay for it since it was 'free' can still pay to download the single without getting all the other bonus material of the deluxe. (Acoustics/alternates/etc)

This song is miles better than its modern day counterparts of OneRepublic, Broken Bells, Ed Sheeran, and whatever other "modern rock" is on the current Top 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom