The CLAW Part 4 - (INCL. SPOILERS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah. You can clearly tell it sinks into the ground cause the stadium doesn't look that tall either. Very cool design. A lotta hockey arena's are like that (cept Boston where it's far ABOVE ground-annoying for IATSE). I think the claw is fully built, cause the white sheet is on it and the smarties are in place

SMB

Can't be. There's still a fair gap between the top of the stage and the 4 pillars that support the stage during construction.

18070902.jpg

Claw is getting up in Amsterdam

Why dont they fill out the space behind the stage?!!! Its seems fairly empty and takes away from the overall look,

Can anyway who has been to a show tell if they bridges are annoying?
They seem like they would be,

Good idea to complete the circle runway!!!

I never understood why they didnt complete the outer circle to meet the catwalk in the back. They could have filled it in with some more people and then used the regular barriers in places they wanted to block off, no?

Anyone wanna hazzard a guess as to why...

......the 360 stage is STILL put to one end of the stadiums? Surely it would have been more sensical to put the stage bang slap in the centre of the pitch, allowing everyone the best possible view?
From the moment i heard the concept of the tour, that was the conclusion i came to. Just seem they are not making full use of the design (from the fans perspective)

......the 360 stage is STILL put to one end of the stadiums? Surely it would have been more sensical to put the stage bang slap in the centre of the pitch, allowing everyone the best possible view?
From the moment i heard the concept of the tour, that was the conclusion i came to. Just seem they are not making full use of the design (from the fans perspective)

I fully agree.

Now that they completed the circle (probably pre the band's request) it really looks like an afterthought. No GA'er would stand back there due to the height of the back rectangle underworld thing, so now even in 360, there is a huge empty space behind the stage.

I always thought that they needed the rectangle not only for underworld, but for all those control cables coming from the stage to the stadium (then to the control towers etc.) now from that last picture it looks like they are simply laid under those yellow things so people can walk on them.

I really do not think they need that long rectangle for the band to get to the stage (they can simply walk through a space between barriers like Popmart.) I really think it is a flaw in the design. I agree with the amazing claw invention, they could have stuck the stage smack dab in the middle, sell more GA seats and make every angle around th estage as good as the rest (similar to the Metallica stage.)

Seems like a big oversight, but I am sure they had their reasons. I remember a quote from Willie Williams saying by setting the stage up like they do they are able to sell about 20,000 more seats behind the stage. If they truly went 360 in the middle o fthe stadiums, I am sure they could sell at least 10,000 more GA's to fill in 'behind.'

I mean they already have Larry rotating around - why not fill in th efloo rin the back with some slight design changes...

Security... they can't have the entire stage circled by people.

Yeah this has been discussed quite a bit and it really comes down to security and getting the band on and off the stage.

Yeah this has been discussed quite a bit and it really comes down to security and getting the band on and off the stage.

I just don't buy it. They can get the band to the stage without that huge rectangular section.

They did so in Popmart - they came in from the 50 yard line through the crowd to the stage - no biggie really...

Yeah, I agree. why not middle of the stadium. Like Ouizy mentioned they entered through the crowd during Popmart. And there are so many cool ways they can enter when truly in the middle. It's a bit more "work" for the staff, but not a huge problem. Is it a technical issue? What's under the big rectangle again? Does it need to be attached? There must be some reason.

Also, I must beat this dead horse, there really aren't cases of bridge decapitation yet?? After all, it wouldn't be safe to have moving bridges for security reasons, safety codes, clearance etc.!!! :hyper:

The Claw just wants to be fed with:

- MOFO
- The Fly
- Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
- Until The End Of The World
- Discotheque
- Lemon
- Desire (full band!)

Come on, I understand the band is also a little nervous about this and relies a little on their auto-pilot and (apart from UF and UV) play the songs they're most comfortable with... for tours and tours unfortunately...

But let's be honest: whoever sees this fantastic monstrous stage for the first time and what it can do: ISHFWILF, SBS, Angel Of Harlem, Pride, With Or Without You:yawn: are NOT the first songs that come to mind! All nice songs for a stripped down concept like Vertigo, but not for this monster.
I'm sure that "the monster will eat them" with twiddlee-doo songs like ISHFWILF, Angel Of Harlem, and With Or Without You.
The epic tracks are luckely there: Streets, UF, Unknown Caller, Ultraviolet, Magnificent... It just lacks a few songs that really shake up the pillows, make the stage and audience rumble and roar and make this fantastic concept really work to the fullest.
Really, it just doesn't make sense that with all the possibilities they have with this stage they STILL come up with old and long dead warhorses like Pride, SBS, WOWY, ISHFWILF, Angel Of Harlem... I'm curious if they left these songs out how many people would REALLY miss them when they would be replaced by some other songs from their huge back-catalog!

I hope they are willing to be a little more daring and pull out HMTMKMKM, MOFO, The Fly Or UTEOFW! This stage could explode due to this songs!
Come U2, don't be afraid to risk a few flaws in playing these songs just see that those are the songs that will blow everybody out of their socks... even your own!

And this is not a bitching thread I just hope that this dress rehearsal setlist will quickly have a few positive changes, and I hope U2 themselves will come to this conclusion too when it comes to what this stage can do with the right "monstertracks" being played.

Forget a little bit more about the casual U2 spectator (I won't say U2 fan!) and rely a little bit more on us "real" U2-fans... I mean, we're not asking for the really obscure stuff like: Slug, Walk To The Water, Stateless:drool:, or even Lady With The Spinning Head..
But these other songs mentioned would simply make the Claw shake on it's legs and would make this tour a real rollercoaster ride!!!

We wait....

:up:

hearing cimplaints about the Claw being too cramped in Amsterdam. They had to shorten the spire on it. Brutal stadium

Two things that strike me for and against putting the stge on the half way line of tyhe pitch.

FOR: MOST stadiums tunnels (to changing rooms) are at the half way point, so it would be easy to get the band on stage, as, already pointed out, they walked thorugh the crowd during Popmart.

Against: (This is possbly the reason) IF the stage was in the middle of the pitch, it would mean the band would have their backs to about half the crowd at any given time. With it at one end, means limited fans are treated to views of their asses!:wink:

I just don't buy it. They can get the band to the stage without that huge rectangular section.

They did so in Popmart - they came in from the 50 yard line through the crowd to the stage - no biggie really...

for a handful of shows i went to (tempe, los angeles, pontiac), they came in from the tunnel on the opposite side of the field.

the difference between 97 to now is it wasn't truly GA back then and there were actual aisles on the field. not sure if they could really part the sea of fans now.

-dan

I'm sure this may be the same for a lot of shows, but I just got this info re: Croke #1

Concert Information
U2– Croke Park, Dublin on Friday 24 July 2009
With Special Guests Glasvegas and Damien Dempsey
Gates Open: 18:00
Show Starts: 18:30
No queuing allowed before 16:00

Strict security checks are in operation. The following items will not be permitted: Umbrellas, Banners Or Flags Larger than A4, Laser Pointers, Glowsticks, Flashlights, Inflatable balls or Balloons, Weapons, Fireworks, Glass or Cans, Alcohol, Furniture, Studs & Spikes, Shooting Sticks, Cameras With More Than 1¹¹ Lens, Video Cameras & Audio Recording Devices.

* Times are subject to change

so I'm assuming that 'more than one lens' means SLR type equipment, correct? Or can I bring an SLR with one large zooom? Is it an actual lens they are talking about or the elements inside the lens. lol... and I'm a photographer. There was no footnote on the email.

Back
Top Bottom