The Chicago DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like the DVD. my one problem is that the sound mixing on Larrys drums during Zoo Station is pathetic. They have a drummer you know!

The Milan DVD is different from Chicago DVD because it was filmed outdoors in a stadium with 40-50,000 screaming excited fans. Also, a gigantic screen is set up behind the band (replacing the curtains of Chicago) which looks very dazzling when certain camera angles are used. I only say this from seeing the "60 Minutes" broadcast footage of their tour.

The crowd at Milan was actually about 68,000.

It was pro shot for a suspected DVD release. Of course with the fourth leg being shot who knows?

What is very likely is that another tour dvd will be release october-dcember of this year

There is one real big eye-sore on the Chicago dvd imo. For some songs, especially Beautiful Day, a man in a white shirt can be seen a few rows up in the stands when bono walks around on the elipse right in front of him. The guy sways in a disinterested fashion and claps his hands in the lamest ways, clearly visible and not physced that he is where he is. I know concert dvds, especially ones shot in arenas, will inevitably capture images of not so enthusiastic fans, but when you have a sea of jumping fans such as there were in Milan the excitement just from watching increases SO much.

shart1780 said:
I like all the U2 live DVDs (except Rattle and Hum, but that doesn't really count).

How come? I love the DVD to bits. Catches U2 in their prime and sums them up just before the major transformation into the 90s with Achtung

DontExpect said:
but when you have a sea of jumping fans such as there were in Milan the excitement just from watching increases SO much.

Most definately, I love watching DVD moments such as Ratle and Hum with Pride and Elevation live in Boston with Streets. Absolutely priceless

I felt that the crowd in the Chicago DVD was very lackluster. I think Hamish had to use a lot of ADD jump cuts to add a bit of energy that the show was missing.

DontExpect said:
There is one real big eye-sore on the Chicago dvd imo. For some songs, especially Beautiful Day, a man in a white shirt can be seen a few rows up in the stands when bono walks around on the elipse right in front of him. The guy sways in a disinterested fashion and claps his hands in the lamest ways, clearly visible and not physced that he is where he is.

Sounds like Chizip.

Achtung Ya'll said:
I felt that the crowd in the Chicago DVD was very lackluster. I think Hamish had to use a lot of ADD jump cuts to add a bit of energy that the show was missing.

I was at both Chicago shows that were filmed and the crowd was not lackluster.

The problem with this dvd is that there was no attempt to capture crowd energy. This dvd focused squarely on the band.

For example, the crowd was nuts during COBL, Vertigo 1 & 2 (unfortunately they cut Vertigo 2 which was one of the best moments of the night), Elevation, Beautiful Day, LAPOE (See DVD), Sunday Bloody Sunday (See DVD), Pride and Streets.

The band is partially at fault for causing a lul in excitement on some songs. New Years Day seemed very flat and tired--I didn't get into it much. An Cat Dubh and Electric Co were good--but most of the crowd didn't know these songs so why would they get excited about them? Streets was great; but the band screwed up royally at getting rid of the flood lights at the beginning of the song. That adds soooo much energy to the intro that carries through the whole song. When did the flood lights came on at the bridge check out the crowd--we were going nuts.

Honestly, I know that I was personally exhausted by the time of ABOY to be jumping around too much---as was most of the crowd I think. Those who attended one of the 1st leg shows know that there wasn't much time to breathe because the show was so intense and in your face; so the crowd would die a bit during flat or slower songs. After the 1st leg, I don't think this was an issue anymore--U2 started throwing in acoustic songs, slow songs like ISHFWILF among others.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
ImOuttaControl said:

I was at both Chicago shows that were filmed and the crowd was not lackluster.

The problem with this dvd is that there was no attempt to capture crowd energy. This dvd focused squarely on the band.

For example, the crowd was nuts during COBL, Vertigo 1 & 2 (unfortunately they cut Vertigo 2 which was one of the best moments of the night), Elevation, Beautiful Day, LAPOE (See DVD), Sunday Bloody Sunday (See DVD), Pride and Streets.

The band is partially at fault for causing a lul in excitement on some songs. New Years Day seemed very flat and tired--I didn't get into it much. An Cat Dubh and Electric Co were good--but most of the crowd didn't know these songs so why would they get excited about them? Streets was great; but the band screwed up royally at getting rid of the flood lights at the beginning of the song. That adds soooo much energy to the intro that carries through the whole song. When did the flood lights came on at the bridge check out the crowd--we were going nuts.

Honestly, I know that I was personally exhausted by the time of ABOY to be jumping around too much---as was most of the crowd I think. Those who attended one of the 1st leg shows know that there wasn't much time to breathe because the show was so intense and in your face; so the crowd would die a bit during flat or slower songs. After the 1st leg, I don't think this was an issue anymore--U2 started throwing in acoustic songs, slow songs like ISHFWILF among others.

Just my 2 cents.

The gentlemen doth protest too much.

Lets face facts by the bands standards this DVD is a complete Turkey compared to what it should have been.
I cannot begin to comprehend who thought releasing Chicago rather than Milan was a good, unless they realised it was piss poor and they'd have a nightmarish task selling this as the second tour DVD.

I'm pretty confident the crowd on the Milan DVD won't look like they've gone for an evening at the morgue.

tarquinsuperb said:

The gentlemen doth protest too much.

Lets face facts by the bands standards this DVD is a complete Turkey compared to what it should have been.
I cannot begin to comprehend who thought releasing Chicago rather than Milan was a good, unless they realised it was piss poor and they'd have a nightmarish task selling this as the second tour DVD.

I'm pretty confident the crowd on the Milan DVD won't look like they've gone for an evening at the morgue.

I'll say it again. The problem with the Chicago dvd is not the crowd, but the production. This dvd showed pretty much no crowd interaction other than the boy being brought onstage. If you took the time to watch the documentary, you'd know that Hamish himself told the cameramen not to film the crowd.

Of course the crowd is going to appear bad when there is no focus on when the crowd goes nuts. This dvd was focused soley on the band and the show; which is the only weakness to the dvd. The Milan clips I've seen focus on the crowd. How many full crowd shots do you see in the Chicago dvd during Vertigo compared to Milan????? Hmmm I might be onto something here; I know that others have mentioned this as well.

ImOuttaControl said:

I'll say it again. The problem with the Chicago dvd is not the crowd, but the production. This dvd showed pretty much no crowd interaction other than the boy being brought onstage. If you took the time to watch the documentary, you'd know that Hamish himself told the cameramen not to film the crowd.

Of course the crowd is going to appear bad when there is no focus on when the crowd goes nuts. This dvd was focused soley on the band and the show; which is the only weakness to the dvd. The Milan clips I've seen focus on the crowd. How many full crowd shots do you see in the Chicago dvd during Vertigo compared to Milan????? Hmmm I might be onto something here; I know that others have mentioned this as well.

I'm still not buying it, I'm afraid.
Of course a crowd we can't see is going to be more excited. I can only go on what I can see and they look like cardboard cutouts. The only time any of them move is when they go off to relieve themselves.
No DVD's main focus is going to be the crowd. I'm not on my own here, too many other people have complained about the crowd for there not to be a case to answer to.

tarquinsuperb said:

No DVD's main focus is going to be the crowd. I'm not on my own here, too many other people have complained about the crowd for there not to be a case to answer to.

Of course the crowd is not going to be the main focus. I never said it should or would. But the dvd's that translate best are those that show the band/crowd interaction. That's why people think that the Slane DVD was so good---look at the way the filming showed how the band and crowd interacted.

The Chicago DVD is not filmed in this same manner.

Many other people have complained as you say. Could this be people who A) weren't there so they don't know and B) are also being effected by the horrible camera work that does not show any band/crowd interaction?

There are bootlegs out there that show the nights that were filmed. I've seen the May 9th boot where the crowd looks much much better than on the dvd---And the may 9th concert was the worst of the 2 that they filmed, and the crowd wasn't nearly as good that first night as the second.

ImOuttaControl said:

Many other people have complained as you say. Could this be people who A) weren't there so they don't know and B) are also being effected by the horrible camera work that does not show any band/crowd interaction?

Look, I don't want to take away your moment sure it's cool you were there on the night, but I've got no axe to grind, all I'm doing is calling a spoon a spoon.
I think you are underestimating just how bad the crowd are, is not a casaul 'oh I'm not sure about the audience', it's the first thing a lot of people commented on and cannot be explained away by camera work.

tarquinsuperb said:

Look, I don't want to take away your moment sure it's cool you were there on the night, but I've got no axe to grind, all I'm doing is calling a spoon a spoon.
I think you are underestimating just how bad the crowd are, is not a casaul 'oh I'm not sure about the audience', it's the first thing a lot of people commented on and cannot be explained away by camera work.

I'm not going to keep arguing with you about this because you have have not come back to all of the things I originally posted. You keep up with the "a spoon is a spoon" and you're not willing to accept the fact that there are a lot of factors. The camera work and the goals of Hamish Hamilton changed between filming Chicago and Milan--that's the biggest facter. Because when the camera DOES focus on the band/crowd interaction on the Chicago DVD (SBS, Streets), the crowd is clearly going crazy. Unfortunately the goal in Chicago was to show the spectacle and the band-- not the band crowd interaction(from the clips I've seen, this is the goal of the Milan DVD).

ImOuttaControl said:

I'm not going to keep arguing with you about this because you have have not come back to all of the things I originally posted. You keep up with the "a spoon is a spoon" and you're not willing to accept the fact that there are a lot of factors. The camera work and the goals of Hamish Hamilton changed between filming Chicago and Milan--that's the biggest facter. Because when the camera DOES focus on the band/crowd interaction on the Chicago DVD (SBS, Streets), the crowd is clearly going crazy.

To be fair you've not come up with a great deal yourself, apart from your insistance that me and just about everyone else who has watched the DVD is plain wrong.

I'm sorry but I'm bound to be more objective than you are, if not clearly mine and your definitions of crazy are a mile apart. I remember the first U2 show I went to being incredibly moved by the crowd's reaction to WTSHNN, I'd never seen anything like it, I was at the back of the arena and I could see every single person in the room bouncing up and down, not pushing against one another like at other concerts, but everyone totally being in the moment. The audience in Chicago are not even close to that.

I'm prepared to blame Hamish for a lot of the faults on the DVD but it is not just his camera work that is responsible for (at the very least) the perception of a lacklustre response of an entire arena.

I watched the show, and compared to Elevation in Boston the whole thing sounded better. I usually listen to the concert while I'm doing other stuff on the computer (not watching, and I find Bono's voice and the music just comes out well, better than on elevationBoston. Of course Slane was more impressive, but the circumstances and the setting were made for a magical night.

I haven't seen anything of Milan, but if its like Live in Mexico, I really hope the sound doesn't get lost in the huge stadium like it did for Popmart VHS (not same technology, I know, but still, it doesn't sound too nice.

A bit in off in left field, but I really, really enjoyed Bullet the Blue Sky in Chicago. I found Edge's solo to be one of the best that I've heard for that song, it sounded so bluesy, and I really like how he played it a bit slower, less angry, more melancholy.

Anyways, my two cents.

tarquinsuperb said:

I'm prepared to blame Hamish for a lot of the faults on the DVD but it is not just his camera work that is responsible for (at the very least) the perception of a lacklustre response of an entire arena.

But that's my point that you have missed once again... How can you judge a crowd that you can't see?!!! Like I said, when you don't see the crowd during vertigo, COBL or Elevation, how can you say it's lackluster? You barely see the crowd during the times that it was really fired up!

It just gets on my nerves when people who weren't there try to judge a show/setlist/crowd. If you weren't there, you don't know. Period. Especially when people paint the picture of the "entire arena" and their "lackluster response." What you don't see, you can't judge.

Oh and as for being objective; believe me I am. I was front row inside the ellipse on May 10th and front of the outside on May 9th, and I am very critical of the shows. I don't think the Vertigo Tour has been u2's greatest tour by far and I don't think the shows I saw in Chicago hold a candle to the ones i saw on the Elevation Tour.

Last edited:
I dunno...I was at the shows, too, and the crowds were okay. I wasn't really too blown away by blah-ness or extraordinariness.

I mean, come on--it's Chicago. Not Italy or South America or Mexico or whatever. We're Americans. We forgot how to lose it a long time ago, for the most part.

Durandal^ said:

A bit in off in left field, but I really, really enjoyed Bullet the Blue Sky in Chicago. I found Edge's solo to be one of the best that I've heard for that song, it sounded so bluesy, and I really like how he played it a bit slower, less angry, more melancholy.

Anyways, my two cents.

I agree. The current incarnation of BTBS has been slammed quite a bit, but I really like this version. I take the ZooTV or Elevation version as being a really angry version--which I love, but I also love the moody version on the Vertigo tour. It is melancholy like you said...to me the first time I heard it I thought it sounded like a very "sad" guitar, which fits the ending well.

If you shout... said:
I dunno...I was at the shows, too, and the crowds were okay. I wasn't really too blown away by blah-ness or extraordinariness.

I mean, come on--it's Chicago. Not Italy or South America or Mexico or whatever. We're Americans. We forgot how to lose it a long time ago, for the most part.

See, that's an assessment I agree with. I don't think the crowd was in Chicago was amazing by any means, but it's not nearly as bad as people say after seeing the DVD. But there WERE times when the crowd was crazy as you should probably remember that aren't anywhere to be seen in the dvd, which is my biggest disappointment.

ImOuttaControl said:

But that's my point that you have missed once again... How can you judge a crowd that you can't see?!!! Like I said, when you don't see the crowd during vertigo, COBL or Elevation, how can you say it's lackluster? You barely see the crowd during the times that it was really fired up!

My apologies it must be an anti-Chicago conspiracy. Hamish must be so prejudiced against the residents of Illinois that he has manipulated the DVD footage to portray them in the most passion free manner possible. Maybe Bono's next cause will be a campaign for sufferers of stoicism and he needed some footage.

Come on. You're honestly suggesting all positive crowd response has been carefully omitted, to leave people like me, who weren't at the shows with the impression that the crowd was lifeless.

I cannot believe that a crowd can be as inconsistent as you seem to suggest. I can judge the crowd I can see and I've been to enough shows, listened and watched enough boots to be able to tell a good crowd from a bad crowd. I can also accept that maybe they were times when they were a little more animated than they were shown but this would still leave them the wrong side of frigid.The crowd for Chicago is not a good audience full stop and is especially bad considering the reputation it had for U2 shows prior to the Vertigo tour.

I wasn't present at the filming of Brokeback Mountain, does that mean when I sit down to watch it at the cinema I am unable to tell whether or not it is a good film?

tarquinsuperb said:

I wasn't present at the filming of Brokeback Mountain, does that mean when I sit down to watch it at the cinema I am unable to tell whether or not it is a good film?

Comparing a movie to a concert? :tsk:

RademR said:
I bought the DVD the day it was released, watched about a few of the songs and haven't touched it since :reject:

Same here. I feel like a bad U2 fan, I keep meaning to watch the rest of it but haven’t got around to it yet.

^^ I've watched the whole thing, just not all at once. More like in increments. :uhoh: It could have something to do with the fact that I can only watch it on my computer and it really sucks to sit here for the whole thing. :angry:

I've found lately that I like to just put it on for the audio and listen while I do other things. Does anyone else do that?

pattip2000 said:

Same here. I feel like a bad U2 fan, I keep meaning to watch the rest of it but haven’t got around to it yet.

ure tellin me, i was at both of the shows so you'd think I'd watch it to see if I was anywhere on the DVD. I had really great lower level seats....

the crowd looked HORRIBLE on the DVD, but I was there and even though I saw better crowds (prob. NY and DC), I think there was a lot more energy than what really came through on the DVD.

so i agree with the production problems.

With the sneak peak of "Vertigo 2" in Milan, there seems to be a lot of fan shots, which is great. A lot of hot girls in Italy...

Back
Top Bottom