"Thanksgiving Day" by William S. Burroughs (yes, it's U2 related)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knuckle

Acrobat
Happy Thanksgiving all. There is much to be thankful for. I don't intend to cast a shadow on what is perhaps the best holiday of the year, but this poem by William S. Burroughs is worth knowing (even for the sake of historic perspective). It is bound to upset and offend some, but this man has something to say I suppose. Remember that U2 thought it was significant enough to use it very prominently in their ZooTVFox special back in the early '90's. Go you YouTube.com and search "Thanksgiving Prayer: William S. Burroughs" and you'll see Burroughs reading the poem. That short film was used as the lead-in to the live performance of "Where the Streets Have No Name" in the TV special. (I'd link to it but I don't have that ability on this site.) Check it out. Below is the written text.

Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 28, 1986
William S. Burroughs
For John Dillinger
In hope he is still alive

Thanks for the wild turkey and the Passenger Pigeons, destined to be shit out through wholesome American guts —

thanks for a Continent to despoil and poison —

thanks for Indians to provide a modicum of challenge and danger —

thanks for vast herds of bison to kill and skin, leaving the carcass to rot —

thanks for bounties on wolves and coyotes —

thanks for the AMERICAN DREAM to vulgarize and falsify until the bare lies shine through —

thanks for the KKK, for ******-killing lawmen feeling their notches, for decent church-going women with their mean, pinched, bitter, evil faces —

thanks for "Kill a Queer for Christ" stickers —

thanks for laboratory AIDS —

thanks for Prohibition and the War Against Drugs —

thanks for a country where nobody is allowed to mind his own business —

thanks for a nation of finks — yes,

thanks for all the memories... all right, let's see your arms... you always were a headache and you always were a bore —

thanks for the last and greatest betrayal of the last and greatest of human dreams.

Strange...I feel really bad about posting this thread. I just tried to delete it but could not.

Chizip said:
why dont you have the ability to link?

I'm pretty sure you have to be a paid subscriber to this site (which I am not). I am a true freeloader. Hmm..that's sounds like a good new screen name.

Why do you feel bad?
It's a great piece of writing and one of the many many highlights of the incredible ZOO TV special.
More power to ya!

An Cat Gav said:
Why do you feel bad?
It's a great piece of writing and one of the many many highlights of the incredible ZOO TV special.
More power to ya!

Well, because today is Thanksgiving Day in the USA. It's a very warm and family-oriented holiday. For most people, it's filled with the best thoughts of our country. These days we have a lot of bad news, and we should probably have one nice special day where some jackass (yours truly) isn't reminding us of our imperfections.

Last edited:
uh everybody with 15 posts or more can post links here..

and I think it's good to remind people of their imperfections, because it reminds them to appreciate the positive things in life!

Knuckle said:

I'm pretty sure you have to be a paid subscriber to this site (which I am not). I am a true freeloader. Hmm..that's sounds like a good new screen name.

no, you only need to have like 15 or so posts to be able to link (to prevent spammers)

being premium doesnt have anything to do with it

kingofsorrow said:

dude on this great day, there are more people in america going without food than there are sitting down to dine on nice fat juicy turkey. providing a dose off reality is never bad or wrong.

Not true.

There are plenty without food, and it is a shame, but not "more".

This is one of William S. Burroughs best poems...EVER!!!
I just wish U2 were the kind of band now that would be cool enough to use it in they're live show. Unfortunately the boys just don't seem as angry as they once did. Too bad. I dearly miss the Zoo TV era.

Regardless, the poem makes one stop and really think. That is what the great author meant when he penned these words I'm sure. Happy Day everyone. I've reflected on the good and bad in my life throughout this day and I am thankful for so much.

bsp77 said:

There are enough awful facts out there already without having to make one up. That's all.

ah, ok i see. my apologies. i guess all the homeless i see are a figment off my imagination. what were the last figures? 15 million americans homeless. good luck on your future endeavors to trivialize terrible situations.

kingofsorrow said:

ah, ok i see. my apologies. i guess all the homeless i see are a figment off my imagination. what were the last figures? 15 million americans homeless. good luck on your future endeavors to trivialize terrible situations.

You obviously do not understand what I am saying. 15 million homeless vs 275 million that are not. I am not trivializing anything. I just don't see why you have to make up things (such as more without food than with) to make a point. Things are bad enough that straight up facts would get the point across. The 15 miilion homeless is very bad, you could have just said that.

You obviously are not going to understand me so I am done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom