TEEN PLEBAns: We Won't Buy Just Anyone's Cockatoo (But maybe U2's)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:hyper:

I found a new job. Same pay and benefits. I'll have to learn French, but je parle un peu, so I'm fine there. The hours are a lot different and that's the thing I'm worried about.

:hyper:

I found a new job. Same pay and benefits. I'll have to learn French, but je parle un peu, so I'm fine there. The hours are a lot different and that's the thing I'm worried about.

Is it a better job for the actual work you'll be doing?
Are the hours ones you can't work?

When we postwhore the shiz-nit out of this one.

Just noticed this is my 5000th post :cabbagepatch:

Is it a better job for the actual work you'll be doing?
Are the hours ones you can't work?

Just noticed this is my 5000th post :cabbagepatch:
It's easier. Less stress. And it's stuff I've done before. I'm not sure yet, I need to talk with my mom.

Félicitations! However, not using multi-quote helps with the postwhoring.

Thanks. I'm excited. A shift that doesn't end at midnight. I can't believe there is such a thing. :lol: I've been working the late shift for over three years.

I talked to my mom at lunch, I don't know why I bothered to get my hopes up.

SNL was super fun to go to...even if it wasn't very funny

untitled.jpg

But I got a kick out of this

Snowing like hell, yet the geese are still out there being assholes to each other. Is it wrong to hope the ice on the pond melts with the warm, wet snow and they fall in?

I'm writing a very long blog entry on an album from earlier this year. Breaking each track down. It's fun.

21st Century Breakdown. Here's what I have so far:

6 Months Later - 21st Century Breakdown

I'm revisiting Green Day's newest. I'm not sure why. It probably won't be a track-by-track review of it. I'm just sort of putting down thoughts here.

Song Of The century - Playground rhyme with a static effect over it. I can't figure out what the static effect has to do with the rest of the album. maybe as a tie-in the to switching channels audio snippet at the beginning of East Jesus Nowhere? Still, it seems like a throwaway effect and unnecessary. Partly due to the fact that I can't figure out what the switching channels snippet has to do with anything else on the album.

21st Century Breakdown - Title track, standard Green Day fare. Billie gets autobiographical.

Opening lyrics: "Born in to Nixon I was raised in Hell / A welfare child where the teamsters dwelled / The last one born and the first one to run/ my town was blind from refinery sun."

I could write a dissertation on these lines alone.

First, "Born into Nixon, I was raised in Hell". Nixon, 1968-1974. Billie Joe was born 17 February 1972. Fairly obvious. What I don't understand was (other than his father's death) why he thinks his childhood was so crappy. By all accounts from his siblings, up until Andy died, he had a pretty good life.

"A welfare child where the teamsters dwelled" Oy. Despite what he seems to want everyone to believe, Billie Joe was never on welfare. His mom had a steady job when he was growing up, and she still works. Plus, he had an older brother Alan who also brought in money for the family both before and after Andy died.

"The last one born and the first one to run" Billie Joe is the youngest of six children and he left home when he was about 17 or so, while his brothers and sisters went to college and finished high school. Not much to interpret here.

"My town was blind from refinery sun"
Also relatively simple to understand. Pinole is just a few miles away from Humboldt, California, a town notorious for oil refineries.

"My generation is zero/ I never made it as a working class hero"

The first part is a reference to the dubbing of the current generation of kids as Generation Zero, akin to naming the kids of the first part of the 90's as Generation X. He's veering away from autobiographical in this line and trying, perhaps, to introduce the character of Christian. It's not working. The second part has duality to it. There's the obvious shout out to Green Day's cover of John Lennon's Working Class Hero, but there's also the reference to the fact that one, while the band was struggling to make it big, Billie tried to work regular jobs and just couldn't hack it and two, to quote him directly from Bullet In A Bible, "I am Green Day." Being in a band in the only thing he knows how to do, and he couldn't get a regular job and be a blue-collar stiff like the rest of us.

(You can find more out about "Generation Zero" here (Generation Zero?) in an 2007 article from the San Francisco Chronicle. Coincidence? I think not.)

I'm going to skip ahead here to the first bridge of the song. Not because there's more symbolism, (okay, there is a little) but because I find it curious.
"We are the class of the class of 13/ born in the era of humility/ we are the desperate in the decline/ raised by the bastards of 1969"

The class of 13, 2013, will be populated by kids born in 1995. Billie Joe's first son was born in 1995. His wife, Adrienne, was born in 1969. Kind of puts a different spin on that lyric, to me at least. But Billie's not talking about himself, or his son, this is supposed be be about Christian. Maybe. Billie switches back and forth so much, it's hard to keep up.

So far, this is not feeling as concise as American Idiot. Plus, I'm pretty sure the intro of this song is ripping off The Who. Like 80% sure.

(and I'm only on the second track)

Back
Top Bottom