***Survivor: As an Angel Hits the Ground (Albums Rd 9)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote OFF the album you like the LEAST

• The Unforgettable Fire

Votes: 59 35.8%
  • The Joshua Tree

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Achtung Baby

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Pop

Votes: 74 44.8%
  • How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Votes: 27 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

beli

Blue Crack Addict
The last round's non winner was.....

***Zooropa***

Non Winners List
8. Zooropa
7. War
6. All That You Can't Leave Behind
5. Boy
4. Rattle and Hum
3. Under a Blood Red Sky
2. October
1. Passengers

The voting from the previous round was as follows:
Zooropa - 49
Pop - 46
The Unforgettable Fire - 34
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - 21
The Joshua Tree - 6
Achtung Baby - 0

Total of 156 votes

Round Nine

is now open. Please vote by clicking in the circle next to the album you like the LEAST on the electronic poll above. Thank you.

This is a TWO day timed electronic poll.

Instructions:

Voting

Each round please vote off the album you like the least. The album with the most amount of votes is the the least popular for this round. Voting is anonymous. Its not compulsory to state your preference in the thread.

Next round all the albums are listed again, minus the album that receives the most amount of votes this round. And again please vote for your least favourite album from the selection.

And on we go for many rounds until theres only two albums left. In the last round you vote for your favourite out of the two. The last album standing is the most popular (or the least unpopular depending on how you look at it).

Tie Breaker
In the event of a tie, a 24 hour poll will be run. This poll will consist solely of the tied albums.

In the event of a tied tie breaker, votes from all previous rounds will be tallied to determine a grand total of votes for the tied abums.

In the event of a grand total of votes resulting in a draw, all of the tied albums will be eliminated from the competition.

"As an Angel Hits the Ground"... that line alone makes me wish zooropa were still in it. UF, u get my vote this time.

Each and every person voting on this poll, repeat after me: I solemnly swear to protect The Unforgettable Fire and ensure it wins this contest.

There, now don't you feel better? Go vote for an album that deserves to be kicked off (namely Pop).

I'm just happy that of my top four U2 albums, all are still present....

how could you vote off Zooropa :sad: ? well my vote now goes to TUF: to me it should have been voted off long ago.

I'm pretty surprised that Zooropa got booted before POP (albeit not by much), and maybe that means POP has more respect around here than we thought. Certainly more than ATYCLB, which was out how many rounds ago?

UF has gotta go. I have too much appreciation for U2 to think their fourth album was one of their four best. Get that half-baked experiment out of here! The remaining albums are all brilliant examples of songwriting and album arrangement.

laz

UF

Same reason as the last time... I like U2's first trilogy and so called "90s" trylogy far more than their "american" trylogy...
Bye Bye UF

POP, which should have been out rounds ago - it's incredible it outlived better albums.

This is a slightly edited version of a post I made late in the last round. I feel it deserves to be said here too.

UF SHOULD make it to the final four. Objectively speaking, Pop should go now. UF was the start of an era of sonic landscapes and musical explorations, launching U2 into the masterpiece country of The Joshua Tree, while Pop is the end of the road of experimental albums. Pop ended an era and U2 left it behind; UF was the start of a legend and a crucial factor in the making of U2 as icons of music.

I'd then favour eliminating HTDAAB, though it hasn't had time to prove itself, and leaving the final three as UF (pivotal album), and JT and AB (widely recognised as masterpieces and classics). Boy should be in the final four with those three.

Then it's every album for itself.

U2girl said:
POP, which should have been out rounds ago - it's incredible it outlived better albums.

I totallly agree! I am :mad: and :banghead: and :sad: Zooropa got it in the end. Now we have to worry about it beating UF which would be CRAZY!! Come on people wake up and vote off Pop!

THINK PEOPLE!!!

UF has:

BAD!!
PRIDE!!
ASOH!!

what's really that good on Pop, really now? Discotheque? Think about the songs here, this is NOT one of the best albums and does NOT deserve to be here. Since Pop has gone this far, can somebody please put the Bengals in the Super Bowl? It would be the same thing!

lazarus said:
I'm pretty surprised that Zooropa got booted before POP (albeit not by much), and maybe that means POP has more respect around here than we thought.

laz

No, just more diehard fanatics. No one stands up for Zooropa, and I think people forget how brilliant it was, at its time. U2 lost fans with Achtung Baby, to be sure, but they took all that new collateral they got with AB, and spent most of it on Zooropa. They were the biggest band in the world at the time, and they came out with a weird, experimental album. How amazing is that? Pretty amazing. Pop, in comparison, is rather mainstream, with a more guitar-driven sound that is accessible to a larger audience. Yes, there are 'experimental tracks' on Pop as well (I am defending myself against perceived attacks), but when you compare the two, Zooropa is less mainstream than Pop is, by far. The Wanderer? Zooropa? DGPFYCC? Lemon? These are weird, odd, exotic gems, completely unique to the U2 canon, and blessings we will never see anything quite like again.

But you guys voted her off. Bravo.

*sighs*

-Miggy D

U2Kitten said:

what's really that good on Pop, really now?

now, as ever:

please
wake up dead man
gone
velvet dress
do you feel loved
mofo
staring at the sun
miami
if god will send his angels
and yes, discothèque

bedouin fire said:

now, as ever:

please
wake up dead man
gone
velvet dress
do you feel loved
mofo
staring at the sun
miami
if god will send his angels
and yes, discothèque

Gone is ok. SATS is decent. The rest are below mediocre(*by U2 standards, still better than Papa Roach!) This album should have gone LONG ago. I'm not surprised though, a lot of people here are so hung up on it. It would get its ass kicked anywhere else. It's like some people have to take up for it like a poor retarded child everyone picks on but they love. But honestly, this is not one of the top 3 U2 albums, be realistic.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

what's really that good on Pop, really now? Discotheque? Think about the songs here, this is NOT one of the best albums and does NOT deserve to be here. Since Pop has gone this far, can somebody please put the Bengals in the Super Bowl? It would be the same thing!

When I look at Pop in the context of U2s entire catalog it has a unqiue place for one main reason:
Edge's guitar

Precisely because Edge's guitar is not the usual chiming delay sound that appears on all other albums. (This is also why the album dissappointed so many - it wasn't prescription U2). There are some very interesting sounds in Pop. The all out rocknroll blast of Last Night On Earth durinmg Popmart was good as was Gone during Elevation Tour. Ok they needed futher development from the album but the basuic ingredients were there. Lyrics-wise Please was good and proved a superb partner to Street during PopmArt.

Discotheque is a great critique of the fast-food, fast-sex, lets buy a good time tonight, shallow clubworld era that we'd entered by the nineties.

I like Pop as it is something quite different to other U2 albums.

The one reason why Pop is still here is because of it's by and large universal rejection!
people seem to have taken pity on it......

if Pop was better than Zooropa or Atyclb or even Boy for that matter the sales would have spoken for themselves.... but............

oh and my vote goes to Pop

Pop and Passengers are favorites of mine. Unforgettable Fire is forgettable except for Bad and Pride. Pop has Do You Feel Lovef which is like A Man and A WoMan mixed with The First Time. Please is a beutiful song and so is If God Will Send His Angels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom