Still working on the album...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just about to post about this when I read your comment. You're right; Bono's been so corrupted by his own greedy search for money and the kinds of people like Bill Clinton who deregulated the American economy and pushed for the Washington Consensus abroad during his tenure. Now, the only people Bono criticizes are America's enemies.

shoot.gif

Ha! Proof that Larry CAN in fact play Acrobat if he wants to!! :wink:

I did get a sort-of Acrobat vibe from that, and even a bit of IALW at the end of the clip.

I don't know if the end result of this would have been that good (or the alternate lead guitar part in Magnificent for that matter). But it sounded a lot better than some of the stuff that did make the album.

What happend to the song that is in this clip :(
U2 - Making of "No Line on the Horizon" (I) - YouTube

Does anyone else think that could have become Breathe? I was really looking forward to that song after seeing the trailer for Daniel Lanois's Here Is What Is. If you try to listen to the lyrics they seem to be about the same sort of stuff Breathe is. I think that the tune may have been slowed down or changed to become Breathe. I don't know how to describe it all that well, i'm not a music theorist. That Observer clip, along with another, came out just before No Line On The Horizon was released. I don't see U2 okaying that much of the song coming out in those clips unless they abandoned it or it became another song, in my opinion, probably Breathe. Much like Tripoli is in those clips also. It became Fez-Being Born.

I did get a sort-of Acrobat vibe from that, and even a bit of IALW at the end of the clip.

I don't know if the end result of this would have been that good (or the alternate lead guitar part in Magnificent for that matter). But it sounded a lot better than some of the stuff that did make the album.

I kinda heard that myself... :hmm:

I'd never seen that clip before.

Makes me very sad that this stuff wasn't finished and released, sounds very beautiful, Eno's keyboard doodlings in particular were very interesting. Much as I love U2 I do wonder how they can drop this stuff in favour of Stand Up Comedy et al.

i guess maybe the style or whatever didn't sit right with the band for them to ultimately ditch it/drown it out with other sounds in the end...

there was definitely some nice potential there though

i was kind of listening to those opening Moroccan sounds and then the slightly clashing signature Edge guitar sounds came in too, and i thought, ok cool, they could really go somewhere interesting with this, and for a second i hoped maybe we'd get that industrial chainsaw-like guitar interplaying and sparring with those gorgeous Moroccan rhythms, but no

it could have been awesome :sad:

had they released an album with that kind of mateiral, it would have been labelled contrived, self indulgent..

they're not in an easy position

had they released an album with that kind of mateiral, it would have been labelled contrived, self indulgent..

yep, plus Led Zeppelin did it already...

maybe in the end it wasn't really "their thing"

It must be hard to be that popular lol.

They should be able to do whatever they want. Music should be self indulgent imo.

Ali chipped in some mostly useless information today:

Ali Hewson: 'In the next 20 years, Africa is going to blow our minds' | From the Observer | The Observer

What's life like when he and U2 gear up for an album and a tour, as they're doing now?

Well, in a way I think life actually gets easier for him when he's just working with U2. He can completely focus on the music, which he does 100%. He gets to immerse himself in a day job that he loves. He gets to hang out with the lads. It's all good.

And they're in the studio now?

They're well down the road on the new album and it sounds good. That's all I'm saying.

Adam has spoken to Hot Press. The full interview isnt online:

Adam Clayton on "the devil inside"

Here's part of the interview where he talks about the new album - via @u2

We're here to discuss Adam's patronage of Walk In My Shoes, April 12's mental health day of action, but before getting down to business, he's willing to talk about the day job.

"We very much want to have a record out by the end of the year, September, October, November; that kind of time. We're working with Dangermouse who's a smart guy. He's on it; he's excited. It's a great team and feels very liberating at the moment -- anything goes. We have an abundance of riches, we could make three or four different records and justify that to ourselves, but to make the best record you can, you have to steer away from the ones you can make easily. We're really trying to get into territory that we're not comfortable in. If that makes sense..."

I don't envy them trying to pick one album's worth of material that basically spans 5 years of various work. I hope they have re-written enough of it that is seems seamless.

Very happy to hear that they're purposefully staying away from their comfort zones. That tells me they want to grow again. They have enough experience now to realize what not to do in order to create the right environment for the growth tension necessary to forge new (at least for them) musical territory as they made a habit of doing in the 90s (in the 80s as well, but then it was due to their limitations and naivety -- and as such, it was almost by default).

Very happy to hear that they're purposefully staying away from their comfort zones. That tells me they want to grow again. They have enough experience now to realize what not to do in order to create the right environment for the growth tension necessary to forge new (at least for them) musical territory as they made a habit of doing in the 90s (in the 80s as well, but then it was due to their limitations and naivety -- and as such, it was almost by default).

Let's just hope that what Adam is saying is true and stays true. Much of that sort of rhetoric was said before NLOTH, which was significantly watered down (though I still love the final product to death). I do think that U2 learned some lessons from NLOTH, however.

Also, Vancouver is one of the best places in the world, so I approve of your avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom