St Mary’s Butts, Reading, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I look back on some of my parts in that first thread and cringe. I was so dumb and young.

There was a Song Survivor tournament in EYKIW in early 2008 where a number of threads had turned into quite extended chats. First round for Pop really took off and we maxed out the thread way before the poll was due to close, so we continued the chat in a random different thread - the joke was that we'd get EVERY old thread closed for reaching the post limit. At this point we had no proper name but referred to the "postwhorehouse".

We hatched the plot for the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein gig and after that we were banished! I can't recall who started the first thread in the designated chat area (Varitek maybe?) but whoever did it called it the "Australia Superthread" because a large proportion of posters either lived in Australia or were deemed to be honorary Australians. From that we decided each subsequent thread would go somewhere else in the world - initially some were chosen just for their obscurity but of course the rude and funny names quickly took over.

Ahh. Thanks for that. I knew there had to be more to it.

I don't think I ever told you I appreciated your Oils review of the Sydney show you went to Ax. I think they just released an official version of that show on DVD.

More European dates again this summer if you're in the neighborhood.

Hoping they will do another run of Australia, it would be great.

And oh dear everything I posted on Interference back in the day is cringeworthy in some capacity or another!

It’s crazy how many people from those threads don’t come to interference anymore. I was all nostalgic when looking back and just seeing all those screen names.

I also miss the days when I’d present alternate U2 song choices per album and get railed because U2 is and was perfect in their selections.

im sort of generally pulling myself back from social media or any online community at this pt, its sort of tiring for me

I also miss the days when I’d present alternate U2 song choices per album and get railed because U2 is and was perfect in their selections.

Literally the only U2 album with a tracklist that holds up against anything you or I could make is Boy, and that's mainly because 11 O'clock Tick Tock is mixed differently and the seamless segue from The Electric Co. to Shadows and Tall Trees ruins putting it in the obvious spot between those two. Also there is the lack of a good studio Lost on a Silent Planet or Cartoon World to squeeze in.

Every other album can, nay must, be modified.

But yeah we were always on the same page about this.

im sort of generally pulling myself back from social media or any online community at this pt, its sort of tiring for me

Social media is life wtf.

Yeah, I’ve always been grumpy they never properly recorded 11 O Clock Tick Tock. With the issues surrounding October, that would have also been a good place for it to show up re-recorded.

Because I’m just a little bored right now, alternate realities!

Boy (1980)
01. I Will Follow
02. Twilight
03. An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
04. Out Of Control
05. Stories For Boys
06. The Ocean
07. A Day Without Me
08. Another Time, Another Place
09. The Electric Co
10. 11 O Clock Tick Tock

Singles: I Will Follow, 11 O Clock Tick Tock, Out Of Control
B-Sides: Another Day, Touch, Things To Make And Do, Boy/Girl
Note: 11 O Clock Tick Tock would have been re-recorded with the same production as the album, and so would all of the B-Sides.

October (1981)
01. Gloria
02. I Fall Down
03. I Threw A Brick Through A Window
04. Rejoice
05. Fire
06. Tomorrow
07. October
08. Scarlet
09. The Cry/Is That All?
10. Shadows And Tall Trees

Singles: Gloria, Fire
B-Sides: With A Shout, Stranger In A Strange Land, J. Swallo
Note: Instead of The Electric Co going into Shadows And Tall Trees (which I think musically fits better on October), it’s quirky brother goes into it instead.

War (1983)
01. Sunday Bloody Sunday
02. Seconds
03. New Year’s Day
04. Like A Song
05. Drowning Man
06. The Refugee
07. Two Hearts Beat As One
08. A Celebration
09. Surrender
10. 40

Singles: New Year’s Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, A Celebration, Two Hearts Beat As One
B-Sides: Party Girl, Treasure, The Endless Deep, Red Light
Note: A better take of 40. And also, I love The Refugee so it will always be on my War alternates.

Under A Blood Red Sky (Live, 1983)
01. Gloria
02. 11 O Clock Tick Tock
03. I Will Follow
04. Out Of Control
05. Sunday Bloody Sunday
06. October
07. Surrender
08. The Cry/The Electric Co.
09. New Year’s Day
10. 40

The Unforgettable Fire (1984)
01. A Sort Of Homecoming
02. Pride
03. Wire
04. The Unforgettable Fire
05. Promenade
06. 4th Of July
07. Bad
08. Love Comes Tumbling
09. The Three Sunrises
10. MLK

Singles: Pride, Bad, The Unforgettable Fire
B-Sides: Indian Summer Sky, Bass Trap, Elvis Presley And America, Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come, Boomerang I, Boomerang II
Note: Probably the hardest cuts from album to B-Side, but I’ve become more a fan of the shorter album.

Wide Awake (Live, 1985)
01. A Sort Of Homecoming
02. I Will Follow
03. Like A Song
04. MLK
05. The Unforgettable Fire
06. October
07. New Year’s Day
08. Pride
09. Bad
10. 40

The Joshua Tree (1987)
01. Where The Streets Have No Name
02. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
03. With Or Without You
04. Bullet The Blue Sky
05. Running To Stand Still
06. Red Hill Mining Town
07. In God’s Country
08. Trip Through Your Wires
09. One Tree Hill
10. Exit
11. Mothers Of The Disappeared

Singles: With Or Without You, I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For, With Or Without You
B-Sides: Race Against Time, Deep In The Heart, The Sweetest Thing
Note: Not a single change to the track listing. The big change here is the B-Sides being saved.

Outside It’s America (Live, 1988)
01. Where The Streets Have No Name
02. In God’s Country
03. Exit
04. Bullet The Blue Sky
05. Running To Stand Still
06. New Year’s Day
07. I Will Follow
08. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
09. With Or Without You
10. Pride
11. Bad
12. 40

Rattle & Hum (1988)
01. Desire
02. Angel Of Harlem
03. Spanish Eyes
04. God Part II
05. Hawkmoon 269
06. Silver And Gold
06. Luminous Times
07. Walk To The Water
09. Van Diemen’s Land
10. Heartland
11. All I Want Is You

Singles: Desire, All I Want Is You, Angel Of Harlem
B-Sides: When Love Comes To Town, Love Rescue Me, A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel, Hallelujah Here She Comes
Note: The collaboration songs go where they belong. This would be one of the strongest albums for me.

Sun City (1989)
01. Helter Skelter
02. All Along The Watchtower
03. Everlasting Love
04. Unchained Melody
05. Dancing Barefoot
06. Paint It Black
07. Stand By Me
08. Satellite Of Love
09. People Get Ready
10. Night And Day

Singles: Everlasting Love, Dancing Barefoot
B-Sides: Jesus Christ, Fortunate Son
Note: All songs would be from the same sessions that produced Everlasting Love/Unchained Melody/Dancing Barefoot and have that vibe.

Lovetown (Live, 1990)
01. All Along The Watchtower
02. God Part II
03. Desire
04. Everlasting Love
05. Spanish Eyes
06. Angel Of Harlem
07. Dancing Barefoot
08. Exit
09. Bad
10. Hawkmoon 269

11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. Bullet The Blue Sky
13. Running To Stand Still
14. October
15. New Year’s Day
16. 11 O Clock Tick Tock
17. With Or Without You
18. Where The Streets Have No Name
19. Pride
20. All I Want Is You

Yeah, I’ve always been grumpy they never properly recorded 11 O Clock Tick Tock. With the issues surrounding October, that would have also been a good place for it to show up re-recorded.

Yeah it's weird to me that it never got redone, especially as it was such a live staple.

I definitely wouldn't do alternate lists these days like I did in the past, but good stuff. :up: Surprised no JT changes, as I think that album can really benefit from a modified order.

Twitter sucks ass dawg

Twitter is the one decent place to hang out at the moment, try harder m80.

Yeah it's weird to me that it never got redone, especially as it was such a live staple.

I definitely wouldn't do alternate lists these days like I did in the past, but good stuff. :up: Surprised no JT changes, as I think that album can really benefit from a modified order.

I’ve done so many different Joshua Tree playlists over the years, but in this kind of alternate history scenario where I’m saving songs for Rattle & Hum, it’s a little more difficult.

Heartland goes on all my Joshua Tree playlists for sure.

I've just never liked the sequencing of WOWY into Bullet. Very cumbersome.

Yeah, that’s a rough one. But Bullet doesn’t really fit well back to back with anything on that album, or from that album’s sessions.

Got some programming started for the 8th and 9th of of the 10 song album I’m working on. I started it in mid-December, injures my back fairly severely the day after Christmas, and still am somehow about halfway through tracking. I might finally finish something, and the irony is that the first line of the first song is “I never finish anything I start.”

This is the first project I’ve done that’s guitar-based and all me, with no band members to have to pander to, no one to have to wait for their schedule to line up with mine for recording, etc. I do have the start of a live band for when I’m ready to do that (drummer, keys, and possibly a second guitarist/background vocalist - just missing a bassist). But these are all songs I wrote on acoustic guitar so I could play them live alone if no one was free.

I’ve been looking into what it would cost to press to vinyl, and it’s good that I’m getting an idea about that now so I can harvest a few of my organs to sell on the black market to pay for it. Heh. Might have to try to sell a bunch of CDs, make some money at shows, and do a kickstarter or something to get it to vinyl.

Last edited:
Bono rang and wants to know more about your methods.

Good luck mate. :up:

I figured someone would make that joke. It would have been much quicker in the old days. As for the album, I don’t really care how many people listen to it once it’s done. I’m doing it 100% for myself. And if others like it? That’s only a bonus.

U2 content below
One thing I’ve been thinking about in my nearly non-existent free time lately is what the perfect U2 concert would be for me. The first thing would be that no matter what songs, they’d be performing it as though they were at their live peak (which to me is 1987-1993). The second thing is that it wouldn’t feature any one album as heavily as when they tour post album. The third thing is they wouldn’t pander to the casual fans. The fourth thing is they’d play for over 3 hours.

Peak U2 performing this setlist is something I wish I could see.

01. Lemon
02. Fez-Being Born (extended outro, extra verse)
03. A Sort Of Homecoming
04. Heartland
05. Exit (no Gloria ending)
06. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
07. Until The End Of The World
08. Last Night On Earth
09. Moment Of Surrender
10. All I Want Is You
11. Bad (All I Want Is You snippet)
12. Running To Stand Still (guitar version)
13. Dirty Day
14. Acrobat
15. Wake Up Dead Man (full band electric)
16. Love Is Blindness

Intermission (October plays instrumentally)

17. Zooropa
18. Mysterious Ways (extended guitar solo)
19. Your Blue Room (abbreviated version)
20. New York
21. Miami (abbreviated version with zero “my mammy”s)
22. California
23. Stay (full band electric, not plodding)
24. City Of Blinding Lights

Encore (Race Against Time plays instrumentally)

25. Where The Streets Have No Name
26. I Will Follow
27. Pride (but with the biting guitar tone from the album)
28. New Year’s Day (including third verse)
29. 11 O’Clock Tick Tock
30. “40”

Second Encore (Scarlet plays instrumentally)

31. Beautiful Day
32. Vertigo
33. The Blackout
34. The Troubles
35. With Or Without You (with the Shine Like Stars verse AND the Do You Hear Me Coming? verse from One)

Represented:
Boy Era: 2
October Era: 2
War Era: 2
Unforgettable Fire Era: 3
Joshua Tree Era: 5
Rattle & Hum Era: 2
Achtung Baby Era: 4
Zooropa Era: 4
OST Era: 2
Pop Era: 3
All That Era: 2
How To Era: 2
No Line Era: 2
Innocence Era: 2
Experience Era: 1

Ahh the old days.

Can't believe earlier this year I actually just... forgot to visit here for a whole month.

Time moves on eh.

It's that time of year.

The movie this time? We're breaking tradition. Instead of Hallmark, we're going with a Lifetime movie this year.

Were watching Jingle Belle:

A songwriter returns to her hometown to write music for the annual Christmas Eve Pageant and is shocked to learn that her ex is directing the show.

Starring Ashley from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Rudy and Vanessa from the Cosby Show, and a dude from All My Children.

We started watching this movie nearly a month ago and it was so hilariously bad that we chose to shelve it for this occasion.

To the surprise of no one, the protagonist is a business woman on the go with pain from a broken relationship they bury with a workaholic approach to life.

Last edited:
The Masonville Christmas Festival sign has four different fonts on it.

Wild guess: it will be the last one because the town is running out of money.

How magnanimous to send her back to her hometown for inspiration. Usually it's not a paid vacation in these movies.

Why are the love interests in these movies always townies with a secret talent? Are men considered flight risks in the Hallmark/Lifetime holiday cinematic universe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom