Speculation thread: predict U2's next era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:ohmy:
The worst part? After the Lee DeWyze cover, this is a possibility.

Isn't it frightening? I can't imagine how that conversation on lyricism would go...

BONO: When I write lyrics I tend to search within myself for deep longing and personal strength and loss to find passionate lyrics that are sometimes darkly poetic.

CHAD: Well I happen to go with a much more realistic approach, Bono. When I write lyrics, it's REALLY about experience. I f**ked my girlfriend, took a photograph, burned her place to the ground, and then told her to look at the photograph afterward. Real talk.

Isn't it frightening? I can't imagine how that conversation on lyricism would go...

BONO: When I write lyrics I tend to search within myself for deep longing and personal strength and loss to find passionate lyrics that are sometimes darkly poetic.

CHAD: Well I happen to go with a much more realistic approach, Bono. When I write lyrics, it's REALLY about experience. I f**ked my girlfriend, took a photograph, burned her place to the ground, and then told her to look at the photograph afterward. Real talk.
I can't really imagine Chad speaking so eloquently. And by "so eloquently," I mean "in complete sentences."

I can't really imagine Chad speaking so eloquently. And by "so eloquently," I mean "in complete sentences."

I thought he would've overdosed on illicit substances halfway through that sentence.

U2 needs to mix it up next era.....something way out of the ordinary. I say get Flood back on board and do an all acoustic album with some percussive noises (like Boy's glass shattering, etc...) and release it as 2 separate EP's with an acoustic tour in between.

That would be fresh and force some real creativity. I really hope we don't get Bomb II, but with money McGuinness, you know that's how it's gonna end up....

U2s next era....retirement I dont see them being around much longer. Maybe 3 more years.

Next era...hmm..

As far as the band's image goes, I don't think that's going to change much anymore; which is sad, because they look pretty badass when they try drastic new looks (example: Pop-era) sometimes. I thought if anything, they would try to change their look when No Line came out, but once again, everything about the album had a feel like they were going to be more experimental but half-assed it because someone got scared about selling records. So, we never got the full effect of a new band with new ideas. We just ended up with Bono with a haircut.

All this talk lately about No Line being a failure because it didn't have a monster single kind of makes my stomach turn, because now I know that's all they're going to be trying for this time around. Which again makes it difficult for them to truly try something crazy. However, I think they realize that some change is needed. This talk about Danger Mouse producing would indicate they are going in somewhat of a new direction. So, after all this ranting, I say it's too hard to predict. The band does seem a little bit in turmoil about what's next though. Frankly, I'm excited about all these potential releases...I mean, that's already breaking from the norm.

Personally, I think the Danger Mouse news shows that something promising could happen. If U2 take a "broken bells" approach to their next album, even a turd like Glastonbury could be sonically reworked into something beautiful. As long as they don't fire Danger Mouse and run back to Steve Lillywhite, something new and exciting could be on the horizon. Personally I hope SOA dies a quick death... go with the best they have... get it out quick..then go back to Dublin and release three albums without touring them. I bet the songwriting would vastly improve if they weren't writing jingles to advertise a massive tour.

I think Arcade Fire's latest is a fine example

Agreed.

:up:
Probably one of the best examples of the strength of the album format in a long time.

Definitely.

except for Sprawl II... that song blows.

You watch your mouth.

That's the best song on the album.

I've always liked you.

:angry:

Right there with you. See above.

I'm going to have to side with Cori here, as Sprawl II is epic.

Isn't it? Not my favourite on the album, but right up there. Love it.

I found it to be a little overbloated and with filler:shrug:

:huh:

meh... regine's voice on lead vocals annoys me.

I'm sure your voice would annoy me.

:wink:

Ready To Start.

But then Sprawl II, yeah.

:up: Ready to Start is my favourite (this week) and a great song to start off a concert with. Good times.

I think U2 will find inspiration once they stop trying to rewrite Beautiful Day and One. They gotta realize that One came into this world almost by accident, a case of jamming, a case of everyone latching on to a feeling and riding it. So Bono's gotta stop worrying about writing songs that will "change the temperature of the room" or "set the world on fire" or whatever the hell else he has said, and just allow him and the boys to fuck around til something great happens. Out of that, when no one's expecting it, a great tune (like MOS) will come out of nowhere. And out of this will come U2's next era. The era of MUSIC FIRST!

Or else they can just continue doing what they've been doing, a little of this, a little of that, anthems, "experiements", pop songs, scattershot albums covering all the bases, reworking 5 year old songs, big wait, long tour, "our year", Letterman's house band for a month and a half, new Apple product ad, "Edge is on fire", etc...

a case of jamming, a case of everyone latching on to a feeling and riding it. So Bono's gotta stop worrying about writing songs that will "change the temperature of the room" or "set the world on fire" or whatever the hell else he has said, and just allow him and the boys to fuck around til something great happens

you think this comes easily, to any artist?

why do you think it takes them so long to make albums?

It's a mind-set. It's about creativity and putting music first. Sure, they'll have songs in the arsenal they can work on and expand...but what they do with those songs should be of service to the songs and the songs only! That's what I'm talking about. Write for the music, and the music alone, without worrying about how the public will swallow it. With less people buying albums, and the internet being a way to digitally release music, coming up with a blockbuster #1 album should be the furthest thing from their minds. The fact is, Bono so craves another #1 hit. That's what will not come easy! Not what I suggested.

It doesn't have to take long. Look at Zooropa. That came relatively quickly. If the band is feeling the inspiration, it will come easily. It's second, third, fourth, and 5th guessing an album because it doesn't have enough radio potential that stalls albums.

It's a mind-set. It's about creativity and putting music first. Sure, they'll have songs in the arsenal they can work on and expand...but what they do with those songs should be of service to the songs and the songs only! That's what I'm talking about. Write for the music, and the music alone, without worrying about how the public will swallow it. With less people buying albums, and the internet being a way to digitally release music, coming up with a blockbuster #1 album should be the furthest thing from their minds. The fact is, Bono so craves another #1 hit. That's what will not come easy! Not what I suggested.

It doesn't have to take long. Look at Zooropa. That came relatively quickly. If the band is feeling the inspiration, it will come easily. It's second, third, fourth, and 5th guessing an album because it doesn't have enough radio potential that stalls albums.

I don't diasgree at all..

I just don't think we'll see the "wrtie music for music's sake" approach from this band again.. they're artists; they crave attention, validation. it's the fuel behind their ambition..

The creativity does come quickly to them, the bravery to release what they've created without tinkering and tinkering comes much slower nowadays. Look at the creation of a number of NLOTH tracks in one take, or improvisation like MOS.

If U2 are willing to alter the songs they write just to sell more records wouldn't you call that selling out?

No one really wants to say it, but I think they have to a point.

If U2 are willing to alter the songs they write just to sell more records wouldn't you call that selling out?

That's probably the weakest definition of "sell out" I've ever seen.

All bands "alter" their songs.

You write it, you revisit it, you may not like this transition so you change it, you might not like that hook so you change it. It's called song writing.

If they are "altering" their songs in a way they don't feel is the best, or what they are passionate about just to sell records then yeah they've sold out.

Agreed BVS, and I have no problem with that, I have a problem with multiple years of second guessing and over-production, honing your songs is one thing, spit-shining them until all the spark is covered up is a whole different story. Then there's leaving excellent material on the cutting room floor. :doh:

Which isn't to say that's what I think may be going on with the Danger Mouse sessions, we obviously have no idea, I was saying that specifically about the ATYCLB/HTDAAB/NLOTH triptych.

you think this comes easily, to any artist?

why do you think it takes them so long to make albums?
If the artist doesn't have any will of trying to push himself out of his comfort zone and to discover new ideas, new formulas, new ways of acting (which is what being an artist really is, that's the major challenge of an artist, for me), then you can be sure that it won't come easily. That's what happens with U2 since the last decade: accomodation to the same formulas, no will of trying something REALLY new, being shy and putting the stakes on the financial income, instead of the financial income that something groundbreaking can bring too.

That's probably the weakest definition of "sell out" I've ever seen.

All bands "alter" their songs.

You write it, you revisit it, you may not like this transition so you change it, you might not like that hook so you change it. It's called song writing.

If they are "altering" their songs in a way they don't feel is the best, or what they are passionate about just to sell records then yeah they've sold out.
Yeah, but... again, it depends on the reasons why you revisit your compositions as an artist and why you write and rewrite and rewrite your material:

1) Because you're not happy with it / Because you've changed your mind about since since you wrote it / Because now you have an album/book or a very strong idea for it and now you need to make it "fit" because, in the end, you feel it's strong and "adaptable" enough to preserve its original idea and, yet, make it fit on the new concept;
2) Because you feel it's not a potential radio hit / Because publishers and your major will reject it / Because you feel it won't be something that will set the mood of a stadium audience or impress your "typical" fan/listener/reader/viewer.

Do you see the difference?

Yeah, but... again, it depends on the reasons why you revisit your compositions as an artist and why you write and rewrite and rewrite your material:

1) Because you're not happy with it / Because you've changed your mind about since since you wrote it / Because now you have an album/book or a very strong idea for it and now you need to make it "fit" because, in the end, you feel it's strong and "adaptable" enough to preserve its original idea and, yet, make it fit on the new concept;
2) Because you feel it's not a potential radio hit / Because publishers and your major will reject it / Because you feel it won't be something that will set the mood of a stadium audience or impress your "typical" fan/listener/reader/viewer.

Do you see the difference?

And you're able to read their minds as to why they've revisited their compositions?

Do you see how you often come off as arrogant?

And you're able to read their minds as to why they've revisited their compositions?

Do you see how you often come off as arrogant?
I just offered you two different and paradoxal visions of why an artist revisits its work and reworks it. That the way it is. Lately, it doesn't seem to me that U2 belongs to the option 1).

But you base it on nothing except the fact that it doesn't fall into your narrow definition of what "artistic vision or integrity" is...

If the artist doesn't have any will of trying to push himself out of his comfort zone and to discover new ideas, new formulas, new ways of acting (which is what being an artist really is, that's the major challenge of an artist, for me), then you can be sure that it won't come easily. That's what happens with U2 since the last decade: accomodation to the same formulas, no will of trying something REALLY new, being shy and putting the stakes on the financial income, instead of the financial income that something groundbreaking can bring too.

That doesn't really make sense. "Trying to push yourself out of the comfort zone" is certainly not choosing the first sound and songs that comes to mind so it can't be an easy process and as a result obviously needs more time. Passengers for instance is not U2 trying to push themselves just making the first music that came to their mind. Some of you can think that it is much more interesting than anything U2 has released this decade but my opinion is that it is totally superficial and like Larry said it's basically U2 being lazy.

The new direction they are aiming at now is certainly going to be a much bigger challenge than just releasing NLOTH part II as they wanted to do initially.

Well they're selling out stadiums so I guess they probably want to sell lots of singles as well. That's their "drug of choice".

I personally like how they altered Mercy for the Brussels show and it feels complete at this point, whereas the original was just meandering and the lyrics were partly stand-ins to flesh out a melody.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom