South Sandwich Islands Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the implied minimum has always been around 100 or so. There were a few raised eyebrows over Khan's 110. :lol:
i know! i even remember some people stating they weren't going to vote for me because of that. :rolleyes: oh well, there always seems to be people who don't like mine (or any specific list) in particular, yet don't bother stating why.

Uh, I think the latest one is just the one I showed you guys last. So yeah, I'll just go get that for you if you want.

super3ry7.jpg

like so

Awesome. :drool:

Glad to have my 66,666th post sorted. I had no idea what I was going to do for it!

Yeah ... I can't say I was happy with how some people would criticise some tracklists for being "too short". If they're cohesive and make for a good listening experience, what does it matter if they fall 50 seconds or 50 minutes short of the maximum?

I almost agree with this. But if someone's falls under half the maximum, but has a cohesive list? Well, if that were me, I'd just make a second list and say they're two different cds. That's just me, but if I had the option of taking either one or two mix cds with me to a desert island, I wouldn't say "Fuck 2 cds with good flow, give me just 1!"

Pizza sounds so good right now ... :drool:

Pizza always sounds good to me. :drool:

I had a couple of slices for lunch at uni today. Now I feel like some more, but I'll stick with gnocchi napoli for dinner.

:lmao: Brutal death, in my experience, is just blast beats accompanied by chugging downtuned guitars playing two chords at most. It's usually the least sophisticated death metal.

Yeah ... I can't say I was happy with how some people would criticise some tracklists for being "too short". If they're cohesive and make for a good listening experience, what does it matter if they fall 50 seconds or 50 minutes short of the maximum?

Hmm...I definitely think that's the direction I want to go in. :wink: Seriously, I'm definitely going for shoegazy-progressive metal with lots of deathgrowls and atmosphere.

Oh, I definitely agree. I only gave Mr. V a hard time about his 70 minute list because, well, it's about 90 minutes short of the maximum, not even able to fill up one CD. I'll probably enjoy it and all, but that's awfully short. It also puts him at a disadvantage, because unless the listener likes all 15-20 of his songs, someone else is going to have a list with more songs they will enjoy.

who's the person all the way to the left on top of the train? it looks like either meat loaf of chris farley :uhoh:

Shaun Micallef as Milo Kerrigan.

It's an Australian thing. And also, I don't know if the non-Australians are familiar with him, but that's Ben Cousins in the lower left corner, the ex-captain of the football team I follow who was addicted to cocaine.

Pizza always sounds good to me. :drool:

I had a couple of slices for lunch at uni today. Now I feel like some more, but I'll stick with gnocchi napoli for dinner.

That reminds me of when my brother was in Uni - he used to brag about the pizza they served there. Apparently, it was orgasmic. :drool:

I almost agree with this. But if someone's falls under half the maximum, but has a cohesive list? Well, if that were me, I'd just make a second list and say they're two different cds. That's just me, but if I had the option of taking either one or two mix cds with me to a desert island, I wouldn't say "Fuck 2 cds with good flow, give me just 1!"

While I can see your logic, I figure I'll judge the list on its self-contained merits, i.e. how it's constructed and the songs used, rather than on what else hypothetically could have been done. I mean, if somebody's got a killer concept that's perfectly stated in 80 minutes of music, I'd rather they submit that than water it down with some filler that doesn't improve the tracklist.

i drink so infrequently these days, i don't know what i crave. aside from drunk dialing, of course.

and it's no big thing, i don't care much for pizza so it's not making me hungry :wink:
Tonight was pretty unexpected. I hadn't actually planned to get drunk until I ended up bashing my knee and getting this huge knot on it.
Then I was like, "Well shit, might as well kill off the pain!" :lol:

Shaun Micallef as Milo Kerrigan.

It's an Australian thing. And also, I don't know if the non-Australians are familiar with him, but that's Ben Cousins in the lower left corner, the ex-captain of the football team I follow who was addicted to cocaine.
ahh, thanks. i didn't know who that was on the bottom either, so thanks for clarifying!

While I can see your logic, I figure I'll judge the list on its self-contained merits, i.e. how it's constructed and the songs used, rather than on what else hypothetically could have been done. I mean, if somebody's got a killer concept that's perfectly stated in 80 minutes of music, I'd rather they submit that than water it down with some filler that doesn't improve the tracklist.

Well, that said person could create a completely new and different concept with a second cd worth. As soon as that said list gets over 80 minutes, though, my point is moot. Which is why 80:01 would be a good minimum. Because at that point, it's 2 cds, which is the maximum time limit allowed.

Hmm...I definitely think that's the direction I want to go in. :wink: Seriously, I'm definitely going for shoegazy-progressive metal with lots of deathgrowls and atmosphere.

Oh, I definitely agree. I only gave Mr. V a hard time about his 70 minute list because, well, it's about 90 minutes short of the maximum, not even able to fill up one CD. I'll probably enjoy it and all, but that's awfully short. It also puts him at a disadvantage, because unless the listener likes all 15-20 of his songs, someone else is going to have a list with more songs they will enjoy.

I expect to sincerely enjoy that, you know.

Right, yeah, but if the songs work for the listener, the brevity could come to be an advantage. Getting to the point and all. Just look at how often people bitch about double albums - "sure, I love the band, they make good songs, but a single album would've been so much better!"

So what've you been drinking this evening, Serena? Clearly something strong enough to mildly affect your typing for a change. :wink:

Right, yeah, but if the songs work for the listener, the brevity could come to be an advantage. Getting to the point and all. Just look at how often people bitch about double albums - "sure, I love the band, they make good songs, but a single album would've been so much better!"

Usually I like double albums, though. I mean, I really like Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, I really like All Things Must Pass, I really like The White Album. Hell, I even really like Use Your Illusion. The Wall isn't the best, but it's all right. Thrice's Alchemy Index is top notch, too.

Usually I like double albums, though. I mean, I really like Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, I really like All Things Must Pass, I really like The White Album. Hell, I even really like Use Your Illusion. The Wall isn't the best, but it's all right. Thrice's Alchemy Index is top notch, too.

See, I honestly cannot think of a double album I like - or at least a double album that I think is better as a double album than it could've been as a single album.

I expect to sincerely enjoy that, you know.

It's the one I'm least looking forward to recording. It's a very challenging genre to play, the death growls are going to be harsh on my voice, and while I may be a decent guitar player, metal is not really my style. I'm going to give it my best, however. It should be good for a laugh, though I certainly expect the other three tracks to be better.

I can definitely understand that point of view as well. It's funny, because I'm doing the exact opposite this time out; instead of cutting to the chase, I'm giving the listener way more variety than they could ever want. It's fun to watch the reactions to each disc, because it varies greatly, there is no consensus favorite, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom