Songs U2 should be ashamed of?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BANZAI said:
Are there any U2 songs the band should be ashamed they ever made them?!

I find it hard to name one song, but i think i would go for The Playboy Mansion. I just can't stand some lyrics ("Big Mac bigger than you think", "Michael Jackson is history") :no:

Isn't it 'Michael Jackson's History', the album instead of that michael jackson IS history?

One simple question , does everytime that Axver makes a post about songs , is he like really :drunk: or something ? :coocoo:

Say that U2 s'd be ash. of UV and One , among others :eyebrow:

Also is only me that likes Playboy Mansion ? Myself I rather that a lot than Miami for example .

Last edited:
Re: Re: Songs U2 should be ashamed of?

POP-ROMANCER said:

Isn't it 'Michael Jackson's History', the album instead of that michael jackson IS history?

Means the same thing essentially, just abbreviating "is" to"'s", because lyrics don't have to be grammatically correct. You'd basically need to ask Bono what he meant.

All things considered though, even the knowledge of MJ's history, his abusive father, his brother's sexual activities while he was in the same room, his reputation with children, whether true or not, has contributed to the declination of his popular status. He IS history now, perhaps because of HIS history.

Who know's, maybe Bono pronounced it this way to have dual meanings and ambiguity.

I'll just add the list of U2 songs I don't love in this post, rather than making a new one, though I don't think they should be 'ashamed' of any of their art;

- red light

- a day without me

(the solo bit is decent, the rest is meh, the effect sounds brutally dated)

- Peace on earth

the intro part it too long, if the drums started up sooner in the song, it might have been better. I repect the message, and once it gets going, the song isn't half bad, but the first minute or so is bad enough to never make it that far!

- Miracle Drug

The song is balance by the first half being poor and the 2nd pretty cool, the solo and Edge's verse. But it's not enough to save the mediocre first half of the song on a regular basis.

-I fall down

this song is just, meh!

-Some days are better than others

see above comment!

I think some of the songs mentioned here are what the commenters feel ashamed of as U2 fans.

But the fact is that many of the songs mentioned are still played live, and will continue to be played live.

Silver And Gold
Elvis Presley And America
Playboy Mansion
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Acrobat
Wild Honey
Drowning Man
Street Mission
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
A Man And A Woman

Re: Re: Re: Songs U2 should be ashamed of?

innocent_eyes said:

Means the same thing essentially, just abbreviating "is" to"'s", because lyrics don't have to be grammatically correct. You'd basically need to ask Bono what he meant.

Actually it does make a difference in the meaning. The 's is showing possesion if Bono is referring to the album History. If the lyric was "Michael Jackson's car", it does mean Michael Jackson is car. I'm not trying to be rude here, just trying to clarify.

Last edited:
taking off gloria and october I would say the October album.
And I like Miami, specially live!! I love that scream MIIIAAAAAMMIIII!!!!

Playboy Mansion? Like it when I'm :drunk:

theu2fly said:
Silver And Gold
Elvis Presley And America
Playboy Mansion
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Acrobat
Wild Honey
Drowning Man
Street Mission
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
A Man And A Woman

acrobat?:|

Trip Through Your Wires
silver and gold
one tree hill------I despise this song:|
peace on earth
stuck in a moment
elevation
vertigo
sometimes you cant......: :blahblah:
all because of you
a man and a woman
original of the species

Thats it , couple more comments this turns into one more..... :| HTDAAB bash , plus I've seen a lot of non sense already here , this thread is loc. for me , I'm off

Personally for me, Sweetest Thing, Stuck In A Moment, All Because Of You and Van Diemens Land, Know its personal choice but cant believe people hate One, Elevation, Vertigo, and Sometimes.:crazy:

zoobeatle said:
Personally for me, Sweetest Thing, Stuck In A Moment, All Because Of You and Van Diemens Land, Know its personal choice but cant believe people hate One, Elevation, Vertigo, and Sometimes.:crazy:

vertigo and one have been over exposued beyond believe really , makes me cringe when i hear people say vertigo lol.

Re: Re: Songs U2 should be ashamed of?

innocent_eyes said:

Those lyrics are the heart and soul of the themes of the Pop album that make it so fantastic.

Pop, is esentially using popular culture, (music, movies, celebrities, advertising, etc) to critique popular culture. This is the Irony of the 90's!

It's funny that you mentioned the most significant lyrics, I would argue, on the whole Pop Album as throw away lines, whereas they are arguably very significant!

I know the album Pop is criticizing popular culture. But I just think the lines "Big Mac, bigger than you think" and "Michael Jackson, history" are too simple and obvious lines. Criticizing pop culture can als be done in a more sophisticated manner.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Songs U2 should be ashamed of?

BANZAI said:

I know the album Pop is criticizing popular culture. But I just think the lines "Big Mac, bigger than you think" and "Michael Jackson, history" are too simple and obvious lines. Criticizing pop culture can als be done in a more sophisticated manner.

pop wouldnt of been pop if it was wrapped up in joshua tree style lyrics though, thats what i loved about the 90's :drool:

vaz02 said:

vertigo and one have been over exposued beyond believe really , makes me cringe when i hear people say vertigo lol.

yes but that doesn't mean its a bad song and I don't think U2 are ashamed of them.

Probably Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses because I read somewhere that Bono cringe when he hears his voice on it.

I'm surprised to see songs like one and acrobat, among other good songs on some of these lists. I agree some of thoses songs aren't great, but even if you don't like them, would you really be ashamed of writing a song that some renoun as the best rock song of the nineties(one), also some of those songs are really good too (i.e. one, ultraviolet, orginal of the species, acrobat), but anyways now that i've gotten that out of the way i would be ashamed off

-elvis presley and america
-playboy mansion

that'd be it, everything else they've done is pretty respectable

Last edited:
Axver said:
Plenty.

- Red Light
- Trip Through Your Wires
- Love Rescue Me
- One
- Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
- Ultra Violet
- Babyface
- The Playboy Mansion
- Stuck In A Moment
- In A Little While
- Wild Honey
- Peace On Earth
- Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
- A Man And A Woman
- Original Of The Species

I cannot comprehend how any of those songs made albums even though brilliant ones like Wild Irish Rose did not.

What a ridiculous list of songs. You're clueless.

I remember reading a review of Pop when it came out, stating that the "Playboy Mansion" was the best song on the album. I've always been a fan of that tune. Wished they played it live.

Peace On Earth

Too much cheese in that tune.

I can think of about 7 or 8. I often cite Babyface as the worst song they've written. I will say this, though: Elvis, the Beatles, the Stones have far more songs to be ashamed of. U2 is flawed, to be sure, but their catalog is far more consistent than any other significant band in history.

Think of your typical male, 17 year old high school student. Now think of him writing songs like The Ocean, Into the Heart, or Stories for Boys.

The only thing I think U2 should be ashamed of is the people who entitle themselves "fans" and spend their time bitching about almost every action the band makes (even if it sound ridiculous) and live stuck in the glorification of the actions of the past.

i'll get the HTDAAB bashing out of the way. That whole album is shameful, sans Crumbs, All Because..(the drive to it is good enough), Fast Cars and Vertigo (the recording is crap, but judging by recent live performances I've seen, such as the Conan obrien show, it has potential and I've written another thread stating how much better it is when heard shitfaced!)...but moving on

All That You Can't Leave Behind: Wild Honey and Kite are kinda annoying to me. Peace On Earth I actually like (the bluntness of it i guess) and New York is majorily hated but I like the nitetime vibe to it

Pop: Every song is great except for If God Will...not a bad song actually good but nothing amazing. Playboy Mansion is awesome

Zooropa: No complaints. Even The Wanderer has an eerie awesome quality to it

Achtung Baby: Love it. "One" is a great song no matter who played out it is. But I've never gotten bored of it. Maybe it's just that I like its original intention, the gay son coming out to a father. There's a lot of emotion at stake in that senario. Also Bono has said and I agree that it's a sour song. Not a hippy shtick let's all dance around the fire and sing song..it's actually about losing someone.

Rattle: Silver and Gold, never understood what the deal was. When Love Comes To Town always pissed me off. Love Rescue Me is like suicide.

Joshua Tree: Perfect. Wouldn't change anything. Even the Bsides are equally amazing.

TUF: Indian Summer Sky is an ok song. Elvis Presley and America always intrigued me for some reason. U2's got balls releasing a song like that.

War: Here's where real shameful stuff comes in. "Refugee" and "Red Light" are friggin ugly as sin. Definitely two of my least favorite songs. Makes HTDAAB look good in comparison.

October: I actually enjoy every song. Believe it or not.

Boy: Stories for Boys. Never got the attraction. It's an embarrassing song in my opinion. That's about it really.

As for B sides and everything...I like The Sweetest Thing. Too bad U2 decided to go this route in everything they've released since the rerelease of this song. Anything else? Hmmmm...I haven't heard everything yet. I'll get back to u.

Axver, with all due respect, you should be institutionalized!!!!

Original of the Species is my favorite song!!!!!

In A Little While is the best song on All That.....

Love Rescue Me?

I disagree with you about every song on that list, except Red Light!

Now, have they released some A-sides that should have just been B-sides? Hell yeah! Check out half of Zooropa and half of All That for starters....

And yes, Wild Irish Rose is a masterpiece.

The Interference ''so called-fans '' are a bunch of .......... , ........ the worst fans in the world

In my opinion:wink:

Ok since I read All of you , so I'm in the need to defend little J_NP just one thing , Good Neutral Did I say something like bad or offensive ? Well I kinda wrote .......... , ............ , could be tons of things , it's up to one's interprets. Could be smart , High IQ guys , or could be anything that it's in any person's mind .

And the 2nd part , well , like I said It's my opinion , I think that if people got the right to say that a guitar is the worst of the world , a solo or a song as well , I think I got the right to say that the level of peoples as fan arent very hight , right ? :) I believe so ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom