Songs U2 need to Bring back on 360 Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They've fallen back on old standards. They clearly don't have confidence in their new material and should go away until they do, or commit to really digging into one of the better discographies in rock. What they're doing now is lazy.

I'm not saying that the pre-83 stuff is bad; it's great! But if Zoo TV was 1/2 ten year old songs, that would have been sad. Nobody would care about the tour today if they'd dropped all the Achtung songs and replaced them with War-horses (hehe).

Achtung, Zooropa and Pop were not obscure, they were NEW, and massive. And I don't care if NLOTH didn't "take off". Commercial super-success means fuck-all. The songs were good live, and they should have kept them. They should have kept Blue Room and UF...I laugh at the U2 'fans' who call the latter an obscurity...how many records did UF and best of 80-90 sell??

Just like everyone else has said, U2 plays the hits because they are HITS. Everyone in the crowd knows them, everyone in the crowd loves them and goes wild for them. U2's entire philosophy during live shows is to put on the most magnificent show you will ever see and for some die-hard fans in the crowd, their idea of a "magnificent" show would be if U2 played the entire POP album in the middle of the set. But U2 can't do that, because the majority of the crowd would just sit down and be like, "Huh?"

U2 plays the hits for a reason. And they're not going anywhere and that is a good thing. I think they "made up" for it on the European/Australian leg by debuting six unreleased songs, including having a rotating slot every single night right after Still Haven't Found. They also brought out the tour debuts of HMTMKMKM and AIWIY which were both amazing. Their main goal is to provide an amazing concert that every fan in attendance will go home and say, "Wow, I'm never going to forget that."

Because you're not going to forget any U2 concert you go to. It's U2.

I agree with edge-evans if they just switched in songs like An Cat Dubh or Out of Control in place of In a Little While or Unknown Caller i think some of the older fans would be happy and some of the younger fans (me)

I agree with edge-evans if they just switched in songs like An Cat Dubh or Out of Control in place of In a Little While or Unknown Caller i think some of the older fans would be happy and some of the younger fans (me)

:up: I personally agree—although there is a reason they play the songs from their latest album—because it's the one that's supposed to be played on tour since it's the one just released.

And to sum the whole live situation up, Bono did say that the live atmosphere of U2's songs is very different and the songs are different live. When they started out they played live mostly, and on any of the tours there are always songs that just did not work out live. The songs that do, even, are changed sometimes because it's a completely different situation, playing the music live, and the sound needed is different. Some work, some don't, they end up finding what they know works as a live set.

Just like everyone else has said, U2 plays the hits because they are HITS. Everyone in the crowd knows them, everyone in the crowd loves them and goes wild for them. U2's entire philosophy during live shows is to put on the most magnificent show you will ever see and for some die-hard fans in the crowd, their idea of a "magnificent" show would be if U2 played the entire POP album in the middle of the set. But U2 can't do that, because the majority of the crowd would just sit down and be like, "Huh?"

U2 plays the hits for a reason. And they're not going anywhere and that is a good thing. I think they "made up" for it on the European/Australian leg by debuting six unreleased songs, including having a rotating slot every single night right after Still Haven't Found. They also brought out the tour debuts of HMTMKMKM and AIWIY which were both amazing. Their main goal is to provide an amazing concert that every fan in attendance will go home and say, "Wow, I'm never going to forget that."

Because you're not going to forget any U2 concert you go to. It's U2.

You just did the exact opposite of me by editing your post and adding more to it. He's all yours now, take it away.

Come on, U2! Why can't you PLEASE just TRY TO THROW YOUR ARMS AROUND THE WORLD and give us a good time on our LAST NIGHT ON EARTH, you MOFO's? Seriously, I'm tired of hearing about all this LOVE IS BLINDNESS, just man up already, fly to NEW YORK, and ask us, WHO'S GONNA RIDE YOUR WILD HORSES? Because my DESIREs are very important right now and I really wish that you would start RUNNING TO STAND STILL, go a little OUT OF CONTROL with GLORIA and pick up those CRUMBS FROM YOUR TABLE and give us a real show!!

I agree and I liked your comment very much :lol:

BTW, I liked the Streets and puppies/kittens/whatever comment a bit better :lol:

yes i liked that one.
I probably should have just kept it and made another post for my rant, but this guy was just really pissing me off and i made an impromptu decision.

whatever!! :wink:

Word to whoever said that if U2 played the POP album people would be like what? What planet are you on?? My guess is that a few of the 10 MILLION PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT POP might be at the concert. It was a huge record!! I saw Pop Mart and guess what, it was the 2nd sold out stadium show.

Every U2 record except for the first two and the last one are gigantic! They could pick 25 random songs and the crowd would know most if not all of them, and a bunch would be hits.

can't you see that they are doing the same old thing, and that they grew their reputation by being unpredictable? That they never gave people what they wanted?

You're proving the argument that U2 fans are the most ignorant music fans around.

Word to whoever said that if U2 played the POP album people would be like what? What planet are you on?? My guess is that a few of the 10 MILLION PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT POP might be at the concert. It was a huge record!! I saw Pop Mart and guess what, it was the 2nd sold out stadium show.

Every U2 record except for the first two and the last one are gigantic! They could pick 25 random songs and the crowd would know most if not all of them, and a bunch would be hits.

can't you see that they are doing the same old thing, and that they grew their reputation by being unpredictable? That they never gave people what they wanted?

You're proving the argument that U2 fans are the most ignorant music fans around.

1.)I'm all for them playing a couple Pop songs- preferably Gone, Please or Last Night On Earth, but Pop is definitely less well known than most U2 albums. Boy is a bigger, more famous and well known among the fan base and general public album than Pop is at this point.

Also, Popmart, though I personally loved it, came far from selling out many nights, especially in America. It was, in terms of percentages(maybe not raw number because it was stadiums), U2's least attended tour.

Zooropa was also far from a huge album. It certainly did not have any big time radio hits on it, and most of the general public/casual fan crowd viewed it as a weird little side project for the AB/Zoo TV era.

U2 has many, many people attending shows these days who were fans of all the 80s work and checked out either in 1991 with AB, 1993 with Zooropa or 1997 with Pop and didn't come back until ATYCLB.

2.)There are plenty of songs they're not playing that the crowd would either know or not know and respond to well because they're great live songs(Electric Co, Ultraviolet, etc). I agree with you there. But they definitely couldn't pick 25 songs at random and have all or even most people know them with a stadium tour of the size of 360. No way.

3.)U2 has always played the hits, and they've always stayed away from loading up the set with deep tracks and obscure b-sides. They've played some, for sure, but they're not Pearl Jam or Bruce.

And with U2, it's harder because they, unlike most other bands their age, still release relevant, well selling albums with hits on them. Think of the songs since 2000 that younger people attending the shows are going to need to hear- BD, City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo and Elevation. Bruce and Tom Petty don't have this problem, nor do the Stones or John Fogerty or Paul McCartney, etc. You get the idea.

As is the case with any act of U2's stature and career length, there are songs that people coming to a U2 show expect to hear. That is just as fact, and it can't be changed. Any other view is entirely unrealistic.

Take this list(I may be forgetting some hits/warhorses but the basic idea is there)

I Will Follow, New Year's Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, Streets, Bullet, WOWY, Still Haven't Found, Angel of Harlem, All I Want Is You, Desire, Mysterious Ways, Until The End, Beautiful Day, Elevation, City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo.

They have to play not all, but 75% of these at each show. So that's 12 songs out of 24 or 25. So while they play the hits/warhorses, they definitely do not just stick to the hits. You never see all 17-20 of them.

And U2's set lists have always been pretty much done the same way. There is a basic outline, but a few songs are rotated in and out, played in a little different order, etc each night. The Boy, War and TUF tours had some of their most static set lists ever. JT a little more variety. Zoo TV very static save for the rotating piece on the B-stage, Popmart even more static, Elevation about the same variety as JT. Lovetown and Vertigo are really the only tours where they really mixed things up.

360 is easily their least static set list for a stadium tour. Just look at all the different songs they played in 2010 as compared to 2009.

My complaint is really not with variety, which has always been about the same or could use maybe just a little improvement, or with the hits, because that's just ridiculous to think they won't play them.

My complaint with 360 is how they've chosen the other half of the show that isn't the hits/warhorses. ATYCLB overload with no Pop or Zooropa tracks even though they'd fit very well. No digging deep into War and JT, which they definitely need to do. They don't need to keep playing Miss Sarajevo and Walk On every single night. They could stand to replace the MLK/Scarlet slot with something more substantial, etc.

Most importantly, please understand that I am not saying they're perfect or that I'd jump off a bridge if they told me to. If I were writing the set list, it would be different than it is right now. Probably not different in the way most people here want(the 1st thing I'd do is get 2 Hearts and Trip Through Your Wires in there), but certainly different.

:cute: Aww, we have a new little troll on our hands.

Guys, just a hint. Don't bother arguing with them. They're convinced of their own opinion and won't hear otherwise. I tried, but it gets old after a few. :wink: Good luck with this one.

My whole point is that in catering to the fans, or what they perceive as the fans' desires, they are putting on far from the best show they could, and no great art ever comes from playing down to expectations. That is not what made U2 great, and it has resulted in music fans - I'm not talking the general public, the casual fan; I'm talking about people who are knowledgeable and passionate about music - treating U2 as a joke. Young people have no idea how great U2 were, and it is because they've become safe panderers. Just like in the 80s and 90s, young people had no clue about the glory of 60s and early 70s Rolling Stones.

My whole point is that in catering to the fans, or what they perceive as the fans' desires, they are putting on far from the best show they could, and no great art ever comes from playing down to expectations. That is not what made U2 great, and it has resulted in music fans - I'm not talking the general public, the casual fan; I'm talking about people who are knowledgeable and passionate about music - treating U2 as a joke. Young people have no idea how great U2 were, and it is because they've become safe panderers. Just like in the 80s and 90s, young people had no clue about the glory of 60s and early 70s Rolling Stones.

1.)You really don't know what the hell you are talking about. You don't even reason out what you say.

2.)U2 always did about the same thing when it comes to perceived expectations/desires of people at the shows. Songs like I Will Follow, Gloria, Electric Co, New Year's Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, 40, etc were played all the time well after they were released because the fans expected it. They are the Until The End of The World's and One's and Beautiful Day's of the 1980s.

3.)Even if you have a general preference for the older stuff(which I do most of the time), you can't deny that U2 has written a ton of great songs since 2000.

4.)You keep talking relevance and has been status. Somehow, this doesn't fit with U2 being in the middle of what will easily become the highest grossing tour of all time when they are all in their 50s!

5.)The mods really should have banned you by now, because all you are is a troll. You've registered here simply to trash U2 by stating opinion as fact and haven't contributed anything positive in the way of discussion. There are plenty of people here generally dissatisfied with the way U2 does things today but they respectfully and articulately lay out their reasons why.

What are we waiting for, mods?

but seriously, U2's dance version of '...Crazy Tonight' is fantastic. An amazing re-working of it that makes the album one sound dull in comparison depending on what mood you're in. The thing is though, it makes me think how amazing it would be if they just brought back Mofo.

It'd sound fantastic right after The Return Of The Stingray Guitar, would be a great way to start a show with those two then after the crowd are properly pumped up, THEN bring in Beautiful Day. Or even just at the start of an encore...the "Zoo TV Encore" as some people call it during Vertigo was amazing, they should have done something with Pop and kicked it off with Mofo. it's definitely one of their best songs live.

edit - YES! Even Better Than The Real Thing definitely needs to come back! I remember that fuss being made over the tribute band being contacted for video footage for U2's Glastonbury set last year. Didn't it lead to people assuming they were going to be playing the song and using the footage as some tongue in cheek backdrop. The idea of hearing that live got me so excited though until Bono did his back in.

Starting off with the Crazy remix would actually work really well I think. Same light show, same performance. I can see that working and getting the crowd pumped up. Shame they never tried it.

1.)I'm all for them playing a couple Pop songs- preferably Gone, Please or Last Night On Earth, but Pop is definitely less well known than most U2 albums. Boy is a bigger, more famous and well known

I'm just going to stop you right there. I like Boy > Pop by a LONG shot, but what you just stated is not factually correct. Please name me the hits on I Will Follow - I mean, Boy - again? I'll list them for you: I Will Follow. Then, by virtue of the Elevation tour, Out of Control. Marginally, Electric Co - but even that, alot of people don't know that one. The only song that still gets radio play is I Will Follow. Pop has Discotechque, Staring At The Sun, Last Night on Earth and Please, all which charted. And Gone, which is the Pop version of Out Of Control basically - made famous by being played on tours alot. Finally, to completely crush your argument: ALBUM SALES. Pop has sold AT LEAST twice as many albums as Boy.

As for Zooropa...Zooropa is a Grammy-winning album that has sold 4 times the number of copies Boy has. End of discussion.

1.)You really don't know what the hell you are talking about. You don't even reason out what you say.

5.)The mods really should have banned you by now, because all you are is a troll. You've registered here simply to trash U2 by stating opinion as fact and haven't contributed anything positive in the way of discussion.

What are we waiting for, mods?

"we"??! :lmao: I'm just gonna edit what I wrote because it's not even worth it.

I've read Hollow's posts and don't agree with most of them, but I'd take them any day over your page after page of self-serving ranting and bullying. Honestly hate coming into threads and reading this crap.

I'm just going to stop you right there. I like Boy > Pop by a LONG shot, but what you just stated is not factually correct. Please name me the hits on I Will Follow - I mean, Boy - again? I'll list them for you: I Will Follow. Then, by virtue of the Elevation tour, Out of Control. Marginally, Electric Co - but even that, alot of people don't know that one. The only song that still gets radio play is I Will Follow. Pop has Discotechque, Staring At The Sun, Last Night on Earth and Please, all which charted. And Gone, which is the Pop version of Out Of Control basically - made famous by being played on tours alot. Finally, to completely crush your argument: ALBUM SALES. Pop has sold AT LEAST twice as many albums as Boy.

As for Zooropa...Zooropa is a Grammy-winning album that has sold 4 times the number of copies Boy has. End of discussion.

You're only completely crushing the argument if you go by charts and sales alone, which one can't do.

Especially when we are comparing U2's debut album to one released AFTER they'd become the biggest, most anticipated and prominent act out there. Of course in terms of raw numbers, we are going to see more copies sold of Pop than of Boy. Same for Zooropa. You're coming off the 1983-1991 run with the name "U2" and then putting out 2 albums. People are going to buy them, if only out of curiosity and heightened anticipation for what the standard bearers will do next.

I should definitely concede your point with the charts. However, all of these you mentioned with the exception of Staring At The Sun have 2 things in common:

1.)They were very not very big at all in many parts of the world, in fact, they barely charted. I'm at work now, so I can't look, but I think N. America had very little radio exposure to Please, LNOE and not nearly as good a 1st single run on the radio for Discotheque as say, The Fly, WOWY, BD, Vertigo, etc. How many non-1st single songs, like Streets, Still Haven't Found, One, MW, SBS, etc were much bigger hits than Discotheque?

The only big charting single was Staring At The Sun, and this is deceptive. There was a good discussion of this in a "peeling off those dollar bills" thread a while back. Someone wanted to argue just on the charts that BD was less successful than SATS!! Someone else correctly pointed out that while the latter charted higher, the former had much more relevance and was much better known among the general public/casual fans as a U2 hit song.

Same with Boy, the album. Even if people don't know the songs besides I Will Follow, it is now, in retrospect, highly regarded as a very good to excellent debut album by a big name act.

I Will Follow I have no doubt pops up more on the radio than anything from Pop these days. You know enough about U2 history, you've lived enough of it. Honestly, do you think, starting 5 years on for each album, that Pop outpaces Boy in sales? Boy probably sold far more copies from 1985 to 2000 than Pop has since 1997.

Additionally, you are in a tribute band and I know you absolutely love U2's 80s work.

In a non challenging and genuinely curious way, I want your opinion on what I perceive here:

Most tribute bands(like 80% of the ones I have seen) assume that their "U2 audience" is like the casual U2 audience in that they want to hear 1983-1991 and 2000-2004 material primarily. Songs from the early days and the Zooropa/Pop eras are usually left out as this is when the mainstream thinks U2 went a bit too "out there."

At the end of the day, we are both well aware of the sales of Zooropa and Pop. It's a question of, do we find, in terms of how they've aged to the general public, what the mainstream rock press says, U2's actions(playing more early stuff than Pop/Zooropa stuff on Elevation and Vertigo), that Zooropa and Pop are big on people's minds compared to:

Boy, War, TUF, TJT, R&H, AB, ATYCLB and HTDAAB

????????????????

Where I live, no, you don't find that.

Hope I made some sense here.

Bottom line, I love Zooropa and Pop, but for Hollow Island to expect 5 or 6 songs from the 2 albums to be in the set in place of 5 or 6 hits/warhorses is entirely crazy.

That's what I was getting at........

"we"??! :lmao: I'm just gonna edit what I wrote because it's not even worth it.

I've read Hollow's posts and don't agree with most of them, but I'd take them any day over your page after page of self-serving ranting and bullying. Honestly hate coming into threads and reading this crap.
[/QUOTE]

Didn't we make amends, my good friend, Gvox??

And a while back?

I simply pointed out how none of his posts are positive nor do they explain his viewpoints. They all amount to pretty empty arguments and "U2 suck, Radiohead is God!"

Look at what I told hollow about the set lists. No bullying there, just reason. Do you agree with him that U2 should be slammed for not having 50% or a bit more of the set be hits?

In answer to your question: only drunk morons in biker bars don't want to hear Zooropa and Pop stuff. Most half-sophisticated ears with any taste in U2 and music in general regularly request material off both albums, many times to a greater extent than Boy. You're also wrong about which plays more on the radio songs from Pop and to a lesser extent Zooropa still get more rotations on alternative rock stations in major markets than do songs from Boy. And, you're wrong on sales, also.

You didn't simply point something out. You tried to get an online lynch mob to declare him a troll and have him banned. Which, as you seem blissfully oblivious to, is so deliciously ironic coming from you...honestly, it's just hilarious

Make another mad-lib of it and perhaps the band will hear you.

hahaha!

I'm going to make one with all the songs that I DON'T want to hear on the tour. That will probably be the one they actually see and say, "Hey! I forgot about those songs! Let's debut Red Light and we'll play Grace instead of IALW!"

Haha just be careful... when someone doesn't agree with what you want it often doesn't get a response. Doesn't work the other way round though :lol:

In answer to your question: only drunk morons in biker bars don't want to hear Zooropa and Pop stuff. Most half-sophisticated ears with any taste in U2 and music in general regularly request material off both albums, many times to a greater extent than Boy. You're also wrong about which plays more on the radio songs from Pop and to a lesser extent Zooropa still get more rotations on alternative rock stations in major markets than do songs from Boy. And, you're wrong on sales, also.

Thing to remember from my original post: I never once said Boy sold more than Pop, just that it is more well known and highly regarded by the casual music world.

First, Zooropa didn't sell 3 times what Boy sold. Boy sold about 3.8 million while Zooropa sold 8 million. A little more than 2 times by my calculation.

And let's take do the math entirely in your favor when there is a close call. Knock Boy to 3.5 and kick Pop to 7 and that's JUST double. Not at least double. And that's unlikely.

The latest figures I've seen are from 2006, and they have:

Boy-3.8m
Zooropa-7.5m
Pop-6 or 7m

And Boy is probably under counted given the remasters in 2008.

Saying things and insisting others are wrong doesn't make it true.

And you didn't address my points about Zoo/Pop coming on the heels of JT and AB while Boy was a debut album. You're comparing apples and oranges here.

Pop, though I quite enjoy it, is much, much less well regarded than Boy in the music world today.

Zoo/Pop, we're talking 2 albums that many casual U2 fans don't even know exist!!

We can both talk about where we live, but does anyone have the radio numbers?

I don't think I have EVER heard a Zooropa or Pop song on any major or alternative radio station in Boston.

1 or 2 times, I've heard Stay on our only independent radio station. And this was like 5 years apart.

In contrast, I Will Follow and A Day Without Me pop up quite often, and Out of Control is never out of the question.

I'm much more likely to hear Gloria and live versions of Bad on the radio than I am anything at all from Zooropa or Pop.

Does anyone have the sales figures in the years after release?

I highly doubt that Pop kept selling and getting discovered years after its release like Boy did.

You are pulling this discussion further and further away from my original point. Which was you can't realistically expect U2 to put 5 or 6 Zoo/Pop songs in place of 5 or 6 hits/warhorses.

You didn't simply point something out. You tried to get an online lynch mob to declare him a troll and have him banned. Which, as you seem blissfully oblivious to, is so deliciously ironic coming from you...honestly, it's just hilarious

1.)Moderators aren't a lynch mob, they're a small group of people designed to do a dispassionate job of a relatively mundane nature: keep the forum in bounds. Trolls aren't allowed, and all this Hollow Island character has done is post stuff to get a rise out of people and trash U2. It's pretty clear.

2.)Talk about irony..........you always accuse me of taking this board too seriously and then start using terms like lynch mob to describe a simple observation that he seems to fit the forum criteria for a troll. Think of what lynch mobs are associated with.....then think of what I said..........

That's not to mention your discounting of the main points I made to make a snide personal observation when you weren't even the poster I was talking to.

So you go out of your way to create personal conflict.....a reputation you had long before I registered here.:up::up:

Thanks for proving my point! :up:

I didn't twist or reinvent anything you said, it's still all there for all to see, regardless of how you are now trying to re-spin it. And it's still deliciously ironic.

You are in fact the biggest troll on the board, pal. Keep up the good work.

I dont mean to be picking sides here because I don't care too much for an argument... but what do you expect when you write:

only drunk morons in biker bars don't want to hear Zooropa and Pop stuff. Most half-sophisticated ears with any taste in U2 and music in general regularly request material off both albums, many times to a greater extent than Boy.

Also, I feel that Pop absolutely rode the success of Zooropa and Zooropa absolutely rode the success from Achtung Baby. Stick Boy in their album-release position and it could've sold more/been more acclaimed than it is/charted better.

Also, Hollow Point isn't a troll just because he has rash, unorthodox opinions that he's quick to defend in some less-than-welcoming manner. Still sounds very much like a U2 fan to me.

what do you expect when you write:

Well I was only speaking to his specific question about what I've seen from people at U2 tribute shows. But I guess I was overgeneralizing even in that regard because the drunken morons in biker bars usually bellow out "PLAAAHYYHY SHUNDAY BLUUUDDDY SHUNDAAYYY" - which is from War, not Boy. :lol:

Also, I feel that Pop absolutely rode the success of Zooropa and Zooropa absolutely rode the success from Achtung Baby. Stick Boy in their album-release position and it could've sold more/been more acclaimed than it is/charted better.

Arguably. And to be clear, Boy (and October and War) are HUGE favorites of mine. However I do feel that when you take out the great songs on Zooropa and Pop and stack them up against the great songs on Boy, they come out even and perhaps even slightly slightly ahead in terms of the maturity of the songwriting and the adventures they were taking with the sounds.

Also, Hollow Point isn't a troll just because he has rash, unorthodox opinions that he's quick to defend in some less-than-welcoming manner. Still sounds very much like a U2 fan to me.

Very much so, in fact.

Thanks for proving my point! :up:

I didn't twist or reinvent anything you said, it's still all there for all to see, regardless of how you are now trying to re-spin it. And it's still deliciously ironic.

You are in fact the biggest troll on the board, pal. Keep up the good work.

As usual, you don't discuss any point made and no mention of the numbers.

I never said you twisted anything, just that you've changed the subject.

You're damn right, it's there for all to see. I pointed it out numerous times myself. I was talking about the irrational expectation of having 5 or 6 Zooropa-Pop songs in the set in place of 5 or 6 warhorses.

Then you jumped in with your "delicious irony" crap.

I don't troll.

Look at how its defined here.

I let my passions get the best of me sometimes, but I don't troll.

You clearly can't see that it is you who provokes people personally in the 1st place with the snide b.s. that is usually irrelevant.

I'll stand by the 99% of my posts that are well reasoned and calm.

Whatever.....I have no use for a grown man acting like a little kid.

Back
Top Bottom