Songs of experience - will this be the thread that we see new music?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All this still aligns with what many have been guessing, and a lot of it makes sense given the timeline.

Someone else pointed this out, Adam is wearing the same outfit in the recording photo as he is wearing in the Sam Jones photo shoot one, which suggests they were both taken at the same time, and probably very recently. Oh, what detectives we all are!

The "recording" pic could just as easily be rehearsing, an in-studio session for radio/TV, even behind-the-scenes footage for the delayed HBO doco.

Album could be in the bag and this is just promo stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Picture was taken yesterday at Malibu:
Cmf7Q3NW8AAcT0_.jpg:large

So the plan was to finish the album during the long weekend? Or before they take a break in August?

The deadline was this weekend, but I could imagine them going on until the end of the month. Vacation august is the real deadline ;)
As a side not: Bono not wearing all black? Wahouuuu ;) He seems is relatively good shape, except for that rest of blond hair ;)

The deadline was this weekend, but I could imagine them going on until the end of the month. Vacation august is the real deadline ;)
As a side not: Bono not wearing all black? Wahouuuu ;) He seems is relatively good shape, except for that rest of blond hair ;)

Bono should give the white t and blue jeans a try

Big news if true.

Deadline just passing, and taking August off, line up perfectly with a September release.

Only thing I'm truly skeptical about is the tour resuming this year. If they announce after August, there'd be barely any notice for it starting up in September/October. Even Nov/December would be quite short.

Unless they announced everything in the next week or so - SoE for September, and ticket sales for shows in November or December (gives them September, October, possibly November to promote and rehearse).

That would be quite feasible. But I'd be surprised if they did something so traditional (rather than drop the album quickly).

Big news if true.

Deadline just passing, and taking August off, line up perfectly with a September release.

Only thing I'm truly skeptical about is the tour resuming this year. If they announce after August, there'd be barely any notice for it starting up in September/October. Even Nov/December would be quite short.

Unless they announced everything in the next week or so - SoE for September, and ticket sales for shows in November or December (gives them September, October, possibly November to promote and rehearse).

That would be quite feasible. But I'd be surprised if they did something so traditional (rather than drop the album quickly).

Agreed. If there are any concerts this year, the tickets are going to have to go on sale soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, if the TOUR resumes in September.... that's two months.. that's far too short notice. No way that would happen.

Yep. I could see them announcing the tour in the fall along with the album maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that the recap by U2 en Espana and hence their source didn't confirm a US leg for fall.

So I guess early August we should have a better idea if new album and tour are happening. The tour happening in 2016 seems very unlikely. They're not giving us a 30 day window to buy tickets.

Tour starts November. Album released Early September. Tickets go on sale August with release of first single.

I want this to be true

I guess the Red hot chili peppers are giving away their new album to everyone who buys tickets for their tour (GIVE IT AWAY, NOW!). So far only European dates have been announced. That seems like a good way to get it out there.

Forgive me if I read about that earlier in this thread. I can't remember where I read that.

I'm hoping for a conventional announcement and release. In my opinion, that will show that they are very confident in the music and don't need another gimmick to gain attention.

even if they do play in 2016 that means that they barely rehearsed for this tour, especially for the new materials and all kinds of songs that wasn't played in 1st and 2nd leg of the tour.

even if they do play in 2016 that means that they barely rehearsed for this tour, especially for the new materials and all kinds of songs that wasn't played in 1st and 2nd leg of the tour.

They've barely rehearsed for a tour that I have no clue as to when it will continue.

I just turned to google to read up again on Rick Rubin and stumbled upon this old RS interview:
U2 in Their Own Words | Rolling Stone

Here's the part about Rubin and NLOTH sessions with him:
The Edge: I think had we finished the songs, it would have worked, but we sort of hadn't really finished the songs. It's typical for us, because it's in the process of recording that we really do our writing. But we'd almost have to make a record with Brian [Eno] and Danny [Lanois] first, then go and re-record it with Rick Rubin. And we may do that. We did start material with Rick, which I still believe in. I would love to get back to that project at some point. I wouldn't rule it out.

Adam Clayton: Rick was great; he was very focused and I was excited. The material was of a very high standard, but it sort of became clear that the things that we were interested in — in terms of, once we have a song, we're interested in the atmospherics and the tones and the overdubs and the different stuff you can do with it — were things that Rick was not in the slightest bit interested in. He was interested in getting it from embryonic stage to a song that could be mixed and put on a record. And we're almost the kind of band that goes, "Well, sure, you've got it to that point, but now how far can you push it?" He was committed to that process of getting it to that finished stage, and then at the point when we were kind of excited to push it further, that's almost the point when he lost interest.

And I think initially, we had sort of said, "Well, you know, it's gonna be interesting to do a sort of stripped-down, sort of Rick Rubin, back-to-basics kind of record," and then as we as we kind of examined that it was like, "Well, all that would be doing is kind of making a kind of slightly better version of what we've already done." And we just didn't feel that the next record should be that.

I'm sure we'll go back to those Rick Rubin tunes and that Rick Rubin session, but I guess we just thought, at the time, that wasn't what we were interested in. We weren't interested in redefining the basic U2. It would've been, you know, no overdubs — just band takes and here it is.

Larry Mullen Jr.: Simple as this, I've a huge fan of Rick, he's a very nice man, an incredibly talented man, but we weren't ready. He's got very, very great skills but we are just slightly slow and we don't learn quickly and we thought we were better than we actually were. So when we went in to record the songs, he was confused and so were we. He did a lot of work, but they weren't right. And it's nothing to do with him. At all. And it's not his fault. It has been reported that he was dropped off the project and whatever — but that's not true, it was more that we needed to have something to work off of, and that's what Brian and Danny do.
Kind of strange to go back to a producer who wasn't a good fit last time around. Or could they just be recording there even though he might not be a producer?

I just turned to google to read up again on Rick Rubin and stumbled upon this old RS interview:

U2 in Their Own Words | Rolling Stone

Here's the part about Rubin and NLOTH sessions with him:

Kind of strange to go back to a producer who wasn't a good fit last time around. Or could they just be recording there even though he might not be a producer?

Did I miss something? Where did you get the idea they were working with Rubin again?

It's part of what U2 en Espana posted. It was posted here two or three pages ago. Here's the link again if you missed it:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1365942006756381&substory_index=0&id=657144754302780

And here's the content in english:
"THE DEADLINE FOR THE ALBUM IS THIS WEEKEND"
Over the last weeks social networks filled pages with lots of rumours regarding U2's new single, new album and new leg of the tour.
We usually don't spread those rumors basically for two reasons:
1. This is a place linked to a book that is focused on U2 story and news always related to Spain.There are many pages doing an amazing job by updating U2 news basically every day. That's not our "business".
2. We prefer to wait until that "rumour" is officially confirmed unless we get the information personally and from what we consider a reliable source.
Having said that, we got some news we would like to share. We had the chance to have a conversation this weekend with two people directly linked to the band. When we say directly we mean very linked. Also both of them worked on the design of Innocence & Experience tour.
We basically did not ask anything directly but what we got can be summarized as follows:
1. "Deadline for the album was this weekend"...hence the crazy activity that the band has had for the last three weeks when they have been working at Rick Rubin's Shangri-la studio in Malibu.
2. "Album will for sure be released very soon, before the end of the year".
3. "Band will take August on holidays as usual but after summer they will resume the tour that as you know had the Innocence part and now the Experience part". Those people didn't share if this new leg will start in September, October or when. They didn't share if it was US leg or not.
So, apart from the "deadline" thing, the rest is not new but it's quite aligned to the information we have been reading on internet recently. For us is more than that...it is almost a confirmation coming from the source that it comes.
The band have been working on their next album that should be called "Songs of Experience" since the "Songs of Innocence" recording sessions. They even mentioned in an interview that they took a studio on tour so they could "take advantage of the energy they got on stage". The truth is that recording sessions got more frequent once the tour was over and after Christmas (and January) holidays.
They have been doing sessions near Dublin and in California since then. The schedule has been as follows:
February: Three weeks in Dublin (2 final weeks of Feb + 1st week of March).
March: Off....except those first days mentioned above.
April: Three final weeks in Dublin.
May: Two first weeks in Malibu. Then the 2 final weeks in Dublin again and some days at the beginning of June.
June: Working there since the second week of June till now.
Dublin sessions are said to have taken place at Danesmoate (Adam's house) and Strathmore House (near Bono's house) (both not confirmed).
All those Malibu sessions took place at Rick Rubin's Shangri-la studio.
So, this is it.... album and tour seem to be very close so announcement should happen also very soon.
They are ready to rock again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom