Songs of Experience MegaThread - Meltdown or Getdown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They can still tour in spring if they release the album in Q1 of 2017. Would need to be early, but I wouldn't rule that out yet.

I'm just tired of the wait from this band since the late 90s

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The album is delayed because Larry was an emotional wreck after Harambe was killed.

He penned lyrics to express his grief. Not sure if his song will make the album.

grandpa-simpson.gif

I'm making a list of excessive emoji-users, dang bottom-feeders, those who are actually upset, those who throw up wild ideas for the sake of conversation, those who throw up wild ideas out of sheer desperation, and those who are ironically upset, and calling your churches.

Last edited:
I must say, it's interesting to get two such contradictory pieces of information from two trusted sources. Either nothing happening this year, and no spring tour, OR spring tour still on, album next month likely, nothing indicating otherwise. :hmm:

On the one hand, the band getting cold feet and ditching this year would be nothing new. In fact it makes more sense for them to do that than to follow through on an album given it's only been two years since the last. A quick follow up would be the anomaly. So them scrapping 2016 seems most likely.

But then, knowing that The Best Thing has clearly got some momentum, with a remix by a known dj, along with the lack of work the band has been doing lately really indicates that they're finished and happy with what they've done. And as has been mentioned, booking Terry Lawless for several weeks in the build up to the iheartradio gig shows they have something special planned.

Jesus. It really looks like it could tip either way.

Have to say that to me, a one-off single like Ordinary Love/Invisible seems the most likely outcome. I get the vibe that they are happy with The Best Thing, but not content with the actual album. Ah well, i'd rather get a standalone single than fuck all, with a war-horse laden setlist in 2 weeks.

Seems the 2 choices right now (i'm being pessimistic) are whether we'll get 'Invisible part 2' in a couple of weeks, or nothing at all :reject:

I'm making a list of excessive emoji-users, dang bottom-feeders, those who are actually upset, those who throw up wild ideas for the sake of conversation, those who throw up wild ideas out of sheer desperation, and those who are ironically upset, and calling your churches.

That's about 70% of us

Have to say that to me, a one-off single like Ordinary Love/Invisible seems the most likely outcome. I get the vibe that they are happy with The Best Thing, but not content with the actual album. Ah well, i'd rather get a standalone single than fuck all, with a war-horse laden setlist in 2 weeks.

I'm optimistic. We had that instagram in June of "SOE being born". Band goes on vacation to relax before the scheduled appearances. Now getting back together to rehearse. I think we will hear new music and iHeart and Dreamforce.

That's one thing that really gives me hope. It's not like they've been in the studio up until today, and then said "actually, we need more time here", as was the case with NLOTH (i think). They seem to have quite clearly wrapped up, departed from the studio and gone on holiday, with The Best Thing being a clear sign of a finished product.

The only issue i can see is if they basically used august to get some space, reviewed their work with clear heads and decided they weren't happy with it (but have already committed to the iheartradio show). But that would be quite decadent. Considering these imminent gigs, allowing Kygo to debut a song, and their outspoken narrative of 5 year gaps between albums being over, it would be odd for them to take such a lax approach to finishing up.

Insider knowledge aside, an imminent album still seems more likely... unless something catastrophic happened in the last few days.

Two trusted sources?

Let's be serious.

I know...right? I amazed at how much speculation is considered to be the truth and folks just run with it. It's like a bunch of kids spreading rumors and they take on a life of their own.

who said they allowed kygo to play it?

i mean, i think it's likely they did. but still. he could've just done it early on his own.

The album is delayed because Larry was an emotional wreck after Harambe was killed.

He penned lyrics to express his grief. Not sure if his song will make the album.

Bonus points to the first person who photoshops Harambe into the SOI cover in place of Larry's son.

Bonus points to the first person who photoshops Harambe into the SOI cover in place of Larry's son.

If U2 wrote a hit song about Harambe they would become relevant to a whole new generation of dank memesters who would forgive them for the forced download.

Nothing this week gives me some of the panic some here seem to be experiencing. At the very least we know they are performing at two fairly high-profile gigs this year, and considering how much they've talked about SOE likely happening this year, it wouldn't surprise me if we heard something around then.

That's not to say there may not be changes to the plans, delays, etc., but outside of the echo chamber of this forum and so-called "sources" I don't see anything that changes how I've been feeling about SOE thus far.

If iHeartRadio and Dreamforce come and go and there is still nothing... no single, no album news, etc., then we can panic. For now, all is good.

So we've got Kygo, DJ Khaled, Skrillex sightings over the summer...

I think I can see what's going in here.

Instead if the bonus acoustic versions that we got on Songs Of Innocence, fairly obvious that there will be a bonus disc of remixes of all songs on this one.

And again... In order to have remixes, you need to have finished music.

Thanks! I'm slightly worried now, though. My only comfort is that this might be about this new music format.
Edit after seeing the previous post: could be right. But why would they be working on a video?

So we've got Kygo, DJ Khaled, Skrillex sightings over the summer...

I think I can see what's going in here.

Instead if the bonus acoustic versions that we got on Songs Of Innocence, fairly obvious that there will be a bonus disc of remixes of all songs on this one.

And again... In order to have remixes, you need to have finished music.

I had the same thought recently! A second disc with alternate, dance-based mixes . It's a cool mirror of SoI.

I'm still getting a 'wrapping up' vibe, and it looks like DJ Khaled is filming something - so if that's a u2 music video getting made (a stretch, i know) then that's a great indicator of something soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom