Songs of Experience Episode VII: The Dreamforce Awakens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Their take of "innovative" and "attention grabbing" kind of backfired last time ;) So they might take it easy with SOE. If not, I really hope they get someone on board who knows that stuff. Please nobody involved with U2.com in any way...

I think the creative decisions on how to launch the single or album is pointless at this time. As long as they focused on recording AMAZING SONGS that are much better than anything on NLOTH and SOI, that's what matters most in my opinion. To quote Bono : "Two Crap Albums and we're out".

This is their "make it or break it" shot.

I think it'd be cool to post some clips on IG up until the single is released.

Kind of mirror the strategy they used with ATYCLB, where we got two clips of songs released every few weeks (though someone hacked U2.com and released them all at once haha)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think it'd be cool to post some clips on IG up until the single is released.

Kind of mirror the strategy they used with ATYCLB, where we got two clips of songs released every few weeks (though someone hacked U2.com and released them all at once haha)

Single played live on the Clarence Hotel Roof Top, heck why not at Lillie's Bordello with all of them dressed "Pimp Style" :lol:

Oklay bloss:

*headbangs*

I actually liked what I could hear from that Beach Clip. :reject:

Me too. The chorus definitely had some potential anyway.

Why on earth anyone would want anything that we've heard already, to be on SOE is beyond me.

Well, I doubt most of us will like absolutely every 'new' song we hear anyway. Plus, there's always a chance that these songs could get reworked to a significant extent (i.e., EBW 360 v. EBW SOI).

I think the creative decisions on how to launch the single or album is pointless at this time. As long as they focused on recording AMAZING SONGS that are much better than anything on NLOTH and SOI, that's what matters most in my opinion. To quote Bono : "Two Crap Albums and we're out".

Eh... I think most of us would be hard-pressed to think that everything on the last two albums was crap. Unless you're defining those two albums by TJT or AB critical acclaim or sales, anyway. Even then, I wouldn't really consider it a 'crap album' deal for either of those, although this album could be 'make or break' from a critical/public standpoint, maybe.

*headbangs*

Eh... I think most of us would be hard-pressed to think that everything on the last two albums was crap. Unless you're defining those two albums by TJT or AB critical acclaim or sales, anyway. Even then, I wouldn't really consider it a 'crap album' deal for either of those, although this album could be 'make or break' from a critical/public standpoint, maybe.

although this album could be 'make or break' from a critical/public standpoint, maybe

This. I agree :up:

To quote Bono : "Two Crap Albums and we're out".

HTDAAB + NLOTH were those 2 "crap" albums for me. No Line could have been so much better, but turned out quite.... average.

SOI is not bad at all compared to the other 2 albums. So if SOE is an evolution of SOI, I am more than OK with it.

Something sounding like the POP Hong Kong Tapes will never happen again

HTDAAB + NLOTH were those 2 "crap" albums for me. No Line could have been so much better, but turned out quite.... average.

SOI is not bad at all compared to the other 2 albums. So if SOE is an evolution of SOI, I am more than OK with it.

Something sounding like the POP Hong Kong Tapes will never happen again

Nope what a bummer :sad:

Imagine if they decided to Re-Release POP next year for the 20th anniversary,
exactly as they intended it, we would have MUCH better than the Hong Kong mixes :hmm:

Nope what a bummer :sad:

Imagine if they decided to Re-Release POP next year for the 20th anniversary,
exactly as they intended it, we would have MUCH better than the Hong Kong mixes :hmm:

I mean new material sounding like POP. And I don't mean the "sound" specifically, rather their attitude to recording an album. POP and Zooropa were "rushed" in U2 terms. But these albums are their most creative and "let's do this and let's see what happens" did the music a great favour.

A Re-Release of POP is a nice memory of this time. If SOE comes 2 years after SOI, that would be great of course

I'd love to hear full versions of those early mixes, but Pop remains one of my favourite U2 albums as it is.

I remain skeptical of them ever opening their "vault", certainly when they're still alive as they seem to have such standards around what sees the light of day.

I agree 100%. Fuck the gimmicks, focus on the songs.

NEW ALBUM COVER debate

I hope the new cover will have some COLOUR this time around ! 3 last albums were all black and white designs. Enough of the bleak stuff ! Anton Corbjiin is a prolific black and white photographer but, it would be nice to have a "Achtung Baby" "Zooropa" "Pop" Colour explosition on the sleeve !

Anyone tired of the black & white covers ?

I'm actually blind so the album cover doesn't really do anything for me. Just hoping the music is strong!

If they haven't already, they should be shooting for the album cover soon. Now that Bernie Sanders is off the campaign trail he should be available to have Larry hug him.

Maybe that's where Larry is?!

I heard that the only reason they went black and white on SOI is that they thought having it in color would add too much attention to the nipples.

I'm actually blind so the album cover doesn't really do anything for me. Just hoping the music is strong!

Agreed.

Once i started purchasing music digitally, i haven't paid any attention to the album covers. I think HTDAAB was the last physical U2 CD i bought.

Those were the days though. Going to a store, buying a CD, ripping it open, looking at the different photos, and pouring over every lyric.:hyper::heart:

So Adam, Edge and Bono have all been photographed in Valencia today...

https://instagram.com/p/BIcFVXgAEK6/

White.png

Definitely photoshopped, I see a tiny bit of blonde at the top. In other news, we could use news of some sort.

giphy.gif

Definitely photoshopped, I see a tiny bit of blonde at the top. In other news, we could use news of some sort.

giphy.gif

For reference on the mikal confidence meter, which has been surprisingly accurate over the years considering I don't have an inside source, says that if you post this same thing on Aug 29th, we might be in for a bit of trouble. Not completely, but that's around the time to start worrying if we don't know any more than we know today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom