Songs of Experience Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I still can't shake off that "I'll see it when it's released " attitude but if you read between the lines a little bit it has been widely reported that they were travelling with a mobile recording equipment that they are using to work on SoE. While I don't think we'll see it drop until the end of the next leg I still have hope by the end of the year?

That's definitely another factor too. As far as I know, they never really brought a studio-like set up with them on a tour itself, right? At least recently anyway...

I'm not sure if I remember this completely correctly but they may have worked on Zooropa during ZOOTV so while it's not something they do often it's not totally out of the question.

While I still can't shake off that "I'll see it when it's released " attitude but if you read between the lines a little bit it has been widely reported that they were travelling with a mobile recording equipment that they are using to work on SoE. While I don't think we'll see it drop until the end of the next leg I still have hope by the end of the year?

Yeah I'd say the biggest unknown is the timeline. I do believe that they still intend to release it during the tour...hence the name. But we also know how the band operates and how they get cold feet.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm not sure if I remember this completely correctly but they may have worked on Zooropa during ZOOTV so while it's not something they do often it's not totally out of the question.

Edge has said that SOE is further ahead at this point than when Zooropa was during ZooTV. That's a good sign, hopefully.

I hope they don't get their usual "cold feet." From seeing this tour they could REALLY capitalize on the momentum from this leg of the tour.

Edge has said that SOE is further ahead at this point than when Zooropa was during ZooTV. That's a good sign, hopefully.

Really? I must have missed that - he really brought up the parallels of Zooropa/SoE?

Really? I must have missed that - he really brought up the parallels of Zooropa/SoE?

Yup. Here's the article from May.
http://m.independent.ie/entertainme...nished-later-this-year-the-edge-31224527.html

We have a lot of material that we are really happy with. We have been working on it, recently, but it is coming together. I would say it is a lot more developed than Zooropa was when we started the Zoo TV Tour. I guess it really depends whether we feel it is worth pushing for within the ten weeks that we have at the end of this tour. We might just go for it. We might just say, ‘It is more important to get it out than to make it perfect.’ Which was the truth with Zooropa. And it is a lot of people’s favourite album!

Wow thanks for sharing! This somehow even ramps up my hopes to get this album sooner than later! I know I REALLY shouldn't but again I'm saying "THIS TIME WILL BE DIFFERENT!"

Wow thanks for sharing! This somehow even ramps up my hopes to get this album sooner than later! I know I REALLY shouldn't but again I'm saying "THIS TIME WILL BE DIFFERENT!"

I'm still falsely and very, very, very, very, very, very slightly optimistic about them dropping SOE and SOA to coincide with the HBO specials. SOE on Nov. 7 and SOA on Nov. 14. :lol: Who am I kidding?...

Maybe they have planned for the Paris show that will play on HBO? Perhaps release a single during the broadcast? Seems like a great platform to announce it.

I'm still falsely and very, very, very, very, very, very slightly optimistic about them dropping SOE and SOA to coincide with the HBO specials. SOE on Nov. 7 and SOA on Nov. 14. :lol: Who am I kidding?...

There, there bobsaget...don't get your hopes up ''too" high"...U2 is famous for saying things like: "We want to put something out by..." and then missing that mark by 3 years... :huh:

Three from new album, one from something else. They sound "very finished." Very different from SOI but is a clear companion. Edge wants to put record out sooner than later.

Deets, from the Scotts.

a kickass, experimental album opener with awesome huge drums. Bono's fave drum break ever. Also had B fave sonic part of U2 ever.

a perfect pop song, driving and anthemic and catchy

Big epic U2 song that will drive arenas crazy. Classic U2, more experimental than SOI.

Three from new album, one from something else. They sound "very finished." Very different from SOI but is a clear companion. Edge wants to put record out sooner than later.

Deets, from the Scotts.

a kickass, experimental album opener with awesome huge drums. Bono's fave drum break ever. Also had B fave sonic part of U2 ever.

a perfect pop song, driving and anthemic and catchy

Big epic U2 song that will drive arenas crazy. Classic U2, more experimental than SOI.

I know Bono and Co. say these things about every album but just like every single time before.....I'm pumped!!!!

I think I'm more excited because I really love the new album and I'm hoping that SOE is SOI on steroids(or just the Edge on roids ).

Now let me duck out of here before the comments about how overblown these guys are start (rightfully) pouring in!!!!

Cosmo....OUT!

For some reason Cosmo I am also really pumped for this but in the same light I don't want to get my hopes up too high...... it's a pickle I yell you - a real pickle!

I know Bono and Co. say these things about every album but just like every single time before.....I'm pumped!!!!

I think I'm more excited because I really love the new album and I'm hoping that SOE is SOI on steroids(or just the Edge on roids ).

Now let me duck out of here before the comments about how overblown these guys are start (rightfully) pouring in!!!!

Cosmo....OUT!

The comments are all from the Scotts (aside from the Bono's fave drums and sonic flourish or whatever), so maybe they hold more weight. Or less. We know how fandom distorts first impressions.

I'm sure Bono singing in their faces certainly added plenty more enthusiasm to the excitement. Cautiously optimistic that the songs are as good as they say and that they will be out next year. Loving the drums being front and center of the first tune.

Obviously we've heard them make release date promises before that they haven't kept but it really sounds like this one is coming out sooner, rather than later. I'm especially glad that the Scotts told the band some things they needed to hear, mainly that they overthink themselves and spend too much time tinkering to make things "perfect." The band actually seemed quite receptive to their suggestion that they should be releasing albums every couple years rather than every five years (which Bono admitted was "inexcusable").

Also, the four songs sound finished and the Scotts were apparently loving them. Hopefully Bono saw that and realizes that they don't need ten more years of mixing.

Another thing, the band in general seems to be really fan oriented. I think they realized, after the Apple release, that maybe not everyone is going to like U2 anymore. So I wonder if they've sort of put aside their need to be "the biggest band in the world" and just have fun with their music and the people who love their music.

Last edited:
Another thing, the band in general seems to be really fan oriented. I think they realized, after the Apple release, that maybe not everyone is going to like U2 anymore. So I wonder if they've sort of put aside their need to be "the biggest band in the world" and just have fun with their music and the people who love their music.

you're absolutely right.. in fact, there's a recent quote from Adam where he admitted that the band may just do that

^ Yep I agree that they seem to be so much more accessible than in the past, could you ever imagine Edge and Adam showing up at a UF gig? Or Edge meeting Ybor before a gig at MSG :hyper:!!!

I think DomCobb has it right with the pushback on the Apple release.

^ Yep I agree that they seem to be so much more accessible than in the past, could you ever imagine Edge and Adam showing up at a UF gig? Or Edge meeting Ybor before a gig at MSG :hyper:!!!

I think DomCobb has it right with the pushback on the Apple release.

The @u2 party was different, otherwise I don't think the band are anymore accessible than they have been in the past. They have always made an effort to meet fans for autographs and pictures. Which says a lot for an artist at their level.

I will believe they are more "fan" oriented when they start releasing some of their massive live audio and/or video archive. They have SO much stuff just collecting dust that fans would love to have access to.

^ Good point, you are correct, wouldn't some or all of the Point Depot shows be pretty nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom