Songs of Experience Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hollow said nothing about trying to get cred from certain corners. I think you're even confusing yourself as to what your point was.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Certain corners = traditional players. Troll

Certain corners = traditional players. Troll

I'm not trolling. I'm trying to understand your point and you're failing to support your post. Even Hollow said this type of playing is Edge challenging himself. Nothing in his post suggests longing for cred by "certain corners = traditional players", this is the part you've failed to back up. Know the definition of trolling before accusing people of doing so.

It's pointless to post here and expect anything interesting to come out of it.

That's exactly what I was trying to do, get you to clarify your stance in order to make, you know real discussion. You seem to want to come in state your opinion as fact and have everyone agree with you, if that's what you find interesting then yeah, you're probably right.

No, I expect to make my statements, discuss, but not be personally sh*t on. I never said anything was fact or anyone has to agree with me. And I couldn't care less if you (or anyone else) agrees with me. You seem to not want to hear anything at all critical - so sorry to upset you. It's just what I think and I've followed this band decades, so I have a right to say it and you not take it personal. If you disagree to the point you want to debate me, that's fine. Explain why you feel different, but don't just childishly say I'm not thinking things through. But that's fine. I can't commit the time to continually post on here like some, so I'm off for a while. Let's hope the tour corrects my negative impression. Have a good one.

It's pointless to post here and expect anything interesting to come out of it.

It is indeed pointless if you post an opinion and then pick a fight with people asking you to elaborate that opinion as they're trying to understand what you're saying...

I can't commit the time to continually post on here like some, so I'm off for a while. Let's hope the tour corrects my negative impression. Have a good one.

1412.gif

jeesus this place is worse than a school playground sometimes... i understood his "certain corners" comment, without all the unnecessary ensuing hoo haa :rolleyes:

jeesus this place is worse than a school playground sometimes... i understood his "certain corners" comment, without all the unnecessary ensuing hoo haa :rolleyes:

So you understood that "traditional" players will never give Edge respect? I guess your deciphering ring is better than mine because I still don't know who he's talking about.

So you understood that "traditional" players will never give Edge respect? I guess your deciphering ring is better than mine because I still don't know who he's talking about.

What? I understood what he meant by musical corners. Is it really that difficult? LOL

Don't necessarily agree with him though but it seemed pretty straightforward to me what he was trying to say.

My hope for Songs of Experience, it it's not too late, would be for the guitar player named Edge to actually live up to his name. This is something that hasn't really been done in several albums, perhaps since PoP.

Yeah there are some good Edge moments here and there throughout the years, but it's been a while since the Edge lit the world on fire in the studio. Experience should be Edge's album.

I'd take Edge's guitar work on HTDAAB over his work on POP and Zooropa any day. I like the guitar on songs of innocence as well, especially The Crystal Ballroom.

I'd take the fuzzy outro solo of Some Days Are Better Than Others over anything he's done in the new millennium.

I'd take Edge's guitar work on HTDAAB over his work on POP and Zooropa any day. I like the guitar on songs of innocence as well, especially The Crystal Ballroom.

The problem is, i think, the band keeps talking about wanting to be relevant and also be on the radio. But they seem to have their sights set on "pop" radio and not rock radio. So they are pushing songs like EBW and Song 4 Someone. Pop radio seems to be a younger crowd - to which u2 already has an uphill battle due to their age.

While i love EBW...it hasn't done anything on the radio as far as i know. Had they come out with singles such as TIWYCRMN, SLABT, or The Troubles, they might have gotten some radio play with the mainstream rock or alternative stations. Which is better than the reception they are getting from their target listening audience.

I realize im just another asscrack with an opinion here, but it seems to me they should just put out a bad ass album of fucking rock songs and blow people away and stop trying to rub sugar and honey on everything. To me at least, that is what the term 'Experience' conjures up.

Of course most of us will eat up whatever they put out like it's the best thing ever - until it's not - and then walk around in circles afterwards. And the dead horse i just kicked will live to die another day i suppose.

If Edge and Bono got their heads out of the "songs that translate acoustically" mentality, I think we'd get a better album as a result. Iris is my favorite song on the album and it is mostly due to Larry and Adam playing like they did in the '80s. Edge has some work to do on the follow up in my opinion.

The problem is, i think, the band keeps talking about wanting to be relevant and also be on the radio. But they seem to have their sights set on "pop" radio and not rock radio. So they are pushing songs like EBW and Song 4 Someone. Pop radio seems to be a younger crowd - to which u2 already has an uphill battle due to their age.

While i love EBW...it hasn't done anything on the radio as far as i know. Had they come out with singles such as TIWYCRMN, SLABT, or The Troubles, they might have gotten some radio play with the mainstream rock or alternative stations. Which is better than the reception they are getting from their target listening audience.

I realize im just another asscrack with an opinion here, but it seems to me they should just put out a bad ass album of fucking rock songs and blow people away and stop trying to rub sugar and honey on everything. To me at least, that is what the term 'Experience' conjures up.

Of course most of us will eat up whatever they put out like it's the best thing ever - until it's not - and then walk around in circles afterwards. And the dead horse i just kicked will live to die another day i suppose.

:up:

Agree completely, this is what I have thought for the past two albums. It's beyond me why they didn't release the title track of NLOTH to alt rock stations, would have done very well. And, of course, the ones you mention from the current album.

When was the last time U2 was a "bad ass" band that wrote "fucking rock songs" as a general rule? Has that ever described them?

I'd rather U2 embrace being old and bring some texture back to their music, rather than writing an album full of Vertigos, Elevations, The Miracle (of Joey Ramones) and Stand Up Comedies. Sounds like a living hell.

When was the last time U2 was a "bad ass" band that wrote "fucking rock songs" as a general rule? Has that ever described them?

I'd rather U2 embrace being old and bring some texture back to their music, rather than writing an album full of Vertigos, Elevations, The Miracle (of Joey Ramones) and Stand Up Comedies. Sounds like a living hell.

That's all well and good, but those aren't the brand of rock songs he's talking about. The rock songs he did mention would do better on rock/alt rock radio, though.

That makes my heart cry.
TCB is one of my favorite tunes in a LOOONG time.

But we are talking about
Mofo
Discotheque
DYFL
Gone
SATS
Numb
Zooropa
Some Days...
Dirty Day

Thats some tough guitar done there by the Edge...

yeah, Zooropa and Pop has possibly the most inventive playing of The Edge's career :ohmy:

Damn i am listening to some various U2 videos from the Rattle & Hum era and it's been a while...Heartland...All i want is you...wOw

Been a few Blue Moons tonight after work on the farm. A girl drives up to a stop sign on a rural country road. She stops the car and stares off into the brilliant green of the new spring grass. There is a cow sitting near the corner of the property, tag on her ear, sitting in the pasture staring out at the land across the road.

The girl gets out of her car and walks over to the cow. She kneels down and extends her hand through the wire fence and touches the animal. The cow sees her, looks at her with its large eyes, and makes a slight noise.

The girl feels pain like she has never felt in her life, for the first time she wanted to be on the other side of the fence and trade places with the cow. She can feel its warmth, its breath, it's heartbeat. The girl wonders why the humans get to decide who gets to live behind the fence and provide the milk.

She stays there for a while, sobbing, while the car sits at the stop sign of the rural road, car door open and running.

Overhead birds fly over and squak at each other about some roadkill they see up ahead. The sky is clear but a few clouds are doing the half circle. Eventually they will pass and clear out for the moon to do it's thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom