Songs of Ascent / New U2 Music / Soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps there's a longer version that this is just slice of? Maybe Kingdom of Your Love exists as a fuller version, and calling this "Soon" really is a tease of something else. Hard to say.
I was just wondering this, actually. If a "full version" actually exists, I'd like to hear it, even though the version we have feels pretty complete as-is.

Soon might just be a little souvenir of the 360 experience.

Yeah, this is what I've been thinking.
It's from the NLOTH sessions! Unless SOA is still the NLOTH left-overs, this tells us nothing necessarily about any future direction and it probably won't be on any of the upcoming albums.

Still an incredible little song..... :)

I still think it could be on their next album. I'd say just release SOA how it's intended to be and with no "hits". And then release a second, more commercial album after that with the newly written songs and Spiderman. They could release SOA before the tour restart and then release the other album after the European leg.

This is never going to happen but you can only dream.:drool:

:hug:

I was just wondering this, actually. If a "full version" actually exists, I'd like to hear it, even though the version we have feels pretty complete as-is.

I was thinking the other day that it might be like Life In Technicolor.
It was on the album, opened the shows (as far as I know, not too familiar with the details of their tour) and then they released version II, longer and with vocals added in. Thought it was well edited in the first place and I prefer version one but that's another thing.

:reject:

I also agree with U2Girl that they aren't likely to use a previously released special edition bonus track as the opener on a new album, if it even shows up at all.

Perhaps there's a longer version that this is just slice of? Maybe Kingdom of Your Love exists as a fuller version, and calling this "Soon" really is a tease of something else. Hard to say.

I don't know. Could be a tease for a future release that it, or a longer version of it, appears on. Could be a souvenir, and this is the end of it's journey. But I wouldn't count either scenario in or out based on previous behaviour. Few points:

- When the 360 tour first kicked off, they may have genuinely believed a follow up was not too far away (Songs of Ascent), thus, dropping the sweet little Soon out there was not only not a big deal timing wise, but something they intended on building on quite quickly. Flipside: If it's album is on the way, and it's great and works, why hold it back?

- SoA (or whatever the follow up became) gets dropped to this gap in the tour, and then dropped now to 'sometime before the end of the year', but Soon is known, so why not give us it, BOTH as a souvenir AND a continuing tease.

- It does seem that we were going to get new songs live before release this time around. i.e. not only just new behaviour from the band, but also evidence that they don't mind so much about 'spoiling the surprise' or whatever anymore. That's a point against believing Soon/Kingdom is done for good now just because we now have it, or some version of it. I would totally have believed that in years gone by, but there does seem to be a change in the bands behaviour.

- Edge talking about new/fast releasing of material before they reach album stage. He might be talking about more promo/stand alone single/E.P. releases that don't end up being incorporated in future albums, but he might also mean things like this. Letting random songs drop at random times for random reasons, because, it's 2010, why not? And then they compile into an album later on. It could also be a test of sorts. Fairly risk free to let this one go out there and see what the reaction is, how it travels etc. I am sure that after a short period of time that shows respect to those who have forked out a stupid amount for the deluxe set, Soon will absolutely appear on their website/itunes etc.

So, it might be a souvenir, it might be at tease, it might be a test case.

if Soon appears on the next album, I'm sure some here will bitch about old songs on a new release.. "I want 11 new songs! not 10! :angry:"

and so forth...

if Soon appears on the next album, I'm sure some here will bitch about old songs on a new release.. "I want 11 new songs! not 10! :angry:"

and so forth...

Probably. But they could make a longer version of the song (perhaps there already is one, as some people speculated about), sort of like Coldplay's Life in Technicolor II on their EP was a longer version of the first one of Viva la Vida. That would probably keep people from bitching.

I'd say the Life in Technicolor speculation sounds pretty reasonable, actually. Or maybe they'll use it to bookend the album, with "Soon" as the opener and "Kingdom of Your Love" as an epic closer...

I'd say the Life in Technicolor speculation sounds pretty reasonable, actually. Or maybe they'll use it to bookend the album, with "Soon" as the opener and "Kingdom of Your Love" as an epic closer...

If only this really did happen.... i'd feel complete...

Well, AB may be their best, but Bono thinks of 11 as the perfect number of tracks for an album.

what context is this in? Is this a response to someone elses post? is this a rumour, is it info youve heard? No album meaning what, no new album, or no album at all in the near future? Why are you happy about it?

I m sorry. It's nothing! I m simply disappointed and ironic! :reject:

No, I remember reading some quote to that effect, that or I'm on crack today.

It might have been quoted from the Making of the Vertigo Video feature. They are talking about starting the new tour for HTDAAB and Larry says, "Bono uses a great line, and that is there have to be eleven very good reasons for leaving your family and leaving your home and hauling your ass around the world... and this is it."

You're not on crack today. ;)

...can you relax? Jesus.

Didnt mean to come on too strong, had 3 minutes to get a quick message out and didnt read it through. Second though, I think it was reasonable to want clarification given Martin is a reliable source of info and that is a fairly major statement out of context

I m sorry. It's nothing! I m simply disappointed and ironic! :reject:

No worries Martin, didnt mean to come on so strong :wave:

Hello all. Been gone for awhile. Now I'm playing catch up. Can someone be so kind as to helping me out with new song Soon? Thanks in advance.:)
bfunkthe1@hotmail.com
I couldn't find where else to ask.
I think I'm gonna purchase Deluxe 360 when it's out here in the US, but I still won't be able to play Soon because I don't have a turntable.
p.s. Get well soon Bono and Daniel!

Whew, I go away for a few days and...well, some stuff has at least happened. Sort of :wink:. For a second there, I thought we were going to have some serious new album news here though.

Anyway, sorry to do this, but I wasn't sure if the 'Soon' request thread was still active:

bwispelw@gmail.com

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom