Songs of Ascent / New U2 Music / Soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
*posted this in the wrong thread before*

couldn't agree more! U2 HAVE to take this musical direction....this is such a fresh sounding song, free from the shackles of cheap, glossy overproduction to appease the superficial musical tastes of the masses. i LOOVVEEE it! :heart:

After hearing the early recordings of NLOTH stuff, it sounds more like what they had originally intended until they softened it up.

Can someone tell a complete dumbass how to get this rip to work. I was routed to another site when I clicked on it. Help a brother out. I'm from South Carolina so make it easy!

Was it the link for Soon? If it took you to sendspace.com, look towards the bottom of the page where you should see a big ol' DOWNLOAD.

Click it.

The strings are awesome :love:

Yep. They add a spooky aspect to the song and a sense of unknown. I would love to hear them on their own to truly appreciate them. :up:

Yes. YES. I love how it ends with just the one violin fading into nothingness...

It is very cinematic and I can envision the song playing over the opening credits of a film before fading to black. I agree from the posts earlier in the thread that thought it should open the next album. :up:

I'm going to be so happy if they release even a few songs before the start of the tour again. :)

Yup, I love this! I loved this before as well, but the ending is absolutely phenomenal. I love the use of strings, they just have to use that more often in their songs.

Yep. I really like it but the songs not long enough. Should go for another couple of minutes. When they sing the word "soon" in the song it sounds very haunting..luv it :drool:

^ i think the length is very organic. there is nowhere else for the song to go. you can have too much of a good thing. Itd be like a soup. A rich, creamy, beautiful soup that only gave everyone 3 quarters of a bowl each. You could add enough water to give everyone a whole bowl, but the product would suffer. There is a trade-off, and this is an amazing step forward for modern U2 to take the step towards flavour, rather than volume

Or like the three second rule after dropping food, it's still great then but if you let it stay on the floor too long it won't taste as good.

Yes. YES. I love how it ends with just the one violin fading into nothingness...
To me, Soon almost sounds like a 50/50 mix between Zooropa and TUF. It's that awesome. If U2 actually has the cojones to do a whole album in this style, Interference will implode from sheer joy.

I completely agree. Zooropa, Unforgettable Fire, with a little bit of Passengers.
I want Songs of Ascent so badly.

It really has the best strings ever in a U2 song (better than AIWIY)

Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me has the best strings, IMO.

Good song, not sure I could compare it to anything they've done before. Maybe the start of U2 4.0 ?

I agree with those that say it's on the short side - it sounds like it could go places, and it isn't quite the same hearing it on a computer and live. But if this is a promo for the new album...soon...not bad.

Is anyone finding that its really quiet? Is that just the way its ripped from vinyl?

^yeah, but we don't know the settings of the original import. I am going to have to just raise the levels myself later.

Is anyone finding that its really quiet? Is that just the way its ripped from vinyl?

I didn't really want to suggest this but it could probably do with being ripped again losslessly :reject:

I'm so grateful to have it, but for prosperity it would be lovely to have top, top quality.... No disrespect to anyone... :hug:

I didn't really want to suggest this but it could probably do with being ripped again losslessly :reject:

I'm so grateful to have it, but for prosperity it would be lovely to have top, top quality.... No disrespect to anyone... :hug:

i hear you. i didn't really want to complain either, but i actually bumped it all the way up in ITunes, and it's still way too quiet, lol!

I have been working on it here at work and once the levels are adjusted it is quite sick.

Guys there is already a much higher quality version being shared. Lots louder, 320kbps. Just go request it again in the thread.

I love "Soon" because it keeps the chorus 'big' in a way that Unknown Caller did not.

When I first heard Unknown Caller snippet on the Lanois documentary, I thought it had potential to be U2's best song ever. What can I say, I'm a sucker for group shouted choruses. But when I heard the studio version, I was a little let down because the chorus didn't have the "lift off" that I felt it should have. The chorus still felt like part of the buildup instead of the release.

Not so with "Soon". I hope these guys make a full song out of this for SoA (though at this point, i don't think the next album will be titled Songs of Ascent).

What's the Lanois documentary you mentioned? Is that online anywhere? I totally want to hear that Unknown Caller clip.

Huh. I have that CD ... didn't know there was a documentary as well. I'll look around online to see if I can find it.

What's the Lanois documentary you mentioned? Is that online anywhere? I totally want to hear that Unknown Caller clip.

I know there was a youtube video about a moraccan sounding unknown caller. With bongos and a synth played. It sounded much more extended but just felt more lively i think.

Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me has the best strings, IMO.

Good song, not sure I could compare it to anything they've done before. Maybe the start of U2 4.0 ?
:hmm:

Boy
October
War
---
The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
Rattle And Hum
---
Achtung Baby
Zooropa
Pop
---
All That You Can't Leave Behind
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
No Line on the Horizon
---
Songs of Ascent

So, yeah, you're probably right on the money!
(Also: Now that you mention it, the ending of Soon really does remind me of the ending of HMTMKMKM. I love that song.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom