Songs of _________________; New album discussion #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would he have made the Apple SOI deal? Dunno if he would’ve conceptualized it, but he sure as hell would’ve taken it. Vertigo was an iTunes commercial hit. And Paul loved HITS. If Guy was behind that idea, however, the band would’ve not heard it and would’ve released a new album to… little fanfare? The first single that kinda sounded like the previous two album singles? Honestly kinda hard to say.

Actually recall him opining on this in 2015 Irish Times interview:

“Who knows?” he says. “I wasn’t involved . . . They apologised for it afterwards, saying it was an imposition. I think it was positioned wrongly. If they’d made it ‘tick this box and you can receive the U2 album’, it would not have given offence. People were unhappy about having something arrive that they hadn’t asked for. It was easy enough to delete . . . But I think that it should have been handled differently.”

Good interview actually: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/former-u2-manager-paul-mcguinness-cracking-crime-on-the-cote-d-azur-1.2237369

Black Francis from the Pixies was interviewed by Stephen McCauley on BBC local radio this evening, mainly about a new album. He again mentioned about the 9 month lead in to releasing anything on vinyl record, and that if you miss your slot you’re done. They had to rush their title and art work because of it. So U2 may well already have the album of new songs in the production pipeline or very nearly, if they intend a release by summer of 2023.

Black Francis from the Pixies was interviewed by Stephen McCauley on BBC local radio this evening, mainly about a new album. He again mentioned about the 9 month lead in to releasing anything on vinyl record, and that if you miss your slot you’re done. They had to rush their title and art work because of it. So U2 may well already have the album of new songs in the production pipeline or very nearly, if they intend a release by summer of 2023.

Nah, fall 2023 at the earliest

I guess it depends how your record label approaches it. Book a slot and then hope the record is ready, or wait until its done and you have that 6 month+ delay.

I've no idea what sums of money are involved, but I've seen a couple of bands who are pretty reliable/predictable when it comes to writing and recording just go with the latter - I guess its the record label's decision if they're footing the bill.

All bets are off with U2 as we've no idea what else they've been up to other than focusing on the rearranged songs. Did Adam not also say they find it hard to focus on recording an album unless they can tour it? So who knows when and how long they've actually been working on a proper next album?

U2 has intended to release their new album early next year for a while now, so it may have been signed, sealed, and delivered for months now. Obviously if they get cold feet, which has happened a lot, and decide to record more, yeah that pushes things out quite a bit.

If they pull off a spring 2023 release of a new album it’ll be the best they’ve ever done at keeping new song recordings secret

Well they literally kept an album release secret until the moment they released it... but yes, we knew all about the recording ups and downs.

I think we know less now about that now not because they're being super secretive, but rather because there just generally isn't as much public interest in the band anymore.

Well they literally kept an album release secret until the moment they released it... but yes, we knew all about the recording ups and downs.

I think we know less now about that now not because they're being super secretive, but rather because there just generally isn't as much public interest in the band anymore.

I think it's a combination of the two for sure. Even in 2009, the hype around the NLOTH leak (which created the puns) was huge. Other than the diehards, I don't think the interest in a new U2 album is very big at all either.

May as well call it Songs of Irrelevance and have the last laugh as they continue to sell out arenas/stadiums worldwide.

the only way anyone will care about a new U2 album, outside of the core fans, is if it's really really good.

and even then the care will be limited.

that's just the way it goes for old bands.

they'll still sell well on tour regardless of what they put out.

Yep, exactly this.

And not just old bands, but any rock bands in general

full on interview with danger mouse in this week's Variety - talking about the new Broken Bells album - and talks pretty much about his entire career and mentions just about every artist he's every worked with at some point... except U2. not a peep.

i did find this interesting, though...

Do you think when an established band comes to you, they’re itching to get outside of their own process? You’re the only other person aside from Rick Rubin to produce a Red Hot Chili Peppers album since the ’80s.

I think that bands probably come to see whether a song will wind up sounding like “Crazy.” (I’m kidding.) You hope some magic happens. You hope there’s a happy accident. I haven’t worked with that many bands. The way I work doesn’t generally suit bands — I know that now through time. I generally work really well with one or two people. If I work with a band, I try to work with each one individually. I know how to work with bands now, and I can do that; it’s just not my preferred thing process-wise. But I did learn how to do it.

a dark, murmury record full of tracks like SLABT and The Troubles would’ve been great but the casual live audience ain’t much for the challenging stuff

i think what we'd all like to see is what the first half of the album sounded like before it was tedder'd

Seconded. The *songs* on SOI range from ok to great. The *production* is all over the fucking map and some of the verse/chorus structures are shoehorned to maximize catchiness. No song that lovingly refernces Joey Ramone should be so ProTools’d to hell. ( “California…” remains a guilty pleasure for me, though.)

Seconded. The *songs* on SOI range from ok to great. The *production* is all over the fucking map and some of the verse/chorus structures are shoehorned to maximize catchiness. No song that lovingly refernces Joey Ramone should be so ProTools’d to hell. ( “California…” remains a guilty pleasure for me, though.)

i'd like California a little more better if it didn't have that canned Katy Perry opening.

Re the book tour - anybody received their presale code from the website yet? They're leaving it late...!

Nope, nothing yet…

Scratch that, its in the u2.com account info page now so I’m guessing emails will be out shortly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom