Someday U2 will have a new album. Today is not that day. discuss.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, chill people, it was in response to my posts that the whole thing started and yet it's all these other people blowing it out of proportion, and derailing what little train of discussion was going on.

To your corners.

Yeah Passengers is far from my top list (not that I really rank things), but seeing them do "Your Blue Room" in person and being one of a handful of people including the band out of the 80,000 there people that knew the song is one of the top musical moments of my life.

And "Miss Sarajevo" is easily one of their most profound creations.

I actually completely agree with this very balanced and accurate assessment. Those two songs are absolute gems.

I'm not a fan of Miss Sarajevo. I would never go to the bathroom during a U2 show, but if I absolutely had to during 360, that would have been the one.

The first half of Passengers ranks among the best work of U2's career. Coherent, sumptuously produced, and the songwriting is very, very good. The second half is equally interesting but far less consistent in quality. Overall, great and not worth the dismissive attitude so many have about it. Save Pop, I prefer it to any album they've made since.

But that I feel that way shouldn't surprise anyone; 90s U2 remains one of my favorite decades of any artist. I think every album from that period is excellent.

Can't forget about the gloriously experimental, eternally breathtaking piece of art that is Elvis Ate America.

Elvis Ate America is an embarrassment. Elvis Presley and America on the other hand...

EPAA... Call me foolish, call me romantic, call me irresponsible for saying this: what a great song! Chills down my spine. That operatic vocal in the end... Wow. I get it that most ppl hate the song. But I love it, bro. Love it. Mumbling bongolese and all. I can't explain. Try listening to it on a rainy sunday. All by yourself. Loud. Maybe the haters will get it.

My top 5 U2 albums would be something like this: Achtung Baby Zooropa TUF TJT Pop Passengers would be 6. Still, one of the best most adventurous things they have ever done. I tell you what's in the bottom: Bomb.

And while i'm on the subject, October is really underrated. Brilliant stuff, mate.

And while i'm on the subject, October is really underrated. Brilliant stuff, mate.

I rank both Passengers and October in my top five - one's an engrossing, atmospheric tur de force with classics like Slug, YBR, and Beach Sequence, while the other has some of the most passionate U2 songs ever recorded like Gloria, Rejoice, and Tomorrow. I can't resist either of those albums. Now cue gvox with some stupidly dismissive post about how this is somehow "wrong" whether you view it "objectively, subjectively, whatever".

EPAA... Call me foolish, call me romantic, call me irresponsible for saying this: what a great song! Chills down my spine. That operatic vocal in the end... Wow. I get it that most ppl hate the song. But I love it, bro. Love it. Mumbling bongolese and all. I can't explain. Try listening to it on a rainy sunday. All by yourself. Loud. Maybe the haters will get it.
I don't know how anyone who likes the spiritual, fervent, and passionate side of U2, could not appreciate EPAA. It's quintessential mid 80s U2. Raw to the bone, and cathartic.

I wish Bono had polished up his vocal track. He hits so many awful notes and I know there's some great lyricism in there somewhere. "Catharsis" isn't enough to make up for those flaws IMO. Musically, it's awesome. No complaints at all.

I wish Bono had polished up his vocal track. He hits so many awful notes and I know there's some great lyricism in there somewhere. "Catharsis" isn't enough to make up for those flaws IMO. Musically, it's awesome. No complaints at all.

Only if he'd done it then.

It's too late now, so now I hope they never ever touch it.

I've always considered Passengers to be a Brian Eno project with some help of the members of U2. Nothing more, nothing less. I only listen to the first half and generally skip the rest. I don't consider it to be a U2 album. Therefore it's not up for competition as far as ranking U2 albums is concerned. I like some of the songs on it, but the rest, to me, is just :shrug: Miss Sarajevo: I prefer the live version. Your Blue Room is my favourite track on the album, the live version was awesome, but it put the crowd to sleep so U2 - sadly - had to drop it. I wish they'd record a new version of that song with Sinead's voice.

If you've ever heard a Brian Eno album post-Another Green World, you know that Passengers doesn't really sound anything like a Brian Eno solo album. There's far more variety and traditional songwriting on the album than he would have touched during the Ambient 1-4/Music for Films period. It sounds much more like a U2 album, in that sense.

I've always considered Passengers to be a Brian Eno project with some help of the members of U2. Nothing more, nothing less. I only listen to the first half and generally skip the rest. I don't consider it to be a U2 album. Therefore it's not up for competition as far as ranking U2 albums is concerned. I like some of the songs on it, but the rest, to me, is just :shrug: Miss Sarajevo: I prefer the live version. Your Blue Room is my favourite track on the album, the live version was awesome, but it put the crowd to sleep so U2 - sadly - had to drop it. I wish they'd record a new version of that song with Sinead's voice.

Consider it what you want. That's not what it is. Liking or disliking it doesn't change its categorization.

If you've ever heard a Brian Eno album post-Another Green World, you know that Passengers doesn't really sound anything like a Brian Eno solo album. There's far more variety and traditional songwriting on the album than he would have touched during the Ambient 1-4/Music for Films period. It sounds much more like a U2 album, in that sense.

Exactly. They all have songwriting credit on every track.

My top 5 U2 albums would be something like this: Achtung Baby Zooropa TUF TJT Pop Passengers would be 6. Still, one of the best most adventurous things they have ever done. I tell you what's in the bottom: Bomb.

You're a wise man Van Cleef.

Haven't U2 released a few of their albums on Fridays in Ireland?

But even so,i still doubt they'll release the album In December,but the idea of the first single to be given to radio stations in December could be plausible.

If U2 says 2014 and the album comes out in December 2013 then that would be the first time I'm aware of that they beat their own timeline. Usually when this band picks a deadline you have to add some months to it.

U2 hasn't said anything about any release date yet. :wink: It's just people claiming they did, as with Guggi and Dallas and all the other 'sources'. So there is no deadline, and we don't actually know anything more than we did a couple months ago.

https://twitter.com/matthewsmithUS/status/381586568915746816

"I mean Dec 2013 NOT Dec 13th - would be hugely unlikely to give an exact date, I'm still sceptical about Dec release"

Ah that makes more sense, since it was indeed a big guess to set a specific date. But still, I'll believe it when I see it! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom