SOI Gets Only 1 Grammy Nomination?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Callbacks to the 90s? You seem to be completely overlooking the return to the War-era sound on tracks like Volcano and Raised By Wolves, as well as the less-specific 80s sound of This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now.

Not sure what on there is reminiscent of their 90s work.

I would even through Iris into that grouping. The bass and drums is very reminisce of early U2.

As for 90's work, Sleep like a Baby reminds me of Velvet Dress and could have fit on POP or maybe Zooropa. Other then that, not hearing much 90s.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I would even through Iris into that grouping. The bass and drums is very reminisce of early U2.

As for 90's work, Sleep like a Baby reminds me of Velvet Dress and could have fit on POP or maybe Zooropa. Other then that, not hearing much 90s.

Not exactly SoI, but Lucifer's Hands fits in the 90's sound aswell.

I get more of a TUF vibe from Iris than early 80s. On the verses, at least. The godawful "woo woo woo" part I can't link to anything from their past.

Beautiful Day is a perfect pop single. I can understand being tired of it, but U2 haven't written anything nearly as successful in that vein since. Even COBL sounds somewhat forced. Beautiful Day is exactly what it should be. That message, that melody, that moment in time, it was a home run.

Beautiful Day is a perfect pop single. I can understand being tired of it, but U2 haven't written anything nearly as successful in that vein since. Even COBL sounds somewhat forced. Beautiful Day is exactly what it should be. That message, that melody, that moment in time, it was a home run.

Yep definitely, in terms of succes. Without a doubt it is interesting song in terms of its evolution and structure. It is basically made of 3 crucial ideas put together and somehow it works. It is live performances where this song really excells. In contradiction it is tha album´s arrangement and production where it fails. Same way as the rest of ATYCLB album, where U2 and their producers decided to go for radio friendly sound, which was their biggest musical defeat in terms of musically challenging themselves in their career.

Fortunately, the commercial succes gave them back their lost self confidence and with every single record that followed they started to be more courageous. The last record I think it is reward for them and fans, both. :applaud:

Meh. I still think it's a cheesy, weak song.

Without a doubt it is interesting song in terms of its evolution and structure. It is basically made of 3 crucial ideas put together and somehow it works. It is live performances where this song really excells. In contradiction it is tha album´s arrangement and production where it fails. Same way as the rest of ATYCLB album, where U2 and their producers decided to go for radio friendly sound, which was their biggest musical defeat in terms of musically challenging themselves in their career.

Very good analysis.

Yes, it's a nicely-written track. But to me, it's musically anemic and has neither the intricacies of the 90s recordings nor the raw immediacy of the earlier work (or Rattle & Hum).

I don't actively dislike it, but probably my least favorite of the 00s singles.

Fortunately, the commercial succes gave them back their lost self confidence and with every single record that followed they started to be more courageous. The last record I think it is reward for them and fans, both. :applaud:

I'm not sure if "fortunately" is the best word here. Look what the commercial success led to. If no one gave a fuck about the song/album, would things have gotten much worse? I doubt they would have retired.

If I can weigh in on this discussion? SOI has fired up my love of U2 so much that I finally signed up to Interference.com. As a newbie I'm loving being a part of a community where I and others can dissect every minute detail of the band and their music. If it wasn't for SOI, then I would not be here.

If I can weigh in on this discussion? SOI has fired up my love of U2 so much that I finally signed up to Interference.com. As a newbie I'm loving being a part of a community where I and others can dissect every minute detail of the band and their music. If it wasn't for SOI, then I would not be here.

It will be interesting to see over time how many new people join up based on SOI. It happens every album, and I think that is one of the best things about U2 is that they are still able to attract new fans after 38 years of being together, I think that is great.

It will be interesting to see over time how many new people join up based on SOI. It happens every album, and I think that is one of the best things about U2 is that they are still able to attract new fans after 38 years of being together, I think that is great.

We've seen quite a lot of newbies come in recently, and some of them are turning into really regular posters. It's great to see.

Agree. Best song of the 2000's from U2 if not one of the bands best of their entire career! There is a reason it was a worldwide #1 smash. Sadly, it is probably the last time the group will ever scale those heights. :sad:

While I agree that bd is a great song I think IMHO that it's a big stretch to call it the best song in their career. I can think of many U2 songs a lot better then bd like:
Hmtmkmkm
The fly
One
TUF
Streets
And well just too many to list! Pretty much most songs on ab are better then bd. but it was a great song and very successful non the less!

The biggest song of their career is not. It was Vertigo, like it or not.

Its worldwide chart numbers are impressive (Discotheque tops it though; top 10 in twelve countries including the US), but no one is going to remember U2 for that song 20 years from now. I haven't heard Vertigo involuntarily in ages, whereas I'm bombarded with WOWY, Pride, ISHFWILF, One and Beautiful Day.

Last edited:
Its worldwide chart numbers are impressive (Discotheque tops it though; top 10 in twelve countries including the US), but no one is going to remember U2 for that song 20 years from now. I haven't heard Vertigo involuntarily in ages, whereas I'm bombarded with WOWY, Pride, ISHFWILF, One and Beautiful Day.

I think it depends on your market. I was always quite proud of the fact that U2 were so heavily played in SW Ontario, including the Toronto market. These days, for the past two years, I hardly ever hear them played, including current songs, except for the small college station that I tune into - someone on their staff is clearly a U2 fan because along with them and REM very rarely, they are about the only older act the station plays. And they play all eras of U2, which is cool. Stuff you wouldn't hear on commercial radio.

When I say Vertigo was their biggest song I just mean in terms of commercial success. It won't be as fondly remembered as others, but it was massive. If the download numbers would have counted it very likely would have hit #1 in more countries than it did, including the US, which is crazy when you think about it now. It was just 10 years ago.

When people think of a band like, say, Aerosmith... they'll think of Walk This Way, Sweet Emotion or Dream On... maybe even some of the power ballads from the early 90s. But their biggest song, far and away, not even close, was that dopey song from Armageddon. Biggest certainly doesn't have to mean best and/or most fondly remembered.

Ummmmmm....

I think you missed the sarcasm in my 'safe' comment.

Sent from down the rabbit hole

Sorry I missed it but tell me how I'm supposed to read your sarcasm in that statement?

Sorry I missed it but tell me how I'm supposed to read your sarcasm in that statement?

The fact I said I wish I could have written the song suggests that I think it's a great song.

All this nonsense about ATYCLB being U2 by numbers and writing radio friendly songs is ridiculous as what is defined as radio friendly shifts from year to year. I personally find the terms 'safe', 'radio friendly' and 'dad rock' as just lazy ways of describing music and not very constructive.

When I do write my Beautiful Day you'll be the first to know ?. I think I'm still at Love Is Blindness B Side status at the moment.

Sent from down the rabbit hole

When I say Vertigo was their biggest song I just mean in terms of commercial success. It won't be as fondly remembered as others, but it was massive. If the download numbers would have counted it very likely would have hit #1 in more countries than it did, including the US, which is crazy when you think about it now. It was just 10 years ago.

When people think of a band like, say, Aerosmith... they'll think of Walk This Way, Sweet Emotion or Dream On... maybe even some of the power ballads from the early 90s. But their biggest song, far and away, not even close, was that dopey song from Armageddon. Biggest certainly doesn't have to mean best and/or most fondly remembered.
Agreed. I even sang that song to one of my fish after it died while flushing it down the toilet.

Back
Top Bottom