SOI Gets Only 1 Grammy Nomination?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When they were given their glut of Grammys for Bomb, they were really being rewarded for a long and successful career. And when they didn't win any for NLOTH, the message seemed to be: "We've already given you the recognition you deserved. Now can you kindly fuck off?" Add to that the beating they've taken over the last few months, and I'm amazed they even got one nomination. There will actually be quite a few people who'll be tuning in just to see that they don't win. Maybe that was the plan...

That's exactly right.

Honestly, not the worst batch of AOTY noms I've seen. Beck and Beyonce's albums are great and Pharrel's is listenable.

Record of the Year and Song of the Year are both absolutely disgusting. A lot of talentless scum up in there.

Chandelier is an amazing pop song. There is a shit load of talent in that woman.

If only there was a way to get a copy of SOI to all those grammy people.
I am sure if they only listened to it they would know how great it really is.

In my experience, ATYCLB was the last U2 album since AB that seemed to appeal to both old and new fans.

I wouldn´t even dare to compare AB to ATYCLB in any kind of correlation. These albums are light years away in terms of musical ambitions and creativity, originality, etc.

U2 were smart and they did a calculated step with ATYCLB after POP and Passengers fiasco, they focused mainly to do radio friendly pop sounding songs and they suceeded with this goal. When I hear first seconds of B day or Walk On on tha album, I´m not sure if it is not a Take That or Backstreet Boy song.

The only thing they can do to avoid becoming a greatest hits live act, is to go away and dream it up again, and come back with a new story to tell,

This is the main thing that they did with the new album. Period.

They came up with something unexpected, fresh, exciting, full of great sngs, non-U2 generic sounding record

I call it their 3rd best album beyond Joshua an Baby

What more can you ask for? And they are in their 50´s. That´s absolutely incredible for a rock band to put out such a tremendous album in such age. I would never expected that...

I wouldn´t even dare to compare AB to ATYCLB in any kind of correlation. These albums are light years away in terms of musical ambitions and creativity, originality, etc.

U2 were smart and they did a calculated step with ATYCLB after POP and Passengers fiasco, they focused mainly to do radio friendly pop sounding songs and they suceeded with this goal. When I hear first seconds of B day or Walk On on tha album, I´m not sure if it is not a Take That or Backstreet Boy song.

Funny, I think ATYCLB retains U2's otherwordly sound despite the obviously poppish direction. Whereas about half of SOI sounds awash in the mainstream production touches of today (Did you somehow miss the first six songs?), more transparently than ever before. Not that I'm knocking the new album at all, I enjoy most of it, but it's definitely calculated to a much greater extreme than ATYCLB.

Anyway, I was commenting more on how ATYCLB was received public-wise. I was a Senior in High School at the time, and had been a fan since Zooropa was new. Let me tell you, no one outside of me and few others gave a shit about U2 until "Beautiful Day" was released. The Pop album? No one made a peep in junior high. All of a sudden, upon the release of ATYCLB, it was suddenly cool to like U2 again. I heard it played in classrooms, cars, everywhere. The album was a smash hit. And even though I felt it was a bit safe, I couldn't deny it was refreshing to hear them singing simple, bright, mostly irony-free songs (BD is actually an ironic song, ironically).

This is the main thing that they did with the new album. Period.

They came up with something unexpected, fresh, exciting, full of great sngs, non-U2 generic sounding record

I call it their 3rd best album beyond Joshua an Baby

What more can you ask for? And they are in their 50´s. That´s absolutely incredible for a rock band to put out such a tremendous album in such age. I would never expected that...

Are you trying to win favor with certain members here or something? 3rd best album?

Nevermind. Look, I'm talking more about their image. Yes, the album has some lovely numbers. More than half of it is business as usual. That's fine, and you're correct, they are well late into their career. No, they have not re-invented anything with this album. It's a competent U2 album that probably would have gotten a fairer shake had it not been released in the manner it was delivered. Best thing for U2, and I've been saying this forever, would be for them to stop trying to "win" every time out.

I don't even know how this conversation started.

Anyways U2 got a Golden Globe, and Bono's got his 100th Man of the Order of the Free People of The Royal of the Spiritual gent of the century award.

I'm just kind of surprised to hear that people think there is any kind of relevancy to the Grammys these days. I know that they might get it right the odd time, but those times are generally few and far between.

I hear the same thing year after year that the Grammy's aren't relevant but they certainly do in the end calculate to higher record sales for anything that is nominated.

If an album is made with passion and heart, musicianship and melody but nobody hears it is it relevant? I would say no.

Screw the Grammys.

U2 needs to just change up their image to be relevant:

Screenshot_2014-09-21-01-27-08-1.png

BOOM! There you go. Record $ales through the roof.

I know what counts as rock is very subjective... but Beck's belonged in the folk category, is there any electric guitar at all? Would have thought Turn Blue is a better chance...

I wish Apple didn't have the automatic downloads option.

... why don't you turn it off then? Apple didn't force anyone the new U2 record. For a lot of people it was actually requiring some effort to have it downloaded. Only those who have the Automatic Downloads option turned on received it automatically. :shrug: Kinda weird to blame U2 or Apple for something you have control over.

Funny, I think ATYCLB retains U2's otherwordly sound despite the obviously poppish direction. Whereas about half of SOI sounds awash in the mainstream production touches of today (Did you somehow miss the first six songs?), more transparently than ever before. Not that I'm knocking the new album at all, I enjoy most of it, but it's definitely calculated to a much greater extreme than ATYCLB.

I cannot disagree more. The plan for ATYCLB was clear: let´s forget about challenging ourselves musically, let´s make couple of catchy songs, let´s remove all the organic and edgy things out of them, put them in radio friendly suit and gain as more public attention as possible.

While with new album they decided to go into completely new teritorries for them, they did songs that sound like U2 has never before. That was the main goal, not to be the biggest band in the world. That is not what this record is about, unlike their approach in POP, ATYCLB or Bomb era. It is about going musically and thematically to places they have never been. It was a courageous and not easy step for them and moreover the result is brilliant.
:applaud:

... why don't you turn it off then? Apple didn't force anyone the new U2 record. For a lot of people it was actually requiring some effort to have it downloaded. Only those who have the Automatic Downloads option turned on received it automatically. :shrug: Kinda weird to blame U2 or Apple for something you have control over.

Everything you're saying is correct, but it doesn't matter.

The perception is that the album was forced on people, which is only half true. The album WAS placed in everyone's "purchased" folder, whether you wanted it there or not. It just wasn't automatically downloaded unless you either didn't yourself, or in many cases, has auto download on.

But the perception is stronger than the actual reality. And that's all that matters.

I cannot disagree more. The plan for ATYCLB was clear: let´s forget about challenging ourselves musically, let´s make couple of catchy songs, let´s remove all the organic and edgy things out of them, put them in radio friendly suit and gain as more public attention as possible.

While with new album they decided to go into completely new teritorries for them, they did songs that sound like U2 has never before. That was the main goal, not to be the biggest band in the world. That is not what this record is about, unlike their approach in POP, ATYCLB or Bomb era. It is about going musically and thematically to places they have never been. It was a courageous and not easy step for them and moreover the result is brilliant.
:applaud:

I don't think U2 ever made a straight-up pop album before ATYCLB. That was new territory for them. This new album is more a grab bag type of approach. It's got the 00's cockrock, some poppy stuff that makes some of the pop tunes on ATYCLB sound edgy, and it has a couple call backs to the 90's. If anything, it's kind of what they've been doing since BOMB.

And lastly, how is dropping the biggest release in music history not about them being the biggest band in the world? Why do you think they did it? To be subtle?

Callbacks to the 90s? You seem to be completely overlooking the return to the War-era sound on tracks like Volcano and Raised By Wolves, as well as the less-specific 80s sound of This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now.

Not sure what on there is reminiscent of their 90s work.

Sleep Like A Baby sounds like a callback to the 90's. He even brings back the Fat Lady voice for a brief moment. Maybe it's just me but The Troubles sounds a bit 90's. That Trip-Hop influence and Bono's crooning.

You're right about RBW, I had forgotten to mention that. I hear more of the 00's era in Volcano though.

So there's 80's, 90's and 00's and today inspired stuff. It's a retrospective with a couple modern sounding pop tunes.

Not exactly the reinvention that thavidesco is hearing, but I guess it's all subjective in the end.

I wish Apple didn't have the automatic downloads option.

That's an Apple problem, not a U2 one.

I dont have auto-download turned on for ANYTHING, including iTunes. I dont like the idea of things being downloaded without my consent. Purchases or not. It meant a small hiccup to get SoI, but eventually it went through. And then I put it on my Droid so I could listen to it on my phone. :shrug:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom