SOE 30: With a Fanscore of 5 Bananas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DNj-xI6UIAA-EyM.jpg

This may be the official tour image. Far, far better than the four of them in bed lol

The production on all of these songs is jarring on the first listen. Every one of them has left me uncomfortable first time through, but has settled down each time since.

They are both good songs, but this ultra-modern, clean production style takes some getting used to. Edge’s guitar tone in the solo of ‘Get Out’ is strange, and I was not expecting the acoustic guitar in The Blackout chorus.

My thoughts exactly..... Production is an issue like it was on SOI..... its un U2 somehow hahaha

We need more time.

Very produced, compressed sound though. Will say Edge still lacking in the three songs we've heard. Blackout his best work, and at least Bono isn't super high in that mix.

Definitely not sure about the spoken/rap bit.

My thoughts exactly..... Production is an issue like it was on SOI..... its un U2 somehow hahaha

Agree. I like the warmth and openness that comes with Brian and Danny.

This is so compressed that it just doesn't seem like the same band sometimes.

Songs will be fun live for sure.

Agree. I like the warmth and openness that comes with Brian and Danny.

This is so compressed that it just doesn't seem like the same band sometimes.

Songs will be fun live for sure.

Yeah exactly.... Like the songs are still kinda there it just sounds like a wall of sound and I miss that classic U2 production even if its technically not great and clean

We need more time.

Very produced, compressed sound though. Will say Edge still lacking in the three songs we've heard. Blackout his best work, and at least Bono isn't super high in that mix.

Definitely not sure about the spoken/rap bit.

Absolutely. But first impressions are satisfied enough and to me GOOYOW is more Beautiful Day than California so it's definitely veering on the right side of the pop spectrum. Not sure about the Kendrick rap at the end though (if it is indeed him). Surprised I enjoyed The Blackout as much as I did though. Live video was awful in retrospect with dreadful crowd noises but this sounded crisp and energetic enough.

Last edited:
Loved both [emoji7] Get out of your own way reminded me of BD and I think it's actually better [emoji4]

No way I can catch up with this thread, ha ha.

IT'S ALL HAPPENING YAAAAAAY!

"Real" version of Blackout sounds great. I like Get Out of Your Own Way.

No PNW dates and I don't think traveling to Vegas or San Jose will work for me, but that's okay. I can hold off until second US leg.

I am not on board with what appears to be their current approach to the overall sound and mixing of the drums on these tracks. I was hoping it was a one-off with Best Thing, but it's definitely the same deal here. That being said, these are good songs.

Blackout intro reminded me instantly of Zoo Station. Blackout studio version is so much better than the live version.

GOOYOW seems ok but I need to listen to it more to form a real opinion. Don't like the preaching at the end though, not my cup of tea.

So, are these both new singles eligible to chart then?

Get Out...just got the listen on BBC. Um...is it a bad sign that my first impression is worse than what I consider to be in my bottom tier of U2 songs? I mean, their songs usually need time to grow, but this one's got a long long way to go for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom