SOE 30: With a Fanscore of 5 Bananas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great cover. Like the blue border. Blue is taking over the yellow theme from SOI.

But.....why isn't there an official announcement yet! Maybe it will drop on december 1 without announcement.
And I'm a bit disappointed that there is no mention of a deluxeversion with two cd's..... Hoping there's no acoustic material on it!!!

Blue border isn’t on the deluxe artwork though..

Valencia’s still messing around with the Blackout letter. Now they say SoE will be announced on November 1st (or the 11th). Not sure. :rolleyes:

5f5fdfdb15dd53d68891a3b283150f2c--local-news-bananas.jpg

the blue border of the deluxe edition cover is just to not confusing it with the banana edition, which is yellow :giggle:

Valencia’s still messing around with the Blackout letter. Now they say SoE will be announced on November 1st (or the 11th). Not sure. :rolleyes:
The 11th is a Saturday, so I'd guess another Wednesday announcement, November 1.

It's also dead smack in the middle of dios de la muerte.

It could also be that Valencia is full of shit. Or perhaps they stumbled upon a one sheet detailing release plans. Or are full of shit.

The 11th is a Saturday, so I'd guess another Wednesday announcement, November 1.

It's also dead smack in the middle of dios de la muerte.

It could also be that Valencia is full of shit. Or perhaps they stumbled upon a one sheet detailing release plans. Or are full of shit.

I'm inclined to believe them this time, since they got it right for the blackout.
Now the question is - Do they just announce the album release, get it up for presale?
Do they give the name and date of next single??
Or do we actually get a new single that day?
I really hope they just release the single on Friday instead of Wednesday. The Wednesday thing really didn't make much sense in the big scheme of things for TBT.

Anyway, looking forward to whatever we get.

Maybe the band will play while they're there! Vertigo, IWF, ordinary love, Vertigo x2.

Oddly nothing new

To each their own, but I think it’s their best since AB.

Zooropa and NLOTH are both excellent covers. But I really like this one too. Ever since it was shown at gigs I was hoping it would be the cover, recalling Boy/War/Best Of 1980-1990. Which makes you think it should've been SOI's cover, but oh well.

(Also, Achtung was the worst cover until HTDAAB came along.)

It's so funny seeing all of these stories with "the new album will be in stores on December 1" and still we have nothing from the band.

Gotta be this week... right? Almost 1 month of heavy promo sounds right to me.

I like the cover and the blue colors... glad the border isn't on the actual album sleeve.

Zooropa and NLOTH are both excellent covers. But I really like this one too. Ever since it was shown at gigs I was hoping it would be the cover, recalling Boy/War/Best Of 1980-1990. Which makes you think it should've been SOI's cover, but oh well.

I liked nloth, but Zooropa was always just meh for me. But I did like the square theme of the 90’s which makes their best of a head scratcher.

I hope it's Friday just so that U2Valencia aren't accidentally right.

I really think it's gonna be Wed

Let’s hope. I can understand them delaying to finish the tour and/or changing the single and/or waiting for TBT to plateau on US radio (which it seems to be finally doing, or at least slowing). Maybe the post prod on the GOOYOW video took longer than expected?

But they can’t go for two months since the first single before an announcement, or with only one single out there, and then less than a month for the second one before the album.

The timing of The Blackout for RSD makes me think:

1/11 - Album announcement AND GOOYOW single announcement/tease.
3/11 - GOOYOW single release, added as an album streaming track/download. Pushed to Pop, Ac style formats on radio.
24/11 - The Blackout physical release, and added as an album streaming track/download. Pushed to rock, alternative style formats on radio.
1/12 - album released.

Let’s hope. I can understand them delaying to finish the tour and/or changing the single and/or waiting for TBT to plateau on US radio (which it seems to be finally doing, or at least slowing). Maybe the post prod on the GOOYOW video took longer than expected?

But they can’t go for two months since the first single before an announcement, or with only one single out there, and then less than a month for the second one before the album.

The timing of The Blackout for RSD makes me think:

1/11 - Album announcement AND GOOYOW single announcement/tease.
3/11 - GOOYOW single release, added as an album streaming track/download.
24/11 - The Blackout physical release, and added as an album streaming track/download.
1/12 - album released.
They wouldn't announce the album and then release the song a couple days later. That makes zero sense. They'd do both at the same time, probably combined with a "pre-order today, download new single now" deal.

They wouldn't announce the album and then release the song a couple days later. That makes zero sense. They'd do both at the same time, probably combined with a "pre-order today, download new single now" deal.

Probably, I’m just assuming they will abandon Wednesday singles to capitalise on radio play reporting weeks. I just can’t see them holding off the album announcement any longer after the retailers posting photos, competitions being run, and every news outlet reporting the release date.

This is really annoying. They don’t announce anything last Friday. Now, it’s lookong like they will announce things Wednesday. And like you said, it doesn’t make sense not to also release the single that day. They would miss out on the initial rush of people that would go to pre order and get the single in the process.
But in true U2 fashion, they hobble themselves by only giving the single half a week of sales/streams/views.
So instead of a top 40 UK single, they get a number 85 single. Instead of getting a spot of some sort on the Hot100, if even for a week - they get nuthin.

It should have been announced last Friday, or this Friday. Wednesday thing is unnecessary and self defeating having already gotten a song playing on radio.

I remember getting drunk once, maybe 20 years ago, perhaps more. It was fall time and i had been at home listening to zooropa and 'new adventures in hi-fi' as the sun set outside. The inspiration was there and the mood was great, so i felt the need to let go of myself and try to do something creative.

i had this giant dry erase board, like they have in some classrooms, so i took to drawing a picture of :bono: on the dry erase board, just like the RS cover, complete with those fucking fly shades.

Behind him i drew one of the great pyramids of giza, from memory, and Cairo West behind that. After i was done i put a small "for sale" sign in front of the great pyramid. People would come by and admire the picture, yet they didn't understand the for sale sign. It made perfect sense to me at the time, though admittedly after sleeping it off i had no idea what it meant.

Today it's different though. Like a boomerang fighting orbit, like the waves that never crash ashore, it's building momentum until the stars above take control and your master has spoken. Be not a prisoner of your art, or lack of art, whatever dried up your emotions and made the ink go light. The sounds you made were the desires on my page, all petals of a common rose. Please don't let the bloody thorn take you away...

This is really annoying.

they hobble themselves by only giving the single half a week of sales/streams/views.
So instead of a top 40 UK single, they get a number 85 single. Instead of getting a spot of some sort on the Hot100, if even for a week - they get nuthin.

You know this doesn't mean anything real, right? It's bragging rights at this point. I find it amusing that this difference of placement (either way, not very high) would bother you; whether they place in the top 40, top 100, whatever. It's not going to affect people buying the album. How good the song is, how much people are into it, that's going to affect it.

If you're going to be concerned with chart performance, I don't see this as being anywhere near a big deal as the album itself debuting at #1. Because however high a new U2 single places, it sure as hell isn't going to contend for a top spot, or even close. You can take a guess which one the band cares more about.

Typical contrarian bullshit.

Last edited:
The announcement almost HAS to be this week. A month out and no official announcement for a major release is odd (outside of a surprise drop). Most new albums have three singles by now. And to the casual fan, Best Thing is floating around like an engine with no vehicle. I bet most assume it’s a charity throwaway and I doubt anyone even recognized Blackout during WS. The tentative, safeguarded “promotion” is fleeting. They need to bring it all together and quick.

Typical contrarian bullshit.

It's a mess! I get that loving an album might engender some greater affection to its cover (even if I've never rated UF's cover that highly despite my love for that album), but I've never understood why Achtung's cover is well-liked. It feels as if they couldn't figure out what they wanted to do so they just threw all their ideas together and walked away. It looks especially shit on CD but the larger template of a record sleeve doesn't improve it much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom