So what've we got so far? - a proposed map of the album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry for a double post but I plead once again - NEW songs!!! The old material should be left rare or b-sided, they should have enough from the last sessions to give us new blood!

Songs of Ascent: map of the album
Last Update: April 14th 2010

Cover: Unknown, (unofficial fan made placeholder):

Album name: Songs of Ascent (?)
Release date: McGuinness tells Rolling Stone Magazine that a release "before the end of the year is increasingly likely". Q Magazine claims something similar.
Recorded in: Fez, Morocco 2007 resumed sessions in Eze-sur-Mer, France and Manhattan, New York City in late 2009
Producers: Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois/Steve Lillywhite(?)
Format(s): Possibly CMX / Apple LP? (Digital).
Bono previously mentioned something similar to these formats in Q Magazine about No Line On The Horizon:

Code:
On a markedly less drunken occasion at home in the South of France last summer, Bono experienced a eureka moment.
Staring at his huge plasma TV screen he was using to play music, 
he found himself suddenly frustrated by the virtually static nature of the iTunes control panel.
"I'm looking at this stationary iTunes, wondering why if we were listening to The Joshua Tree, you couldn't maybe see full-screen photographs moving?" he recalls.
"If I was reshooting that cover now, I'd shoot it over 40 minutes and have the heads moving. Even in working-class homes there's big, fuck-off plasma screens. 
And I thought, Look at that screen and then think about the gatefold vinyl album in its heydey...this is way better! This could waste it!" 
As a result, U2 are currently working on releasing No Line on the Horizon
as a downloadable widget - a piece of interactive software - complete with artwork and lyrics. 
"Then I thought, Gosh, you can't rob that." Bono points out, arching an eyebrow knowingly. "We might have thought of a new format".

Mood: A more reflective album, with pilgrimage as the central theme. It is intended to be a companion album to NLOTH. Possibly with new electro-influences as of recent sessions in early 2009.

Possible songs:
An estimated three new songs were recently written during sessions in U2's Eze-sur-Mer studio. Additionally, some songs might have been written during the sessions in Manhattan.

Every Breaking Wave - 4 minutes 13 seconds, priority to finish (Dec 2008) - possible first single according to Rolling Stone.
  • Q Magazine, December, 2008:
    With Or Without You-style pulser that builds layers of guitars over electronically enhanced verses before opening up into an expansice drop chorus and then, ultimately, exploding into an exstatic coda. Key line: "Every sailor knows that the sea/Is a friend made enemy"
  • Bono flips open his Macbook Air and calls up a file. "I think I may have just managed to rhyme 'life' with 'life'," he notes, rolling his eyes. Lillywhite cues up the track, a meditative, slow-burning track called Every Breaking Wave that gradually builds to a climax brimming with passion and intensity. Bono begins to sing, rocking back and forward on his studio chair, as he performs a near-note-perfect vocal that employs the movement of the ocean as a metaphor for the human struggle, before building to the plaintive line, "I don't know if I'm that strong."
  • Rolling Stone, January 22, 2009:
    A swelling soul-pop song, with bright synth sounds influenced by OMD and, Bono says, "early electronica". "You don't hear indie bands doing blue-eyed soul [like this]." he adds.
Pilgrim's Lack of Progress - House of Abraham Left over from No Line On The Horizon
Velvet Hearts - Leftover from NLOTH sessions in Fez, 2007.
Not As Yet - Left over from No Line On The Horizon
8522720743878734.jpg

Kingdom of Your Love - Left over from No Line On The Horizon
YouTube - Complete U2 360º Concert - Giants Stadium

Winter - Left over from No Line On The Horizon, re-recorded for 'Brothers' and a third, "electronic version", is being developed by The Edge.
YouTube - U2 Winter
YouTube - U2 - "Winter" from Brothers (2009) better quality

Thank You For the Day - Bono/Lanois collaboration. Different versions in existance pre-Fez summer 2007.
YouTube - Daniel Lanois - Thank You

Mercy- 6 minutes 30 seconds - Left over from HTDAAB (Edge mentioned that U2 still haven't agreed on the final fate of the track in March 2009.)
YouTube - U2-Mercy

We Love You - Born on Elevation Tour show in Antwerp:
YouTube - U2 - We Love You - [Unreleased Song] (Elevation Antwerp)

...Possibly reworked and used as celtic/arabic intro to Beautiful Day on first leg of U2 360° Tour:
YouTube - U2 Gothenburg 2009-07-31 Beautiful Day

Pictures and other sources:

u2boardsmall.jpg

fezboardenhanced.jpg

Code:
NO LINE ON THE HORIZON                                         VELVET HEARTS
pilgrims lack of progress - HOUSE of ABRAHAM               THANK you for THE DAY
SONGS OF ASCent

img117i.jpg

Code:
[B]I Was Lost[/B] - probably an early Unknown Caller [I]("I was lost, between the midnight and the dawning...")[/I]
[B]No Line On The Horizon[/B]
[B]Moment of Surrender[/B]
[B]Magnificent (French Disco)[/B]
[B]Chromium Chords[/B] - Ended up becoming Being Born
[B]Tripoli[/B] - Became FEZ
[B]Cedars of Lebanon[/B]
[B]For Your Love[/B] - reworked into Stand Up Comedy
[B]Sexy Boots[/B] - Early Get On Your Boots
[B]Breathe[/B]
[B]Hymn / White As Snow[/B]
[B]Not As Yet[/B]
[B]Diorama[/B] - Lanois said in an interview that this became I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
[B]Kingdom of Your Love[/B] - Officially unreleased but used as opening song for the U2 360º Tour after Bowie's Space Oddity.

852272074321596.jpg

8522720743357879.jpg

LEFT SHEET IN RED:

Code:
[COLOR="Red"]
Next to your perfect skin	Next to yo--

I'm an irritation		         I'm like so--
and way to serious to take	and way --
seriously.			         to take s--

You free me			Am I like
from the free frame		and
ight flight fear		         ----
	    fame		        next to you
you free me cause		I'm just an
your not vain			And WAY loo
glouriously.			        lo lake ser--
[/COLOR]

RIGHT SHEET IN GREEN: - Presumably 'Everybody Is A Star'

Code:
Please be a star let me lose--
then fall
caller ??
see him crack

Everybody is a star
Marie Antoinette . ?? like a loyal
		             like a loyal
Slowly to all and ??

Rousseau?? can senn?? 17 70 -
Flashy eyes and brighter
just a baby -
Marie Antoinette at an ??
	standing heat 

flash w--
--ss calm down
[/COLOR]

These are confirmed outright or highly suspected to have been unique songs unto themselves, not earlier versions or provisional titles for songs we already know.

Leftovers from 2000-2006
Sun, Moon and Stars (ATYCLB sessions, mentioned explicitly by Bono, pre-release)
Bulldozer (said to be Larry's favorite song during ATYCLB sessions)
Treason (HTDAAB sessions, with production by Dr. Dre)
Northern Star (HTDAAB sessions, tribute to Johnny Cash)
Lead Me in the Way I Should Go (HTDAAB, mentioned a few times)
If I Could Live My Life Again (inspired by Jorge Luis Borges)
Love Is All We Have Left (mnetioned on a trip to Africa as a Sinatra song)
You Can't Give Your Heart Away (ATYCLB)

Current U2 projects: (3) Last Update: June 17th 2010
Click SHOW SPOILER below for details
NOTE: The Edge stated in June 2010 that the band will roadtest new material during the continuation of the U2360° in Europe, 2010. It is unknown at this point which of the three projects the band intend to play material from.

• Rick Rubin Sessions
    • Started in: 2006 at Abbey Road Studios, London.
    • Sound: "a rocking club album with beats and big guitars"
    • Confirmed song titles: None
    • Rumoured song titles: "All My Life"
    • Status: Gathering dust in the vaults, U2 have expressed a desire of returning to the material one day.

• Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark
    • Started in: 2006 or April 2007
    • Sound: Rock'n'roll Broadway musical featuring indie band Carney.
    • Confirmed song titles:
      • Rise Above
      • Boy Falls From The Sky
      • Turn Off The Dark
      • Bouncing Off The Walls
      • Bullying By Numbers
      • Pull The Trigger
      • If The World Should End
      • "a dozen" songs more.
    • Rumoured song titles: None
    • Status: Rumoured to open autumn/fall 2010 on Broadway. In 2006 fans got to hear a leak of 'Boy Falls From The Sky'.

• Songs of Ascent
    • Started in: Most material supposedly stems from summer 2007, Fez, Morocco sessions with potential tracks leaking as early as 2006 ('Thank You For The Day').
    • Sound: A "ghost album of hymns and Sufi singing. We're making a kind of heartbreaker, a meditative, reflexive piece of work"
    • Confirmed song titles: None
    • Rumoured song titles: Soon, Every Breaking Wave etc...
    • Status: Unknown, was said to be released in late 2009. Soon is about to be released on 7" orange coloured vinyl as part of U2360° Tour Live At Rose Bowl concert Super Deluxe Package. More info below.

• [Fan Working Title] "Terra Incognita"
    • Started in: Fall 2009, in-between legs of the current U2360° Tour.
    • Sound: Said to be influenced by electronica and traditional, almost folk music.
    • Confirmed song titles: None.
    • Rumoured song titles: Every Breaking Wave (?), "Glastonbury Festival Tribute"-song
    • Status: Unknown. Band is currently rumoured to stay at their summer homes in Eze-Sur-Mer, France where they might or might not go through their material for these current projects or rehearse for the continuation of the U2360° Tour in fall 2010.

Songs of Ascent: map of the album

Cover: Unknown, (unofficial fan made placeholder):

Album name: Songs of Ascent
Release date: McGuinness tells Rolling Stone Magazine that a release "before the end of the year is increasingly likely". Q Magazine claims something similar. However, neither states expressively that it will be Songs of Ascent.
Recorded in: Fez, Morocco 2007 resumed sessions in Eze-sur-Mer, France and Manhattan, New York City in late 2009
Producers: Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois with Steve Lillywhite(?)
Format(s): Possibly CMX / Apple LP? (Digital).
Bono previously mentioned something similar to these formats in Q Magazine about No Line On The Horizon:

Code:
On a markedly less drunken occasion at home in the South of France last summer, Bono experienced a eureka moment.
he found himself suddenly frustrated by the virtually static nature of the iTunes control panel.
"I'm looking at this stationary iTunes, wondering why if we were listening to The Joshua Tree, you couldn't maybe see full-screen photographs moving?" he recalls.
"If I was reshooting that cover now, I'd shoot it over 40 minutes and have the heads moving. Even in working-class homes there's big, fuck-off plasma screens. 
And I thought, Look at that screen and then think about the gatefold vinyl album in its heydey...this is way better! This could waste it!" 
as a downloadable widget - a piece of interactive software - complete with artwork and lyrics. 
"Then I thought, Gosh, you can't rob that." Bono points out, arching an eyebrow knowingly. "We might have thought of a new format".

Mood: A more reflective album, with pilgrimage as the central theme. It is intended to be a companion album to NLOTH. Possibly with new electro-influences as of recent sessions in early 2009.

Possible songs:
An estimated three new songs were written during sessions in U2's Eze-sur-Mer studio in late 2009. Additionally, some songs might have been written during the sessions in Manhattan early 2010. Bono said to Canada's Sun Media in 2009 that the band had 12 songs for the project ready to go.

Every Breaking Wave - 4 minutes 13 seconds, priority to finish (Dec 2008) - possible first single according to Rolling Stone.
    With Or Without You-style pulser that builds layers of guitars over electronically enhanced verses before opening up into an expansice drop chorus and then, ultimately, exploding into an exstatic coda. Key line: "Every sailor knows that the sea/Is a friend made enemy"
  • Bono flips open his Macbook Air and calls up a file. "I think I may have just managed to rhyme 'life' with 'life'," he notes, rolling his eyes. Lillywhite cues up the track, a meditative, slow-burning track called Every Breaking Wave that gradually builds to a climax brimming with passion and intensity. Bono begins to sing, rocking back and forward on his studio chair, as he performs a near-note-perfect vocal that employs the movement of the ocean as a metaphor for the human struggle, before building to the plaintive line, "I don't know if I'm that strong."
    A swelling soul-pop song, with bright synth sounds influenced by OMD and, Bono says, "early electronica". "You don't hear indie bands doing blue-eyed soul [like this]." he adds.
Pilgrim's Lack of Progress - House of Abraham Left over from No Line On The Horizon
8522720743878734.jpg

Soon (previously; Kingdom of Your Love) - The version released is speculated to be a teaser for a proper release in the future.
YouTube - U2 - Soon

Winter - Left over from No Line On The Horizon, re-recorded for 'Brothers' and a third, "electronic version", is being developed by The Edge.
YouTube - U2 Winter
YouTube - U2 - "Winter" from Brothers (2009) better quality

Thank You For the Day - Bono/Lanois collaboration. Different versions in existance pre-Fez summer 2007.

Mercy- 6 minutes 30 seconds - Left over from HTDAAB (Edge mentioned that U2 still haven't agreed on the final fate of the track in March 2009.)
YouTube - U2-Mercy

We Love You - Born on Elevation Tour show in Antwerp:

...Possibly reworked and used as celtic/arabic intro to Beautiful Day on first leg of U2 360° Tour:

Pictures and other sources:

u2boardsmall.jpg

fezboardenhanced.jpg

Code:
pilgrims lack of progress - HOUSE of ABRAHAM               THANK you for THE DAY
SONGS OF ASCent

img117i.jpg

Code:
[B]I Was Lost[/B] - probably an early Unknown Caller [I]("I was lost, between the midnight and the dawning...")[/I]
[B]Cedars of Lebanon[/B]
[B]Breathe[/B]
[B]Not As Yet[/B]
[B]Diorama[/B] - Lanois said in an interview that this became I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
[B]Kingdom of Your Love[/B] - Officially unreleased but used as opening song for the U2 360º Tour after Bowie's Space Oddity.

852272074321596.jpg

8522720743357879.jpg

LEFT SHEET IN RED:

Code:
[COLOR="Red"]

You free me			Am I like
from the free frame		and
[/COLOR]

Code:
then fall
caller ??
see him crack

Everybody is a star
		             like a loyal
Slowly to all and ??

Flashy eyes and brighter
just a baby -
	standing heat 

flash w--
--ss calm down
[/COLOR]
[CODE]

Current U2 projects: (4)
Last Update: August 26th 2010

Introduction:
The band have several ideas as to how they will release these songs ranging from the release of an EP to a digital application for iPhones, iPads and laptops. The latter could be the mysterious CMX format being worked on by the big four record companies and could possibly also include Apple's own iTunes LP-format.

Code:

Bono claims in August 2010 that the band will bring new songs to their tour legs in Australia/New Zealand 2010 and North America 2011, but doesn't specify what projects these songs will come from.
At about 03:22 - 03:30; "There's a whole set of songs we have for Australia, which will probably be played for the first time, so that's going to make it extra special for us".
YouTube - U2 360 Tour Australia.mov

Also, McGuinness hopes that the group will release another album soon - possibly before the end of the year.

Project summaries:
  • Rick Rubin Sessions
    • Cover: Unknown
    • Sound: "a rocking club album with beats and big guitars". Recently Bono has been speaking about "a club-sounding album" being worked on, possibly this is the one he was referring to.
    • Producer: Rick Rubin
    • Confirmed song titles: None, however Bono says "We have five or six songs on that album."
    • Rumoured song titles: "All My Life" (fan working title)
    • Status: U2 have expressed a desire of returning to the material one day.
    • Previews: Not Avaliable

• Started in: 2006 or April 2007
    • Cover: See video preview below.
    • Producers: To be confirmed.
    • Confirmed song titles:
      • Rise Above
      • Boy Falls From The Sky
      • Turn Off The Dark
      • Bouncing Off The Walls
      • Bullying By Numbers
      • Pull The Trigger
      • If The World Should End
    • Rumoured song titles: "a dozen" songs more
    • Status: After several delays, the show is scheduled to open on December 21 2010 with previews starting on November 14th 2010.
      In 2006 fans got to hear an early version of 'Boy Falls From The Sky' as recorded from outside Bono's Eze villa.
    • Previews:
      Boy Falls From The Sky (snippet):
      YouTube - U2News - Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark

For a brief period before the announcement of the full cast, another upbeat song was used on the website but it was quickly changed back to the above mentioned track.

• Songs of Ascent
    • Started in: Most material supposedly stems from summer 2007, Fez, Morocco sessions with potential tracks leaking as early as 2006 ('Thank You For The Day').
    • Sound: A "ghost album of hymns and Sufi singing. We're making a kind of heartbreaker, a meditative, reflexive piece of work"
    • Producers: Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois with Steve Lillywhite(?)
    • Confirmed song titles: None, However Bono told Canada's Sun Media in 2009 that the band had 12 songs for the project.
    • Rumoured song titles:

Every Breaking Wave - 4 minutes 13 seconds, priority to finish (December 2008) - possible first single according to Rolling Stone. Premiered on 2nd night in Helsinki, Finland in August 2010 on the 3rd leg of the current tour with only Edge on guitar.

8522720743878734.jpg

Mercy- 6 minutes 30 seconds - Left over from HTDAAB
      Edge mentioned that U2 still haven't agreed on the final fate of the track in March 2009 and Willie Williams thought about encouraging the band to play it live in 2010.

We Love You - Born on Elevation Tour show in Antwerp.
      Possibly reworked and used as celtic/arabic intro to Beautiful Day on first leg of U2 360° Tour.

North Star - From the 2004 How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb sessions which included a guest organ appearance from Michael W. Smith. Bono and Edge have performed an acoustic version of this song twice on the current tour.

Everybody Is A Star - Left over from No Line On The Horizon

• Previews:
      Soon (previously; Kingdom of Your Love)
      YouTube - U2 - Soon

North Star (Live)
      YouTube - U2 North Star, Helsinki 2010-08-20

Every Breaking Wave (Live)
      YouTube - U2 Helsinki 2010-08-21 Every Breaking Wave (new song) - u2gigs.com

Winter (Linear Verison)
      YouTube - U2 Winter

Winter ('Brothers' Soundtrack Version)
      YouTube - U2 -
      "Winter" from Brothers (2009)

Thank You (Lanois Version)

Mercy (2004 demo version)
      YouTube - U2-Mercy

We Love You (Live 2001)
      Beautiful Day 'We Love You' Intro (U2360 Tour Europe 2009)
    • Pictures and other sources:

u2boardsmall.jpg

fezboardenhanced.jpg

Code:
      SONGS OF ASCent

img117i.jpg

Code:
      [B]Cedars of Lebanon[/B]
      [B]Breathe[/B]
      [B]Not As Yet[/B]

852272074321596.jpg

8522720743357879.jpg

LEFT SHEET IN RED:

Code:
      [COLOR="Red"]

You free me			Am I like
      from the free frame		and
      [/COLOR]

Code:
      then fall
      caller ??
      see him crack

Everybody is a star
      		             like a loyal
      Slowly to all and ??

Flashy eyes and brighter
      just a baby -
      	standing heat 

flash w--
      --ss calm down
      [/COLOR]

Hey, just a thought: Up there you have For Your Love - reworked into Stand Up Comedy; but couldn't this be "North Star," since the lyrics are, "I can't wait any longer for your love"? Unless there was a separate song called "For Your Love." :shrug:

Hey, just a thought: Up there you have For Your Love - reworked into Stand Up Comedy; but couldn't this be "North Star," since the lyrics are, "I can't wait any longer for your love"? Unless there was a separate song called "For Your Love." :shrug:

Haven't been listening very much to the new songs except Every Breaking Wave because I don't want to spoil the surprise of the studio versions. (If however the next album doesn't include any of these new songs...:shifty:)

What I'm saying is I don't know the lyrics very well so that could be the case if you think so.

But there is a poor version out recorded from outside Hanover Quay Studios in 2008 where you clearly hear "I'm coming to the surface for your love" and then Lanois/Eno/Edge singing "For your love! For your love!" during the chorus - all in all this sounds awfully much like an early take of Stand Up Comedy since it has the same groove and Mysterious Ways-funk going on that we have heard in some of Adam's videoclips.

I for one am very sad that it was reworked into a less great song that haven't even been played live despite the promotion of the song on tour merchandise last year and all...:tsk:

'I was in grave danger': Bono

Remarkably, just ten weeks after the operation, he was back on stage in Europe. More ambitiously, he has revealed his band is working on three new albums.

The first, which is likely to be released early next year, is being produced by Danger Mouse, the alias for American production ace Brian Burton (Gnarls Barkley, Gorillaz).

"We have about 12 songs with him," Bono said. "At the moment that looks like the album we will put out next because it's just happening so easily."

The second album is what he calls a "club" record, that will feature Lady Gaga collaborator RedOne, Black Eyed Peas rapper Will.I.Am and French superstar David Guetta.

"U2's remixes in the 1990s were a real treasure," he said. "So we wanted to make a club sounding record. We have a pile of songs."

Bono and guitarist The Edge are also attempting to sell their bandmates, bassist Adam Clayton and drummer Larry Mullen jnr, the concept of a U2 album based on the 20 songs the two have written for a Spider-man musical that opens on Broadway next month.

"We haven't convinced the rest of the band to do that yet," he said. "Larry definitely has a raised eyebrow."

New U2 Songs: Sacred Heart of Malibu & Mother of Pearl

Add two new song titles into the mix for possible inclusion on U2's next album, or a future album: "The Sacred Heart of Malibu" and "Mother of Pearl."

@U2 reader Dennis L. tells us that both of those song names are mentioned in And They Called Him Bono, a recent book by Dutch journalist Bert van de Kamp. (official website here) Dennis explains that, in a recent interview, Bono played these two new songs and asked van de Kamp for his opinion. Bono also played a third song that's described a "Eurodisco-sounding," but the name of the song isn't mentioned in the book.

Book Review: <i>Soul Mining: A Musical Life</i> by Daniel Lanois

Unveiling his enthusiasm for No Line on the Horizon, which they were working on at the time Lanois was scripting this book, he mentions loving the title track and also expressing excitement for a song called "Welcome." Either "Welcome" didn't make the NLOTH cut, or it morphed into something different and earned a new name. Color me curious, because the way Lanois describes it, with multiple harmonies and two separate Larry drumbeats, it doesn't sound like anything already out there. He says, "This is the type of rock song I want to listen to."

Current U2 projects: (5-6)
Last Update: January 19th 2011

Introduction:
The band have several ideas as to how they will release these songs ranging from the release of an EP to a digital application for iPhones, iPads and laptops. The latter could be the mysterious CMX format being worked on by the big four record companies and could possibly also include Apple's own iTunes LP-format.

Code:
Manager Paul McGuinness hopes that the group will release another album soon - in November 2010 he pointed towards May 2011 for the next album to be released.

Project summaries:
  • Rick Rubin Sessions
    • Sound: "a rocking club album with beats and big guitars". Recently Bono has been speaking about "a club-sounding album" being worked on, possibly this is the one he was referring to.
    • Confirmed song titles: None, however Bono says "We have five or six songs on that album."

• Started in: 2002
    • Cover: See video preview below.
    • Producers: Steve Lilywhite
    • Confirmed song titles:
      • Act 1 (2010)
        • Splash Page
        • Behold and Wonder
        • Bullying by Numbers
        • No More
        • D.I.Y. World
        • Bouncing Off The Walls
        • Rise Above
        • Pull The Trigger
        • Picture This
        • I’ll Take Manhattan
      • Act 2 (2010)
        • Spider-Man Rising
        • Turn Off The Dark
        • Walk Away
        • Think Again
        • Sinistereo
        • Deeply Furious
        • If the World Should End
        • The Boy Falls From The Sky – Lyrics by: Bono & The Edge, Music by: U2
        • Love Me Or Kill Me
    • Status: After several delays due to production revision, addition of new music serious injuries and cast drop-outs, the show is now scheduled to open on March 2011
      In 2006 fans got to hear an early version of 'Boy Falls From The Sky' as recorded from outside Bono's Eze villa.
    • Previews:
      Boy Falls From The Sky (snippet):
      YouTube - U2News - Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark
    • Boy Falls From The Sky (U2 Live rehearsal 2010):
      YouTube - U2 - Boy Falls From The Sky (Rehearsal Auckland)
    • Music On The Internet subforum e-mail requests.

• Songs of Ascent
    • Producers: Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois with Steve Lillywhite(?)
    • Confirmed song titles: None, However Bono told Canada's Sun Media in 2009 that the band had 12 songs for the project.
    • Rumoured song titles:

Every Breaking Wave - 4 minutes 13 seconds, priority to finish (December 2008) - possible first single according to Rolling Stone. Premiered on 2nd night in Helsinki, Finland in August 2010 on the 3rd leg of the current tour with only Edge on guitar and Bono on vocals.

8522720743878734.jpg

Mercy- A revised version was released on the Wide Awake In America Live EP in late 2010. There's still no actual studio version of this one though.

Possibly reworked and used as celtic/arabic intro to Beautiful Day on first leg of U2 360° Tour.

North Star - From the 2004 How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb sessions which included a guest organ appearance from Michael W. Smith. Bono and Edge have performed a stripped down version of this song on the current tour.

Welcome - Mentioned in @u2.com's review of Daniel Lanois' book Soul Mining: "Lanois describes it, with multiple harmonies and two separate Larry drumbeats, it doesn't sound like anything already out there. He says, "This is the type of rock song I want to listen to."
    • Previews:
      YouTube - U2 - Soon

North Star (Live)

Winter (Linear Verison)
      YouTube - U2 Winter

YouTube - U2 -

Mercy (2010 new version Live)
      YouTube - U2-Mercy

We Love You (Live 2001)

u2boardsmall.jpg

fezboardenhanced.jpg

Code:
      SONGS OF ASCent
      img117i.jpg

Code:
      [B]Cedars of Lebanon[/B]
      [B]Breathe[/B]
      [B]Not As Yet[/B]
      852272074321596.jpg

8522720743357879.jpg

LEFT SHEET IN RED:

Code:
      [COLOR=Red]
      Next to your perfect skin    Next to yo--

I'm an irritation                 I'm like so--
      and way to serious to take    and way --
      seriously.                     to take s--

You free me            Am I like
      from the free frame        and
      ight flight fear                 ----
              fame                next to you
      you free me cause        I'm just an
      your not vain            And WAY loo
      glouriously.                    lo lake ser--
      [/COLOR]

Code:
      then fall
      caller ??
      see him crack

Everybody is a star
                           like a loyal
      Slowly to all and ??

Flashy eyes and brighter
      just a baby -
          standing heat 

flash w--
      --ss calm down
      Code:

• Project Zero One (Possibly a working title?)

[/SPOILER]

• "The Club Album"

• To Be Announced (?)

• Started in: 2010
  • Sound: ??
  • Producer: ??
  • Rumoured song titles: The Sacred Heart of Malibu and Mother of Pearl (?)
  • Status: A poster on the message boards of French website U2Achtung.com posted about three projects being underway in the U2 camp. The Danger Mouse/Rock Album, The Club/Remixes Album and "another album that contains some tracks not released by the group". His or hers sources are quite vague however so this might be a hoax - or referring to any of the above projects.
  • Previews: None.

Edge 89, you put together a really cool list.

Bono, or any artist, should be happy that anyone cares to listen to what they make.

U2 New Album Songs Of Ascent May Release Confirmed

U2 manager Paul McGuinness has confirmed that the new U2 record, their 13th studio album, will be released in May of 2011. Speaking at the Midem music conference in Cannes, France on February 1st 2011, McGuinness spoke about the release date and hinted at how recording sessions have gone. Paul McGuinness is often seen as the fifth member of the Irish rock band, having been their manager since the band formed more than thirty years ago.

McGuinness Confirms New U2 Album Almost Finished

The exact release date of the album has not been confirmed, at the time of writing, with McGuinness only stating that it would be during the month of May. Curiously though, Amazon.com have the new album listed for release on the 27th of May 2011. The working title for the album is Songs of Ascent, a title that was thought to be the name of the album on release. However, McGuinness stated in Cannes that this is unlikely to be the final name for the record, according to AtU2.com.

The record will is being produced by Dangermouse. McGuinness also stated that the songs have nearly all been completed. Now Bono, The Edge, Larry Mullen Jr and Adam Clayton are applying the final touches to the tracks in their studio in Southern France. By U2 standards, the previous album, No Line on the Horizon achieved low sales figures. According to United World Chart, the 2004 release, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb more than doubled the sales figures of the last album.

U2 360 Tour 2011

The release of the new album will coincide with a large part of the final leg of the 360 tour. The tour, huge in scope and the number of people that the Irish rockers will have played to, began in Barcelona in 2009 with two dates at Camp Nou. By the tour´s end, the group will have played in dozens of cities all over the world, in Europe, Africa, Asia, South America and North America. According to the Billboard Touring Award, 360 was the highest grossing tour worldwide in 2009 and in 2010. The remaining dates of the tour will see U2 play in cities including Johannesburg, Mexico City, Buenos Aires and cities in the United States and Canada. Over the course of the tour global acts such as Jay-Z, Snow Patrol, Kasabian, the Fray and One Republic have played as guests of the band. The band will close the tour on 30 July in Canada, playing at Moncton with The Arcade Fire providing support.

The band will undoubtedly play the new album on the rest of the tour. It is one of the most anticipated music releases of the year. U2´s 13th studio album will be available to buy in May.

Current U2 projects: (4-5)
Last Update: June 16th 2011

Introduction:
Reportedly, U2 will attempt to release the next album in 2012 and most, if not all, sources point towards the Danger Mouse collaboration, working title Project Zero One, as the next project to become the new U2 studio release. Meanwhile, Bono said that "the next thing people need to hear from U2 is not an art project.", explaining why the late 2009 release of Songs of Ascent never happened and the project is now postponed indefinitely.

Code:
Project summaries:
  • Rick Rubin Sessions

• Songs of Ascent
    • Started in: Most material supposedly stems from summer 2007, Fez, Morocco sessions with potential tracks leaking as early as 2004 (Mercy) and 2006 ('Thank You For The Day').
    • Producers: Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois, with Steve Lillywhite(?)
    • Rumoured song titles:

Every Breaking Wave - 4 minutes 13 seconds, priority to finish (December 2008) - possible first single according to Rolling Stone. Premiered on 2nd night in Helsinki, Finland in August 2010 on the 3rd leg of the current tour with only Edge on guitar and Bono on vocals.

8522720743878734.jpg

Mercy- A revised version was released on the Wide Awake In America Live EP in late 2010. There's still no actual studio version of this one though.

North Star - From the 2004 How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb sessions which included a guest organ appearance from Michael W. Smith. Bono and Edge have performed a stripped down version of this song on the current tour.

Welcome - Mentioned in @u2.com's review of Daniel Lanois' book Soul Mining: "Lanois describes it, with multiple harmonies and two separate Larry drumbeats, it doesn't sound like anything already out there. He says, "This is the type of rock song I want to listen to."

Mount Zion - Mentioned by Bono in an interview with Hot Press, May 2011.
    • Previews:
      YouTube - U2 - Soon

North Star (Live)

Winter (Linear Verison)
      YouTube - U2 Winter

YouTube - U2 -

Mercy (2010 new version Live)
      YouTube - U2-Mercy

We Love You (Live 2001)

u2boardsmall.jpg

fezboardenhanced.jpg

Code:
      SONGS OF ASCent
      img117i.jpg

Code:
      [B]Cedars of Lebanon[/B]
      [B]Breathe[/B]
      [B]Not As Yet[/B]
      852272074321596.jpg

8522720743357879.jpg

LEFT SHEET IN RED:

Code:
      [COLOR=Red]
      Next to your perfect skin    Next to yo--

I'm an irritation                 I'm like so--
      and way to serious to take    and way --
      seriously.                     to take s--

You free me            Am I like
      from the free frame        and
      ight flight fear                 ----
              fame                next to you
      you free me cause        I'm just an
      your not vain            And WAY loo
      glouriously.                    lo lake ser--
      [/COLOR]

Code:
      then fall
      caller ??
      see him crack

Everybody is a star
                           like a loyal
      Slowly to all and ??

Flashy eyes and brighter
      just a baby -
          standing heat 

flash w--
      --ss calm down
      Code:

• Project Zero One (Possibly a working title?)

• Started in: Fall 2009, in-between legs of the current U2360° Tour.
  • Sound: Said to be influenced by electronica and traditional, almost folk music. Possibly the rock album that is being referred to by Bono.
  • Producer: Danger Mouse
  • Rumoured song titles:
  • Status: In June 2011 Bono tells NBC Nightly News that the band has done 12-13 songs with Danger Mouse, all which lack instrumentation at this time.
  • Previews: Not avaliable
[/SPOILER]

• "The Club Album"

• Sound: U2's 90's remixes?
  • Producer: Will.i.Am, David Guetta and RedOne
  • Rumoured song titles: "We have a pile of songs" - Bono 2010. Possibly the Eurodisco track played to Bert van der Kamp and "I'll Believe Her When She Sings" produced by RedOne.
  • Status: Adam tells Rolling Stone Magazine in June 2011 that "We want to be in the clubs and make pop music as well as the thing U2 does, and we did that thing with RedOne, but in the end, it doesn't feel like the right fit." Thus seemingly has second priority after the Danger Mouse project. RedOne told Billboard that "Bono described [the album as] "futuristic." U2 going sci-fi, or something [laughs]. That's how he described it, but I don't know." Meanwhile Guetta hasn't started working with the band on the record but rather tinkering on his own at this point he tells MTV.

• To Be Announced (Hoax ???)

• Sound: ??
  • Producer: ??
  • Rumoured song titles: The Sacred Heart of Malibu and Mother of Pearl (?)
  • Status: A poster on the message boards of French website U2Achtung.com posted about three projects being underway in the U2 camp. The Danger Mouse/Rock Album, The Club/Remixes Album and "another album that contains some tracks not released by the group". His or hers sources are quite vague however so this might be a hoax - or referring to any of the above projects.

Other:

I revisited the beach clips from whenever the hell they were recorded and I must say... I really want to hear "Thank You For the Day" to surface in some capacity someday; it's a nice tune.

"All My Life" is also pretty nifty. Very Beatles-esque.

I revisited the beach clips from whenever the hell they were recorded and I must say... I really want to hear "Thank You For the Day" to surface in some capacity someday; it's a nice tune.

"All My Life" is also pretty nifty. Very Beatles-esque.

Well apparently Thank You For The Day was considered for inclusion on Songs of Ascent or even the last record judging from the whiteboard in Fez depictured in the spoiler tag above. How much they worked on it remains uncertain, maybe we won't see it again after part of the song ended up in I'll Go Crazy If I Don't go Crazy Tonight (namely the Baby baby baby, I know I'm not alone bit)
Having said that, Bono's piano ballad version is quite different from Lanois pedal steel song. Then again, The Fly and Ultra Violet came from the same song, yet both made the album and Lady With The Spinning Head was released as a b-side, so you never know. Not to mention how U2 can sit on songs for a while before giving them another try (City Of Blinding Lights, North Star, Mercy).

As for "All My Life" - it has a very uplifting feel to it, but I can't get past how similar it is to Walk On both in that sense and how the chorus is nearly identical in terms of chord progression. Would rather see it to be release as a b-side if anything assuming it's been left untouched since 2006.

"All My Life" really stands out, from what I remember.

Actually, I don't even have the beach clips anymore; they were on the old clunker computer.

All the more reason that U2 needs to release these songs. :wink: Hopefully we will get to hear the official finished versions someday soon.

12-13 "chunes":
The Daily Nightly - Talk of Danger Mouse...at 'Spider-man'

U2's The Edge backstage at the 2011 Q Awards after been named the Greatest Act Of The Last 25 Years - YouTube
4:05​

Bono Says Songs Of Ascent Isn't Dead

We're working on three albums at the moment and we haven't decided what order we're going to put them out but The Songs of Ascent have the kind of beautiful intimacy that we're speaking of now. They fit into this moment, the mode of some of these artists that I was hanging out with on Christmas Eve.

Adam Clayton & Dallas Schoo confirm: U2 is in the studio

Just received this report from Dublin, where U2 is in the studio...

Just a heads up on how wonderful your 4 basses are....beautiful instruments and so much "weight" and deep tone with a very light weight bass......amazing. The Will Lee is killer and the PJs so balanced. Adam has been tracking away and not having to break the momentum dialing in his sound.....Just a very good marriage of effortless tone that seems inherent with the overall design. The entire band and the production team could not be happier.

Nice one,
Dallas Schoo/U2

The Jones Girl - RT� Ten

He's almost finished producing U2's new album but Norah is simply not going to talk about that. "You'd need to ask him. He told me loads about it, not that I'm going to tell a journalist from Dublin! There's no gossip, nothing juicy to tell you anyway."

Rumor regarding RedOne:

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...iter-for-new-album-213794-55.html#post7509053

"One of our soundman has been working with Adams bass tech the past few days on a project, and is been told that larry is causing trouble, aparently U2 are using lady gaga's producer on some new stuff in edge's house and is heading towards a dance album or maybe too poppy album, so far they have throwing out a lot of ideas that larry hates. (please don't shoot me i am only the messenger)"

Bono has apparently given an Interview. It's in the 25th anniversary Edition of the Irish Voice. Excerpts are on irish central. LINK

What we all wanted to hear :sexywink:

According to Bono: The Edge is on fire.

Otherwise the usual Bono-talk:

On U2’s next album.
Bono talks excitedly about recent studio work and a fruitful collaboration with Brian Burton, better known as Danger Mouse, half of the former duo Gnarls Barkley with Cee-Lo Green.

“You know, there might be life in the old dog yet!”

“We’ve hit a vein. We’re working with this special soul, Brian Burton. He listens in a very different way.”

The sound, Bono says, is hardly old school U2.

“There are things that have always been in our music but maybe not being accentuated. It’s really very, very different. It’s shocking how different it is.”

Edge, Bono says, is on fire. “He’s unbelievable when he works. I feel very sorry for his family,” Bono laughs.

Larry and Adam are also pumped. “There’s a bass line coming up that you literally cannot believe. It’s just unbelievable. So yeah, it’s exciting.”

But Bono isn’t putting a timeline on when the music will be finished, or even if it will see the light of day. If the band isn’t completely thrilled with the end result it will go nowhere.

“We can still spoil it, and you know, I could be wrong,” Bono says. “And if so then people will not hear from us because there would be no reason for us to be around.

“There’s no sense of entitlement with these men. They are absolutely, you know, as honest right now as they were when making our first album, Boy.

“They don’t expect there to be an audience for us every time we go and put an album out. We have to dig down very deep.”

Back
Top Bottom