So...what is your all time favorite U2 song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:heart: Running To Stand Still :heart:

I don't have to think about it for one second. This is the most beautiful song ever written by U2, by any band, songwriter.... anyone!

Great choices everybody..
Is it just me or does it come and go?
For me some song is my favorite for maybe a week. Then suddenly it changes?

Tough, very tough.

I think it has to be The Fly.

In the past it has been Streets, The Unforgettable Fire and Bad(WAIA).

Well, Zooropa, I suppose. All I Want Is You and Ultraviolet for me in a way they never had before, but even that isn't enough to overcome the ecstatic stomach-in-throat feeling that the sprinting finish of that song gives me.

Toss up between "Angel Of Harlem" and "With Or Without You". "With Or Without You" is just a classic song and I love it immensely. But "Angel Of Harlem" is what kickstarted my deeper interest in U2-I remember hearing that song on the radio one night and actually stopping what I was doing and looking over at the radio. When that reaction happens, which isn't very often, that says very good things about the song :). After I heard that song I had to get it, as well as some other notable U2 songs onto mixes, and voila, next thing you know I'm a U2 fan. So the song's always got a special place for that, and would probably be the ultimate choice if I absolutely HAD to pick.

Angela

I remember SBS and NYD from my older brother's CD player when I first heard U2.

A few years later all of AB, in particular So cruel and One. Both of which used to be in the no. 1 spot.

Now for a while the one I like the most is Moment of surrender.

I change my favorite songs regularly (right now it's Tomorrow and its magnificent intro :drool:), but of all the songs I know and love Streets is the one that has stuck by me the most. When I first heard the studio version I thought to myself "WOW, music can't be any better than this!".

Then I heard the live version from Slane Castle and I was like
thud.gif

Soooo hard to chose.

I will always have a soft spot for Sunday Bloody Sunday. It was the first U2 song I remember hearing.

But I gotta give the top spot to Bullet The Blue Sky. Especially when it's played live.

I would pick "Where The Streets Have no Name" (the studio version). Not only one of their 5 or 6 best compositions, but also this track seems to summarize all the key, essential etc. elements of U2 -- pounding drums; lazy, bouncing bass; echoed-to-hell simple Edge-riff; and ultra-powerful Bono vocal with a spiritual twist. It screams "U2".

For that reason, I'm surprised some people picked something like "Gone". Good song, to be sure, but kind of generic sounding -- it's like any band could have performed it.

I'm also surprised it took as many posts as it did for someone to pick "With Or Without You". I'm pretty sure that one would win in a poll of the casual fan, at least in the USA and Canada.

I think WOWY's popularity and the amount it's been played live has turned a lot of long time fans off of it. I can understand that, but for me its beauty and emotion is just so powerful and simple at the same time, my love for it has just never wavered no matter how many times I hear it.

Probably Streets. I still get chills sometimes when I see and hear it played live. I know.....that's kinda weird.:wave:

Being a graphic designer, I have to go with:

Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration and sing about their grief

The Fly

A tough question, I love so many U2 songs... But if I had to pick one song, it would be Sometimes you can't make it on your own. My absolutely number one, I still have tears in my eyes when I'm listening to it. And this song makes me imagine that I'm looking through the window into the Hewson's living room. I see Bono with his dad; they're talking to each other, just sitting in silence, fighting and - very rarely - laughing. Strange feeling, but I have it almost every time I'm listening to this song. I love it so much that I would die happy if I could sing it with Bono and boys. :cute:

Acrobat. There's no other song that evokes so much emotion within me. And that guitar solo. Hot DAMN.
NLOTH2 comes a close second though, with Streets and Electrical storm in tow.

I would pick "Where The Streets Have no Name" (the studio version). Not only one of their 5 or 6 best compositions, but also this track seems to summarize all the key, essential etc. elements of U2 -- pounding drums; lazy, bouncing bass; echoed-to-hell simple Edge-riff; and ultra-powerful Bono vocal with a spiritual twist. It screams "U2".

For that reason, I'm surprised some people picked something like "Gone". Good song, to be sure, but kind of generic sounding -- it's like any band could have performed it.

I'm also surprised it took as many posts as it did for someone to pick "With Or Without You". I'm pretty sure that one would win in a poll of the casual fan, at least in the USA and Canada.

I disagree with you in part. Firstly, the fact that WTS screams U2 doesn't necessarily make it their best song. After all, Yahweh screams U2 as well! Secondly, I would not call Gone generic- for me, it sounds like nothing I have ever heard from any band. That said, I agree with you regarding WOWY.

I disagree with you in part. Firstly, the fact that WTS screams U2 doesn't necessarily make it their best song. After all, Yahweh screams U2 as well! Secondly, I would not call Gone generic- for me, it sounds like nothing I have ever heard from any band. That said, I agree with you regarding WOWY.

This.

Gone is hardly generic. Not by any stretch.

Miss Sarajevo is my favourite song that U2 wrote, but to me it belongs so much to Pavarotti and his glorious voice that I don't really see it as a U2 song.

I'd say it's a tie between The Fly and Running To Stand Still... and the beginning of Streets.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom