Simple question! No arguments! Like Pop? Y/N?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you like Pop?

• Yes

Votes: 165 87.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Maybe/somewhat

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Never heard it

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
Other than Gone and SATS, I really can't stand it. Well WUDM is okay. But it's their worst album by far. However, I am not surprised to see it do so well on this forum, where so many people endlessly defend it like their ugliest child. I'm sure if this poll was done on concertgoers, casual fans or non interferencers, it would fair much, much worse. Everyone I know in real life considers it a flop and a joke. Oh well, if you like it, that's fine as long as I don't have to hear it;)

:applaud: Hey all. I'm bumping this thread up one last time in case anybody else missed it. :wink:

rjhbonovox said:
Hey who's the bas#ard who said no? Come on delete that vote!:wink:

Oh my God... :lmao:

I certainly like Pop a lot...it's not my favourite U2 album, but still brilliant.

It's obvious that Pop defenders tend to over-hype just how good the album is. It's purely a defense mechanism. What they are really trying to say is that it is not as bad as it has been portrayed over the years. While I agree with this statement, it is also SO obvious that Pop is not one of U2's better albums/tours.

starvinmarvin said:
it is also SO obvious that Pop is not one of U2's better albums/tours.

:eyebrow: Okay... exactly how is this 'obvious'? Could you care to explain? We're all ears (or eyes I should say)!

(I know I said No Arguments.. but this is too tempting :wink: )

Zootlesque said:

:eyebrow: Okay... exactly how is this 'obvious'? Could you care to explain? We're all ears (or eyes I should say)!

(I know I said No Arguments.. but this is too tempting :wink: )

Overall, the quality of the songwriting was not up to par. Of course, songs like SATS and Gone are fantastic, but overall the songs just aren't there. In addition, Bono's vocals are crap (by his standards) too. Why anyone with such a powerful voice and huge range would choose to waste his talents singing at the lower end of his vocal register is incomprehensible. He has a great rock 'n roll voice, and I'm glad that he's using it again.

In the end, even the band isn't happy with the album. They still talk about going back to make changes to it, and I don't blame them.

Don't get me wrong - I don't hate Pop. But it just doesn't excite me like most other U2 albums do, and I know I'm not a lone in my opinions of it.

Yes - like it. But with every U2 album, there are some songs I don't care for as much as others But I still play it more than some other releases of theirs. I don't think I'd want them to go back and change it. They should keep moving forward.:wink:

starvinmarvin said:
It's obvious that Pop defenders tend to over-hype just how good the album is. It's purely a defense mechanism. What they are really trying to say is that it is not as bad as it has been portrayed over the years. While I agree with this statement, it is also SO obvious that Pop is not one of U2's better albums/tours.

This is probably the worst thing I've ever read in my life.

My love for Pop has absolutely nothing to do with public perception and is certainly not a "defense mechanism." When I first heard Pop, I was nine years old and the only music I'd really heard much of was Jethro Tull and the Dixie Dregs (strange, I know). As soon as I heard Discotheque, I was in love. I think Pop was the only album I listened to for about a year...at some point in time, I started getting other U2 albums - I believe my second was The Joshua Tree. I fell in love with every U2 album I listened to, but Pop remained my favourite and remains that way today. To me, that album is perfect. I would not change a single note of it. Unlike you, I'm not trying to pass off my opinion as fact. Though it saddens me that so many people, including the band, don't hold Pop in high regard, I can certainly understand the many criticisms, even if I don't agree.

And on a lighter note, I watched Popmart Live from Mexico City today, and damn what a good show :drool: I love Discotheque-If You Wear That Velvet Dress.

8 great songs(70 %)
Discoteque, Do you feel loved, Mofo, Staring at the sun, Last night on Earth, Gone, Please, Wake up dead man

2 ok songs(15 %)
If God will send his angels, If you wear that velvet dress

2 suckers(15 &)
-1 that ressurected live - Miami
-1 that sucks - The Playboy Mansion

6 singles, should be 8(Gone and Do you feel loved)
Mistake in first single(should have been Mofo)

I think it's time to go to Miami, MY MAMMY

Of course I do. Who wouldn't like an album with Do You Feel Loved?, Staring At The Sun, Last Night On Earth, Gone, If You Wear That Velvet Dress, and Wake Up Dead Man?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom