Sid Meier's Random Music Talk CIV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We were talking about Thin Lizzy in here the other day, so I've been listening to them a lot lately. Live and Dangerous is one of the best live albums I've heard. I waited until I had heard their "classic" albums so I could more easily notice differences in the live arrangements. Honestly though, it would be an awesome entry point.

What really surprised me was how fantastic Phil Lynott's voice sounds. I know there were overdubs and everything, but wow.

It's phenomenal.

I'd probably put it right under Jailbreak in terms of what TL I'd reach for most often.

Well shit. I may have to drive to new haven on thurs to see Say Anything and Saves the Day since they're both playing their best albums in their entirety (Reggie & the full effect is on the bill too, but I couldn't care less about them).

I take that back, Saves the Day is doing Through Being Cool, their 2nd best album.

Hey PFan, I started listening to Serial. It's really good. Sort of heartbreaking and dazzling at the same time.

Nice. There are nine episodes so far and apparently three left in this season so you should be caught up soon.

I also recently found out that Sarah Koenig lived around the corner from me when I was at college.

Nice. There are nine episodes so far and apparently three left in this season so you should be caught up soon.

I also recently found out that Sarah Koenig lived around the corner from me when I was at college.

Yeah, this is the kind of thing I'll binge listen to rather quickly, so it shouldn't be too long until I'm caught up. The tone of the narrative surprised me quite a bit. The story is so somber in itself that it allows Sarah Koenig to almost tell it in a lighthearted manner without sounding inappropriate. She has a good personality for this kind of thing (although at times her interjections feel a bit overcooked).

I wonder what they will do if there is a second season. You could have asked her had you still been at college.

I have no interest in joining your thread discussion (cue sigh of relief from the peanut gallery), but I just want to say that this thread gets my nomination for the 2014 Interferey Awards for Best Title.

:bow: Sid Meier :bow:

Just saw Future Islands open for St Vincent. That frontman is a riot. Really excellent show.

Yeah, this is the kind of thing I'll binge listen to rather quickly, so it shouldn't be too long until I'm caught up. The tone of the narrative surprised me quite a bit. The story is so somber in itself that it allows Sarah Koenig to almost tell it in a lighthearted manner without sounding inappropriate. She has a good personality for this kind of thing (although at times her interjections feel a bit overcooked).

I wonder what they will do if there is a second season. You could have asked her had you still been at college.
Yeah, she's well suited for the role. I guess my only objection to her would be that she seems continually surprised by the idea that people in the justice system would either be malicious or bad at their jobs, and even when it's pointed out to her by people, she goes nowhere with it. Which, I mean, I guess I understand that it doesn't have that much to do with the story as far as she's concerned since from her perspective it's all about the people she's talking to and she can't talk to anyone on the legal side of things, but it still seems odd to skip over such a major part of it.

A co-worker of mine today said that she had to assure her kids that it was ok for her to like "hard rock" like 3 Doors Down and Nickelback. "It's okay that I like Nickelback," she said. I had to tell her that, no it's not ok to like Nickelback because they're terrible. She seemed somewhat confused by that.

I was listening to Electric Youth's album, and I keep seeing all these comments like, "I love their song from Drive" and I'm thinking, 'what was their song in that movie?'. Then I got to it and I felt pretty dumb.

Still very, very slowly working through Iron Maiden's discography in chronological order and just got to Number of the Beast. I love this band.

Preach, brother!

I almost included one of the songs from Killers on my DI.

Would love to read some capsule reviews as you make your way.

Was lucky to see them on the Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son tours.

I knew the jump from Killers to Number would be significant (their earliest work was barely metal, closer to hard rock if anything), but despite my overall distaste for metal, it was an improvement overall.

Many metal vocalists rub me the wrong way once they hit their higher registers (after enjoying early Judas Priest, I found Painkiller insufferable largely due to Halford's ridiculous vocals), but something about Iron Maiden is so casual and fun that THE Bruce Dickinson's voice is perfect for them. Maiden doesn't take themselves as seriously as many metal bands from the era do and coupled with the short album lengths and unadulterated badass riffs, it reminded me of being a kid again and first discovering Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, etc. I can throw a Maiden album on any time and get a rush from it.

I knew the title track from Guitar Hero 3, so I figured it would be an instant favorite; it's the perfect melding of pomp and pop. Pretty obvious why it's arguably their best known song. Children of the Damned and Run to the Hills (awesome chorus) were other standouts. The only track I wasn't initially sold on was 22 Acacia Avenue, but once that song hit its instrumental sections, I enjoyed it well enough.

After a few years of being a Maiden fan, Killers (their most maligned by people I knew) became my favorite album. I still prefer Dickinson as a vocalist and songwriter (he didn't start contributing on the latter until Piece Of Mind), but that album has the punky, New Wave of British Heavy Metal sound with some added twists, plus the bonus of new guitarist Adrian Smith.

Sure, the first album has a few bona fide classics but I'll take Drifter, Twilight Zone, Murders In The Rue Morgue, Wrathchild, the title track, Innocent Exile and Prodigal Son over that collection. The guitar solos on the last two are among their best. And speaking of Prodigal Son, am I the only one who thinks it sounds exactly like early 70s The Who when it kicks in?

Based on what I've read, Killers is definitely underrated even if I prefer the debut marginally.

Back
Top Bottom