Shuttlecock XXV: Cool Hats Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Judging by the quality of this Pride remake, I think I'll just pick and choose songs I'm curious about. I don't need to hear a slightly different take on Boredinary Love.

I’ll check it out and probably buy a version of it, but not super enthusiastic about it based on the track listing.

If the 40 songs featured some deeper cuts, or b-sides/album tracks that they were never fully satisfied with, I’d be pretty keen. But these are mostly pretty well established and recognisable songs.

Larry’s disc is perhaps the one I’m most interested in based on the track listing.

I really quite like the bridge and ending to the Pride remake.

The prices are disgusting. I think I'll be streaming and just adding the versions I do like to my library.

Yep, and this band is in their early 60's. Good to see them celebrating their legacy instead of instead of embarrassing themselves by trying to appeal to the pop crowd.

This is exactly what they did on their last record, and exactly what they will do with Songs of Ascent, should it materialise.

another "songs of" album that's all remade older songs, packaged in some truly half-assed artwork. and all the talk about the next album after is yet another "songs of" album that they wrote a decade ago.

i hate to say it but all of this just screams "we're completely out of new ideas" to me. none of it excites me very much and i'm finding it so hard to stay interested in this band these days. it feels like the train is approaching the last stop. :sigh: i miss the days where a new U2 song releasing would be an automatic "sick" day, staying home listening to it on repeat and constantly refreshing interference. the day of the apple/SoI release was glorious.

anyway, $4 a pound.

^ I remember it well. Same goes for the HTDAAB leak, which I was almost about to head to bed and it happened.

It was a pretty wild ride around here from 2004 to I dunno when this place truely died off? Sometime around the end of SoI tour? I come more so to browse these days anyway.

another "songs of" album that's all remade older songs, packaged in some truly half-assed artwork. and all the talk about the next album after is yet another "songs of" album that they wrote a decade ago.

i hate to say it but all of this just screams "we're completely out of new ideas" to me. none of it excites me very much and i'm finding it so hard to stay interested in this band these days. it feels like the train is approaching the last stop. :sigh: i miss the days where a new U2 song releasing would be an automatic "sick" day, staying home listening to it on repeat and constantly refreshing interference. the day of the apple/SoI release was glorious.

anyway, $4 a pound.

Sir this isn’t new stuff. I feel like this is what would’ve otherwise been historically best of 80-90 / 90-2000 / U218.

Pride remake did impress me. Had enough twists and turns to be worthwhile, even if it may not be all that essential

Up until the bridge I thought it was boring as hell but it really picked up from that point.

We have to take what we can get these days... "part of the song is good!" :lol:

Grandpa doesn’t run as fast as he used to when he won his gold medal at the olympics in the 1980s.

Do we not still love him?

Grandpa doesn’t run as fast as he used to when he won his gold medal at the olympics in the 1980s.

Do we not still love him?

caitlyn-jenner_640x480_41440669181.jpg

13534348_1102746556449351_1100691204_n.jpg

Last edited:
Happy belated New Year to you folks.

My brief thoughts on the album, for the 0 people that care:

I'm not excited for it, per se, but, I definitely look forward to picking and choosing which reworked songs I'd like to hear. At this stage of their career they are pretty much out of ideas and inspiration but I suspect that a gem or two will emerge from all of this and that alone will make it worth it for me. If this project makes them happy or fulfilled, great, they don't owe me shit.

Anything they do that's new or "new" is just icing on a cake that's provided me with decades of enjoyment already.

I saw an earlier post on the topic of excitement surrounding U2 releases in the past and reading it reminded me of buying Aching Baby from a freaking Sam Goody's (RIP) that was next to where I worked retail while in college. I was so amped for that album's release, maybe more than I was amped when JT was released. I took that CD into my car in the Mall parking lot and listened to it then and there, front to back. I had only heard "The Fly" up until that point thanks to MTV/WLIR, so the rest of the album was a total surprise. I will never ever EVER forget hearing Zoo Station leading off on that album and me not knowing what the hell was going on, in the best possible way. It's not often for me when listening to an album for the first time is literally thrilling but that was a prime example. What an album.

I remember release days like that... and the days when I'd go to the record store.. listen right there at the store on a pair of big assed headphones connected to a 'listening station' or whatever it was called.. and then race home with my new vinyl to play it over and over again. For all of our nostalgia about how life was much simpler back in the day, it sure was a bit harder to listen to new music wasn't it?

We're so spoiled now..

:shrug:

I still remember the good ole days of pressing the play button about 3/4 of the way on my walkman to make everything sound like chipmunks!

I really like the understated, lower register vocals on the new Pride. A welcome departure from the dramatism of his recent vocal style.

It's really strange that it was allowed.

Even if you told each band member they could pick whichever era they wanted for their pic and the three just randomly chose Pop cause they rightfully think they looked bad ass during Pop, and Boner was like "actually I think they need the mullet from me"... ok, fine.

You can't pick three headshots with a white background and one with a black background. That's just bad design.

Unless it's intentional and Paul is dead.

Call me when they start releasing public live albums of their best tours. It's inexplicable to me that I can't send my friends a good live take from ZooTV on Spotify or something.

Larry/Adam/Edge: “Let’s grab some outtakes from the Pop photo sessions. Those are kinda fuck-off cool.”

Bono: “Nah, it needs to reference me book.”

Larry/Adam/Edge: “These also serve as an implicit nod to our adventurous 90s work before we play hi-tech shows around it.”

Bono: “Surrender is me book.”

Larry/Adam/Edge: “The dark background on your photo makes the whole thing look off. Perhaps you can find something more in line with the rest of the portraits?”

Bono: “Looks like me book. Surrender. This is Songs of Surrender, like a soundtrack to me book.”

Larry/Adam/Edge: “Don’t you at least want a photo with a better haircut?”

Bono: “Well, you see, the mullet represents innocence…”

Larry/Adam/Edge, to each other: “Fuck it, still better than his current look.”

Call me when they start releasing public live albums of their best tours. It's inexplicable to me that I can't send my friends a good live take from ZooTV on Spotify or something.

Sounds good but I don’t have your number.

Can we talk about how lazy the album cover is?

The book cover pic for Bono which is from the War/Uf era (?) and three stock photos from the Pop era for the other 3…. The fuck is that about?

It's really strange that it was allowed.

Even if you told each band member they could pick whichever era they wanted for their pic and the three just randomly chose Pop cause they rightfully think they looked bad ass during Pop, and Boner was like "actually I think they need the mullet from me"... ok, fine.

You can't pick three headshots with a white background and one with a black background. That's just bad design.

Unless it's intentional and Paul is dead.

More like Steve Overill, amirite??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom