Searching For Uncharacteristicly Cock-Rocking Leads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chill Mike D

War Child
The most "cock-rocking" Edge lead that normally gets mentioned is the one in the live version of Bullet the Blue Sky. I like that one, but are there any other leads like that one from live performances that stand out in that they're more of a guitar-rock kind of thing and not so much a standard Edge-sounding two-note lead?

True, those two are great, but are certainly definitive Edge-style leads. I'm thinking along the lines of something you'd expect Slash to belt out, and not necessarily the Edge.

but this is a tough question to ask. people are different. what rocks your cock doesn't have to rock our cock and vice versa.

Right, I just mean it in the standard sense of "rock-god guitar masturbation in front of tens of thousands of people", like the kind of thing you'd hear at a Guns N Roses or Led Zeppelin concert.

I know that one of the pillars of Edge's playing style is that he doesn't play that way, but the Bullet the Blue Sky live performances show that he certainly can and sometimes will bust out a fancy guitar-hero lead if he wants to.

Chill Mike D said:
I just mean it in the standard sense of "rock-god guitar masturbation in front of tens of thousands of people", like the kind of thing you'd hear at a Guns N Roses or Led Zeppelin concert.

You just won't get that from the Edge

Even the BTBS solo isn't Slash-esque. But that's as close as you'll get.

Ok, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if any of you folks knew about some random live show where he unexpectedly ripped one out on another song just because.

Chill Mike D said:
True, those two are great, but are certainly definitive Edge-style leads.

Chill Mike D said:
Right, I just mean it in the standard sense of "rock-god guitar masturbation in front of tens of thousands of people", like the kind of thing you'd hear at a Guns N Roses or Led Zeppelin concert.

I know that one of the pillars of Edge's playing style is that he doesn't play that way, but the Bullet the Blue Sky live performances show that he certainly can and sometimes will bust out a fancy guitar-hero lead if he wants to.

:eyebrow: By eliminating "Edge-style" that would eliminate Edge from being able to do it, wouldn't it? No matter what he does, it's still Edge.

love the solo at the middle and end of mysterious ways live, that rocks my umm ...well not cock..... and UTTEOTW and dirty day live also pretty cool.
not going to get slash / led zep style from the edge cos that is not what he does and im glad of it !

Allanah said:
Check out the very last Rotterdam show, 1/10/90. My favorite bootleg ever.

I think an even better example is the 27 September 1989, Sydney show where he does not just two but three solos in Desire.

I think the Desire solo from the Lovetown tour overrules the Bullet solo from Zoo TV.

The Desire solo is more shredding while the Bullet solo is just more bluesy.

Chill Mike D said:
The most "cock-rocking" Edge lead that normally gets mentioned is the one in the live version of Bullet the Blue Sky. I like that one, but are there any other leads like that one from live performances that stand out in that they're more of a guitar-rock kind of thing and not so much a standard Edge-sounding two-note lead?

Edge showed up on stage at a Wyclef Jean show to guest on a couple of songs ("With or Without You" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" I think). He had a really extended solo during WOWY -- very un-Edge-like, but fun to listen to.

And "Desire" studio. Live versions are fine, but you don't need to look that hard. Just go to track 3 on R&H. It's rather un-Edge from start to finish.

1) Street Mission
2) Lovetown extended Desire (check out the video footage if you can - I got it from U2 Torrents. Bono gets the cameraman right up onto the stage for a closeup of Edge's shredding.)
3) Not guitar heroics as such, but the soloing on Kite from the Aussie Vertigo shows is gorgeous.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom