Running to Stand Still

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was never a fan of the ZOOTV performances compared to JT and Lovetown. For some strange reason that Gameboy on his hip REALLY bugged me. :huh:

I'd say it's one of their 5 best songs.

Nick66 said:
"Elevation"
"Sunday Bloody Sunday"
"Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of"
"Angel of Harlem"
"Desire"
"Pride (In the Name of Love)"
"Bullet the Blue Sky"
"With or Without You"
"One"
"Walk On"

I could really do without hearing any of these songs at the next U2 show I see. They have a lot of other great songs that sound even better live these days, to these ears anyway.

It's kind of funny how much of the core Elevation setlist is still kicking around a decade later.

For me, the DVD is a bunch of fantastic performances of a decent but boring setlist in an amazing setting, kind of like the bootleg of the first Milano show on the 360 Tour.

I'm not religious, but the hallelujahs at the end of the ZooTV version really make me happy. Such an incredible ending to an incredible song.

Dude.

The character Bono is playing is singing that in a drug-induced euphoria.

It's depressing as shit.

I'd very much recommend the Rotterdam, January 6th 1990 version of this song. Beautiful version with some extra verses thrown in.

And yeah, Slane setlist was a snore fest. Luckily the performance makes up for it.

LemonMelon said:
Dude.

The character Bono is playing is singing that in a drug-induced euphoria.

It's depressing as shit.

You don't have to interpret it that way...

Ehh, actually, I guess you do.

digitize said:
You don't have to interpret it that way...

Ehh, actually, I guess you do.

Yeah, there's literally no other way to interpret it. It's depressing, but at the same time it makes me smile - "if you don't like the world you're living in, see it through different eyes. Heroin gives you heroin eyes to see the world through."

I wrote a short story based on that premise.

On the 'boring' issue. It's an age old question really isn't it. Who are the gigs for: the people, like me (I was at the first Slane gig - amazing. I remembered only today that the support was Red Hot Chili Peppers and Coldplay!) and most others, who see only one gig, maybe two max, and probably only in their home country? Or those who follow the band around the world / follow set lists with a magnifying glass on the web? The answer is almost certainly the former, making it difficult for it to be 'boring' in the eyes of the person who only sees them once and has no idea what the set list is going to be. It's the performance that counts most, and that comes with a good setlist choice that meets what the audience want to hear as well as what gives the band energy. As a die-hard U2 fan, I'd much rather they played Pride for the umpteenth time at a gig I'm at than Your Blue Room if it meant that the crowd's energy was sustained.

yeah, it's very uncool for people my age to like U2. I turned 25 in April. I don't really care what people think.

Back
Top Bottom