*Rumor* - Larry to retire after E+I tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why are you and Sting claiming that tickets for the rescheduled dates were non-refundable?

Of course once the dates were postponed the tickets were refundable at point of purchase:

U2 > News > North American Tour: 2011 Rescheduled Dates
What if Sting is using an alter to provide backup support to his other alter's arguments?

giphy.gif

Posted by vibe in another thread about a month ago...

Every show, on 360, had at at least 10,000 tickets at the $275 price which adjusted for inflation is the same as the $330 ticket price being charged on the Experience And Innocence Tour for 2018. In addition, the Songs Of Innocence Tour had lots of cheaper tickets as well, but they were not selling. Tickets with good views of the stage at around $100 dollars remain un-purchased for many shows until the day of the show.

Plus, even when you compare Songs Of Innocence with say the Vertigo Tour or even the Elevation tour, you can see it was far weaker. Demand to see the band live shrunk from the highs of the 360 tour back to the lows of the Popmart tour.

The 360 tour did well, because the album it was supporting actually did decently on the charts and the previous two albums were mega and the number of shows on the previous tour did not come close to meeting demand. Those factors combined all contributed to it being their biggest tour.

Every show, on 360, had at at least 10,000 tickets at the $275 price which adjusted for inflation is the same as the $330 ticket price being charged on the Experience And Innocence Tour for 2018.

adjusted for inflation.

adjusted for inflation.

giphy.gif

That's two Sting alters! Which, when adjusted for inflation, is actually 3 Sting alters.

Last edited:
Why are you and Sting claiming that tickets for the rescheduled dates were non-refundable?

Of course once the dates were postponed the tickets were refundable at point of purchase:

U2 > News > North American Tour: 2011 Rescheduled Dates

But, less than 10% of ticket buyers according to Billboard.com took that option. Bono mentioned from the stage how amazed he was that nearly everyone held on to their tickets for another year.

So then the point remains, that the initial purchase for the vast majority of these tickets was made in late 2009 for reasons based on either the 2009 setlist or other reasons during 2009. No one at that time knew that U2 were not going to play these shows until 2011 and open the shows playing a bunch of songs from Achtung Baby. Even at the time when refunds became an option in 2010, there was no reason to suspect that the setlist would be any different. Another U2 album had not come out and it was still the same tour that was going into its 2nd leg in Europe and would then be making its first stops in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and South America.

Last edited:
I bought tickets for the East Lansing show in late 2009, under the impression U2 would have a new album out by summer 2010. (HA!) I then bought tickets for the later added Pittsburgh show in late 2010/early 2011, thinking there would be a new album by summer 2011 (HA!). Said new album didn't come out until September of 2014... no additional songs were added due to inflation.

I bought tickets for the East Lansing show in late 2009, under the impression U2 would have a new album out by summer 2010. (HA!) I then bought tickets for the later added Pittsburgh show in late 2010/early 2011, thinking there would be a new album by summer 2011 (HA!). Said new album didn't come out until September of 2014... no additional songs were added due to inflation.

Right again... I think many of us had the impression there could be another album out by the time the scheduled 2010 shows came. Songs of Ascent was already being talked about as a possible follow-up for some time. Then we knew they were writing new stuff during 2010 with the North American shows being delayed and such, and I don't think we knew for sure that there wouldn't be a new album until 2011 itself.

And that was just those of us that were paying close attention to the band.

IIRC, we were still under the impression there would be a new album in the first half of 2011 until sometime in early 2011. There was even talk of another European leg in the late summer of 2011, with 3 shows being rumored for the new Aviva stadium in Dublin. No new album kinda killed that.

way late, but...

I am kind of blown away at the idea that Larry wouldn't be missed from a drumming point of view (early thread). His drum style is signature like EVH guitar tone...his use of snare rolls and added beats during the build up of a song are as big a part of the soft/fast dynamic of much of their work as any part of the band. He is one of the few drummers that writes drum riffs, IMO.

As for this tour...I like this album more than any since pre 2000 (I am not going to pretend I was always on board with POP...only in recent years). So I am really happy to be catching them both one night with my wife then my 17 year old daughter who loves this album as well in Vegas. SOI was a much tougher buy in for me, for whatever reason, and 360 was spectacular but also a bit cold in UOP Stadium in Glendale, AZ, at least from my seats with a huge gap on the floor in front of me. JT30 (Rose Bowl, Glendale, SD) was awesome, and I love this album, so I am back in with heart. And my inflation (moving from working at home to the office has inflated me at a great deal greater rate than U2 tickets the last 18 months)

Right again... I think many of us had the impression there could be another album out by the time the scheduled 2010 shows came. Songs of Ascent was already being talked about as a possible follow-up for some time. Then we knew they were writing new stuff during 2010 with the North American shows being delayed and such, and I don't think we knew for sure that there wouldn't be a new album until 2011 itself.

And that was just those of us that were paying close attention to the band.

You being under the impression that there is a new album coming is one thing. Were talking about the U2 audience at large though. U2 have not released a new album in the year after the previous one since 1987/1988. I suppose you could sort of count Zooropa though since it was released during the tour for Achtung Baby.

The vast majority of U2 fans were not expecting a new U2 album in 2010 when they purchased tickets in late 2009 for the second leg. There is nothing in the tour announcement for the 2nd North American leg that mentions anything about another album. So the point still stands that most people are purchasing their tickets in 2009 based on the new album, setlist, or other things in 2009. Most of them are not purchasing tickets in expection of a sudden new U2 album in 2010 or a trip down memory lane with more Achtung Baby songs than usual.

Its been at least a 3 to 5.5 year wait in between U2 albums since Zooropa was released. Plus the only people who know about the rumors of a new U2 album are the hardcore fans that typically go see every tour regardless.

Yeah, let's not forget all the shows added to the 2011 leg in late 2010 (or, in the case of Moncton, January 2011).

Of 25 shows, the following were all added after the tour was rescheduled:

Mexico City x3
Winnipeg
Baltimore
Nashville
St Louis
Pittsburgh
Moncton

That's nine shows, over a third of the tour. And it's also worth noting that Salt Lake City was not added to the schedule until 2010, but before the postponement.

(Adjusted for inflation, these ten shows do, in fact, equate to all 25 shows played on that leg.)

You really have to wonder what would compel a guy to keep coming back to a place that kicks him out when it inevitably becomes clear who he is.

I guess Sting just REALLY loves arguing stats.

I am a Stinger who's probably gonna Sting again
Bitch, don't kill my Vibe

To be honest, SOE really does sound like a final album to me, so I also would be happy for them to call it quits. SOE is pretty solid.

I don't understand why people say things like this when they like the album. Why would you be happy for them to quit? If they make a good album, I hope they make more, not give it up. This attitude of "good job, now stop before you screw up" is baffling to me.

Larry can retire from touring but hopefully get in the studio to crank out more albums.

I'd hate the see the band devolve like REM did after their drummer bailed.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people say things like this when they like the album. Why would you be happy for them to quit? If they make a good album, I hope they make more, not give it up. This attitude of "good job, now stop before you screw up" is baffling to me.

I think you just kinda have to know Andrew, this is pretty positive for him. He once actually got to see a unicorn in real life and turned to his mom, sulked and said, “I wish her horn was a little longer”.

Actually, when adjusted for inflation, they should be even more. I used this Irish inflation calculator to compare September 1976, when U2 formed, with December 2017, the most recent month with which the site permits comparison.

And a U2 in September 1976 is now worth a U11.66.

...or if you want to go by when they changed to their current name, a U2 in March 1978 is now worth a U9.96.

Larry is approaching 60 and his drumming style requires so much physical effort, so it wouldn't surprise me if he retires soon. Bono has mentioned in recent interviews that he still wants u2 to make a few more records, so I think they will carry on even if Larry calls it a day.

Larry definitely has a signature drumming technique that is as unique to U2's sound as the rest of the members. I am a guitarist and bassist, but have played with enough drummers to understand different techniques. Larry has learned to adopt his drumming style to a method that is not so hard on his body. He talks about this a lot in the Zoo TV book U2 at the end of the world. He doesn't hit his drums very hard like a lot of drummers. He doesn't ride the high-hat like a lot of drummers. At least, not anymore. He's adopted a "work smarter, not harder" approach to drumming.

Actually, when adjusted for inflation, they should be even more. I used this Irish inflation calculator to compare September 1976, when U2 formed, with December 2017, the most recent month with which the site permits comparison.

And a U2 in September 1976 is now worth a U11.66.

...or if you want to go by when they changed to their current name, a U2 in March 1978 is now worth a U9.96.
I used the American inflation calculator, because that's all U2 care about

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom