Rose Bowl Show to be filmed for DVD + Webcast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont understand the negativity people have with this DVD, apart from the sound from a live stream being crap. The band played infront of 96,000 fans who went wild when we thought they wouldnt, the claw looked beautiful in that particular venue, and the band gave the most energetic performance of the tour so far, and you think its the worst show so far. Thats insane.
Exactly! But in my opinion it's the same in all other U2 fan forums, it's no special 'blue problem'. ;-). Same with other bands. This is the reason why I prefer to TALK to people in real life about U2 than posting in internet boards. It's strange but it seems to be easier to write something negative than to speak it out loud.

On topic: I'm thrilled about the webcast and have it on constant repeat so to speak. The feeling when I was connecting to u2ube at 5 am, half asleep, seeing Bono and knowing that this was happening at exactly the same moment thousands of kilometres away... awesome!

just finished watchin the show (i missed the webcast cuz of work :sad:)

first of all, i thought the performance was great! all the band members were more than good, and i'm glad that Bono in particular sang so well (i had this fear for some reason that he'd fuck up big time :wink:)

the sound was pretty bad at times (what the fuck was up with that echo :huh:), but that will obviously be fixed for the DVD

the biggest disappointment for me were the camera shots during most of the show....completely failed to capture the awesomeness of the claw. there should have been a lot more shots from afar! maybe we'll get some better camera angles in the DVD......

all in all, i don't understand why so many people are being so negative about this show, because the main thing is the band's performance.......and it sounded pretty darn good to my ears! :up:

btw were the lights on the claw working properly?? because it seemed like half the bulbs in there were fried or somethin........in all the fan videos i've seen so far the claw looks so vibrant when fully lit up (during TUF, city of blinding lights, crazy tonight etc.). but it looked rather dull here (and i'm not talking about the screen, i'm talking about the lighting on the structure itself)

oh that's sweet... Mr B just mentioned Stephen Gately during The Unforgettable Fire... just listening now... that was special... :hug:

btw were the lights on the claw working properly?? because it seemed like half the bulbs in there were fried or somethin........in all the fan videos i've seen so far the claw looks so vibrant when fully lit up (during TUF, city of blinding lights, crazy tonight etc.). but it looked rather dull here (and i'm not talking about the screen, i'm talking about the lighting on the structure itself)

Yeah, I noticed that, too. It looked so dark. That video just doesn't do the Claw justice :sad:

Sound issues or no sound issues, Bono slipped in judgement a bit by taking that run around the ramp to open COBL. It was a simple mistake, he was hyped and got a bit crazy. I don't think he's done that on other shows, has he, and he suffered for it if not for the rest of the show, the next few songs. Take a listen to COBL, it's probably his worst performance of the song ever, imo.

he likes to run :shrug: I personally never think that COBL sounds that hot live, but I realize I’m in the minority with that opinion… I'm assuming they skipped the usual "pull the kid up on stage" shtick due to legal issues for the filming...

I think with all the sound issues and camera angles, it comes back to recording the 1 show. If we had 2 nights at rose bowl, the mix team could sort out the sound, and bono would know not to run around the circle. Guess its the chance you take tho.

he likes to run :shrug: I personally never think that COBL sounds that hot live, but I realize I’m in the minority with that opinion… I'm assuming they skipped the usual "pull the kid up on stage" shtick due to legal issues for the filming...

Actually I agree with you...he is usually challenged by the last four "you look so beautiful tonight"s anyways, but this is especially brutal imo lol

Anyone else notice bono going for that slane type streets intro. Shame he didnt get it full on, as we all know his voice is alot better now.

I can't wait for the DVD to come out! It will look 1000 times better than the stream....
So dark and the echo sucked, but I think there are tons of shots that we didn't get on the live feed that will be enhanced on the DVD! Like close ups of the crowd and the band. It was missing the emotional human element a little I thought on the feed because of the dark, long shots and Bono having the search for a spot light.

I hope it's out before Christmas. Knowing U2, they will make sure it drops before the Holidays. Right? It shouldn't take that long to produce should it?

I can't wait for the DVD to come out! It will look 1000 times better than the stream....
So dark and the echo sucked, but I think there are tons of shots that we didn't get on the live feed that will be enhanced on the DVD! Like close ups of the crowd and the band. It was missing the emotional human element a little I thought on the feed because of the dark, long shots and Bono having the search for a spot light.

I hope it's out before Christmas. Knowing U2, they will make sure it drops before the Holidays. Right? It shouldn't take that long to produce should it?

Thats what ive been thinking, the show from looking at the stream already has so so much potential to be an amazing DVD. All it needs in the audio tweaked, more pro camera angles and it will be perfect.

there were some awful camera shots and zoom/panning effects that didn't quite work. plus, they didnt focus on the entire stage during the opening sequence of Streets. But they have 2 hours of footage for every single camera, so what we saw live will not be what is going to be on the Blu-ray (and DVD).

secondly, they will shorten the time between Walk On and Tutu, it felt awfully long watching that live.

Can't wait to read what Willie has to say in his diary...

They will NEVER release the stream as DVD. Sound sucked, awful audio, too dark, strange camera angles, sometimes even amateurish, and so on. In the end, I'm sure we'll have a great concert DVD.

i'm really surprised there's such an uproar about the stream. i found it quite enjoyable. then again, look at my avatar.

Sound issues or no sound issues, Bono slipped in judgement a bit by taking that run around the ramp to open COBL. It was a simple mistake, he was hyped and got a bit crazy. I don't think he's done that on other shows, has he, and he suffered for it if not for the rest of the show, the next few songs. Take a listen to COBL, it's probably his worst performance of the song ever, imo.

He's been running for most of the shows on this leg of the tour, sometimes with a kid he pulls from the audience, sometimes alone. He's been doing the lap around the stage for many shows, even in Europe, when they started to have the long catwalk that was closed and led all around the stage. He may have overdone it a bit this time because he was running so fast, obviously being on adrenaline and hyped at all, and it clearly showed in the beginning of COBL, but it wasn't like he ruined the whole song. He's a singer, he knows how to handle breathing, and I didn't think it took him very long to regain his breath. I had to smile, I didn't think of it as something dramatic.

They will NEVER release the stream as DVD. Sound sucked, awful audio, too dark, strange camera angles, sometimes even amateurish, and so on. In the end, I'm sure we'll have a great concert DVD.

honestly? no shit.

the stream is an undedited, unmastered, uncut live take. of course it will be edited. why is that even a topic of discussion? listen to the bootleg's ripped from the ZooTV and PopMart broadcasts and then listen to the DVD rips. hello? mcfly?

Watched the full show last night. Lots of wide shots, I guess the DVD will have more band close ups (this is not the final cam mix right?) and some stuff edited (like the early SBS start). Hopefully less echo. Bono sounded worse on that un-official Breathe Youtube video, sounds better than the show I watched and the official videos off this decade. Still Slane will likely remain the best DVD of this era. I guess there is less of the wow factor as I did see a show this tour compared to previous DVDs.

Surprised to see NLOTH so late in the set, and no Your blue room (instead of In a little while) and well done U2 for UTEOTW, and something instead of Elevation could have been played for more energy. Too bad they cut the BD intro, that was awesome. Same goes for Ultraviolet intro. The lap didn't affect other songs, except COBL, also he did faster laps in 2001 and it didn't affect the songs back then either.

why cant bono shut the fuck up during the last minute of MOS? that's one of my favorite musical moments on the album and him mumbling and shouting a bunch of nonsense completely ruins it for me.

but i am happy he can keep quiet during UC, which is amazing itself :ohmy:

the shots were MUCH better than the .5 second average shots on the chicago DVD.

Lots of wide shots.

the shots were MUCH better than the .5 second average shots on the chicago DVD.

:yes:

I'm hoping for a lot more wide shots in the finished product but it was refreshing that the majority of it was longer cuts and they held them a lot longer than the Hamish/OCD rapid cut job we got with the Elevation and Vertigo DVDs...

Back
Top Bottom