Rose Bowl Show to be filmed for DVD + Webcast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was born and raised in LA, and have always been ashamed of how poor the energy is at all LA shows. I hope we can change our image and really bring it on Sunday night.

Me, too, and was thinking the same thing. Since it's the only California concert, though, there will undoubtedly be a lot of outsiders coming. I'll be coming from the Bay Area (where I've lived the past 13 years) and there's usually a much better vibe at those concerts. Oakland 1 last tour was rockin' and I have to imagine there will be loads of Bay Area folk making the trek down.

Let's hope so, at least!

Me, too, and was thinking the same thing. Since it's the only California concert, though, there will undoubtedly be a lot of outsiders coming. I'll be coming from the Bay Area (where I've lived the past 13 years) and there's usually a much better vibe at those concerts. Oakland 1 last tour was rockin' and I have to imagine there will be loads of Bay Area folk making the trek down.

Let's hope so, at least!

don't forget about Vegas! :hyper:

I think I'll compare every U2 concert film to U23D, so yes, I am worried about the crowd coming across lame. I hope they won't, though. The audience is just as important in a concert DVD as the band performance. Unless you want only closeups of Bono's mouth (Chicago, anyone?). Nothing against these closeups at all, but I want to see a great audience to show U2 is still able to make people jump and dance.

The broadcast starts at 5.30 here, I don't know if I'll watch, but Monday is a holiday here so I might as well get up.

Is it true that only selected countries can watch? :huh: I thought "all over the world" means it will be available everywhere. Man, that would suck.

Is it true that only selected countries can watch? :huh: I thought "all over the world" means it will be available everywhere. Man, that would suck.
given this kind of thing was pretty much unthinkable five years ago, i think it's pretty good. i'd prefer it if they hadn't phrased it that way, but i think the countries they mentioned are the only ones on earth with electricity so it's all good.

I think I'll compare every U2 concert film to U23D, so yes, I am worried about the crowd coming across lame. I hope they won't, though. The audience is just as important in a concert DVD as the band performance. Unless you want only closeups of Bono's mouth (Chicago, anyone?). Nothing against these closeups at all, but I want to see a great audience to show U2 is still able to make people jump and dance.

Well said, last unicorn! :up:

Yeah, Portugal doesn't have electricity... :huh:

I'm writing this on a stone, no? :doh:

Do the Lisbon crowds get sick of Stuck, Stay, and Yahweh? Or are they just happy to get a gig at all?

It's Youtube, is it even possible to block certain countries? If so that would truly suck...

Well, I can't see some videos because it says I'm not from the UK, so they probably can.

Well, bummer. They say it will be archived. Probably then I will be able to see it. If not, I'm sure someone will edit it and put it on torrents or something like that :lol:

I'm not worried. I just think it sucks.

Edit: I could use a proxy but it would be slow :huh:

I barely pay any attention to the crowd on the concert DVDs. :shh:

I guess I'm weird but I don't want to see the audience at all when I'm watching concert footage. I never have wanted to see the audience -- I want to watch the band. I don't mind hearing applause and such, but I want the cameras to capture what happens on the stage, not in the crowd.

Do the Lisbon crowds get sick of Stuck, Stay, and Yahweh? Or are they just happy to get a gig at all?

It's Youtube, is it even possible to block certain countries? If so that would truly suck...

It's easily possible. A proxy is the only option for someone not in The Chosen Countries™, but it would be slow as hell and probably wouldn't work well for a live broadcast.

Well, I can't see some videos because it says I'm not from the UK, so they probably can.

Well, bummer. They say it will be archived. Probably then I will be able to see it. If not, I'm sure someone will edit it and put it on torrents or something like that :lol:

I'm not worried. I just think it sucks.

Edit: I could use a proxy but it would be slow :huh:

Definitely sucks. Though honestly do you want to be up at ~5AM for it anyway? It will surely be available somewhere...I wonder if it will be like the old Notre Dame webcast where you could switch angles?

I guess I'm weird but I don't want to see the audience at all when I'm watching concert footage. I never have wanted to see the audience -- I want to watch the band. I don't mind hearing applause and such, but I want the cameras to capture what happens on the stage, not in the crowd.

I agree. I like seeing crowd shots between songs, maybe the odd shot of somebody going crazy, or some signs etc, but otherwise I'd much rather see what somebody in the band is doing, or in fact any single angle for more than 5 seconds (with Hamish gone it's possible). I actually like how R&H was shot, when they'd shoot the band from different angles (the sides etc) so you'd see them, and the crowd in the background...that was cool.

to those mad about the whole America thing, i wouldn't be surprised if they film a 2nd one next year in somewhere other than America. so shut up bitches.

this... I think its a given that considering there is a good chance a new album will be released mid tour + the changing landscape of the music industry that there will be at least one more DVD filmed at some point and I'm thinking Europe has the best chance.

Exactly. After South American crowds, no other really compares.

96,000+ people at the Rose Bowl should be able to make some noise though, even if only a third or half of them are rabid fans.

Mark

Definitely sucks. Though honestly do you want to be up at ~5AM for it anyway? It will surely be available somewhere...

Well, I won't be because I've to go to work the next day :lol: but I know for sure some crazy people will be doing that.

I was just refering to the fact it 'll only be available in some countrys.

I'll be waiting for some MP4 version :drool:

Yes, it's only selected countries:
U2 to Play Free Concert on YouTube | Epicenter | Wired.com
You can watch the live event at YouTube.com/U2 starting at 8:30 p.m. PT on Sunday, October 25, if you are in any of the following countries: the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Canada, Italy, Spain, Japan, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Mexico, India, Israel, South Korea and the Netherlands.

The reason why it's not available everywhere in the world is due to rights (as explained in that article on Wired).

P.S. I think this weekend Daylight Savings Time ends in Europe. So 8:30 PT is not 5:30 CET, but 4:30 CET! :crack:

Maybe it has a reason why people in some countries are able and others are not able to see the live stream?

Australia, Brazil, India, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, South Korea, U.S., Canada: all markets were possible/rumoured future concerts are not announced yet. A teaser to stimulate ticket sales?

Ireland/U.K./Netherlands: a compensation for the fact they will not get more concerts, while being big U2 markets? giving more people the possibility to watch/listen a U2 concert

A lot of countries were the stream is not available have announced concerts. For example the "poor selling" German shows may suffer more if the whole nation is able to see the concert already online. Furthermore, people who already did buy tickets may think it is unfair others can see it for free....

Hmm just a theory..... which doesn't explain why Spain/France get teh live stream too...

Yes, it's only selected countries:
U2 to Play Free Concert on YouTube | Epicenter | Wired.com

The reason why it's not available everywhere in the world is due to rights (as explained in that article on Wired).

P.S. I think this weekend Daylight Savings Time ends in Europe. So 8:30 PT is not 5:30 CET, but 4:30 CET! :crack:

ah ok! Then I was just thinking too much :doh:

very smart of them to include a button "buy album now" and "donate to (RED)" I'm wondering what teh effect of the stream will be on album sales and RED donations...

We won't get to see this live feed here in Finland either but doesn't really matter, so long as we get to see it later! :shrug: I probably wouldn't be up at that time of night anyways, or is it early morning!! :wink:

Just for the record, am happy about the webcast...but i am hacked off about yet another official recording being filmed in The Americas. Europe has had ONE proper DVD in 30 yrs! :down:

Maybe it has a reason why people in some countries are able and others are not able to see the live stream?

Australia, Brazil, India, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, South Korea, U.S., Canada: all markets were possible/rumoured future concerts are not announced yet. A teaser to stimulate ticket sales?

Ireland/U.K./Netherlands: a compensation for the fact they will not get more concerts, while being big U2 markets? giving more people the possibility to watch/listen a U2 concert

A lot of countries were the stream is not available have announced concerts. For example the "poor selling" German shows may suffer more if the whole nation is able to see the concert already online. Furthermore, people who already did buy tickets may think it is unfair others can see it for free....

Hmm just a theory..... which doesn't explain why Spain/France get teh live stream too...

Nah, it's simply a list of countries where Youtube have an a performing rights agreement to license music as a block. Therefore U2 can snippet anything they want without prior agreement, the block agreement will cover Youtube from claims.

Youtube Germany is currently brokering an agreement so aren't covered.

96,000+ people at the Rose Bowl should be able to make some noise though, even if only a third or half of them are rabid fans.

Mark

And the visuals will be hard to match anywhere - basically 100k people in a low, flat stadium - a sea of people.

Just got an email update from atu2.com

[atu2] UPDATE: U2 live concert stream Sunday night

We've posted two updates to the earlier story about the live concert
streaming on Sunday night.

Update: The LA Times reports that the concert will be archived on
YouTube for viewing after the live stream, and that there will be ads
on the archived version -- possibly on the live stream, too.

Update #2: According to the YouTube blog, the live stream will be
available in 16 countries: Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, India,
Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, South
Korea, Spain, U.K., U.S. Also, there'll be a live Twitter chat widget
embedded next to the video stream. And if you miss the live stream,
YouTube says the archived concert will be available sometime on Monday.

U2's Rose Bowl Concert to be Filmed, Streamed Online

Back
Top Bottom