Review: Bazan Brings It To Nashville*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anu

Editor
Staff member
There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you
[SIMG] http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee136/anuransol/bazan-sml.jpg [/SIMG]

By Landin King

Since the formation of Pedro the Lion in 1995, David Bazan has been an influential member of the “indie-rock” musical community. Even though Pedro disbanded in 2006, the band developed a huge fan base throughout their 11-year run. On a Monday night in November, his solo tour brought him back to Nashville.

According to Jim Fairchild of opening act All Smiles: “There’s no radder place to be than chilling with Mr. Bazan in a mini van and playing tunes with him all night.”

As a side project, Bazan released a self-titled electronic album under the name Headphones in 2005. Then in 2006, Bazan released Fewer Moving Parts, an EP featuring five all new songs recorded acoustic as well as with a full band. Since then, Bazan has been touring playing music from each of his different music projects.

So, on a Monday at the Exit/In, Bazan strolled on stage as humble as the day he began, taking out an off white Fender Telecaster and doing what he knows best. Kicking off his 90 minute set with two brand new tracks, Bazan revealed again his creative genius in songwriting.

With “Cold Beer and Cigarettes” (from the Fewer Moving Parts EP) and “Transcontinental” from Achilles Heel, he got his Nashville crowd singing. Known for making conversation throughout live performances, Bazan took a second to ask if anyone had any questions. “I’m just glad your still writing music!” is the only response. Bazan smiled, quietly thanked the fan, and delivered another brand new track.

bazan.jpg

Photo by Landin King

The show’s main turnout included people who were already very familiar with Bazan and his music. Therefore, instead of asking questions about his material, people would throw out random opinion questions. Someone asked if Bazan was planning on voting in the upcoming election. He replied, “If there is an election I will vote in it,” but went on to say, “I honestly don’t think there will be an election. I think we will get attacked again and the entire thing will be postponed.” Regardless of whether or not he was joking, everyone seemed entertained by such a bold statement.

Next, Bazan played his EP’s title track “Fewer Moving Parts,” a song dealing with reasons for Pedro the Lion breaking up. Following a story about Bazan’s wife begging him not to drink on his previous tour, Bazan played new track “Please Baby Please,” which is based on a story that took place here in Nashville, Tennessee.

While it may be obvious that fans are excited about new material coming out, what really brought out the smiles were the tracks that everyone could sing along too. Each classic Bazan tune seemed to have the crowd more captivated with the show.

Recent tours have featured Bazan sitting alone on stage playing his music with only an acoustic guitar. One devoted listener even went as far as to ask why Bazan had swapped to playing the electric. Here again, Bazan’s dry humor was showcased as he answered, “Somehow electric guitar just seemed cooler.”

With Bazan sporting his forever-famous beard, someone asked if he was participating in “No shave November.” Bazan pondered that for a moment in an attempt to be witty and replied, “I’m actually participating in the no shave 21st-century.”

Bazan referred to his most of his music as “Back handed love songs” and was the first to say “My opinion doesn’t mean shit.” Regardless, he still writes all the time and expects to have another solo release sometime in mid 2008. He has also signed on to do another Headphones album, which listeners can expect in early 2009.

Bazan introduced the 15th song in his set as one he didn’t write but will be releasing on his upcoming album. Covering Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah, he incorporated a few of his own lyrics. The quiet crowd seemed, as always, sad to see the set end. But Bazan was nice enough to end the night drinking a few beers and hanging out with fans at the bar.

Back
Top Bottom