Release Date Speculation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was born 20 minutes outside the city. If you think the lyrics to NY are better than The Unforgettable Fire or All I Want is You.... well, I have no reply... that's crazy talk! :O

I did't say they were better than those tunes. I said they were some of his best.

He nails the city. And yes, I've lived there.

I did't say they were better than those tunes. I said they were some of his best.

He nails the city. And yes, I've lived there.

So, when you say "some of his best" is it in the top 10? Top 20? Top 50?

I'd have an easy time finding 50 U2 songs with better lyrics and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you would too.

Did he describe the city accurately? Sure. That's not all poetry demands. I find the lyrics cringe-worthy.

I'd have to listen to it again.

If you want to say Walk On or Kite are rockers... well, they're softer than the ballads on POP or HTDAAB. I think the bar is going pretty low at that point...

you don't think ballads can be rock songs?

what do "bars" have to do with anything?

and you didn't answer my question.

So, when you say "some of his best" is it in the top 10? Top 20? Top 50?

I'd have an easy time finding 50 U2 songs with better lyrics and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you would too.

Did he describe the city accurately? Sure. That's not all poetry demands. I find the lyrics cringe-worthy.

Top 20.

I'd say he describes the city in summer pretty well. But that's not all he's doing. And rock lyrics aren't poetry. They're rock lyrics.

Please is a lot louder and heavier than Walk On IMO.

This is where your bias takes over...

Listen to those two songs again back to back. Regardless of your like or dislike of either song, describing Please as a "rocker" and Walk On as a ballad is just mind blowing.

New York along with Miami are two songs that could have been some of U2's best but fail miserably due to the lyrics.

Musically they are both great, but Bono let both of these songs down.

In New York summers get hot well into the hundreds
You can walk around the block without a change of clothing
Hot as a hair dryer in your face
Hot as handbag and a can of mace

Love the movies... love to walk those movie sets
Get to shoot someone in the foot
Get to smoke some cigarettes
No big deal we know the score
Just back from the video store
Got the car and the car chase
What's he got inside the case
I want a close up of that face
Here comes the car chase

Some of Bono's worse.

This is where your bias takes over...

Listen to those two songs again back to back. Regardless of your like or dislike of either song, describing Please as a "rocker" and Walk On as a ballad is just mind blowing.

I would say Please is on the softer side of what I would count, but if someone wanted to disqualify it I wouldn't argue that hard. Walk On is pretty soft. In my opinion softer than Please, but neither of them is exactly Exit!

P.S. Walk On sucks! ;)

New York along with Miami are two songs that could have been some of U2's best but fail miserably due to the lyrics.

Musically they are both great, but Bono let both of these songs down.

Some of Bono's worse.

I thought Miami was at least funny and worked for what it was, but when it came to New York, Bono thought he could repeat that style, and the joke just wasn't funny anymore.

U2 have a wide tent. People with WILDLY different taste all like 'em. Sounds like you and I have wildly different taste in lyrics.

You're saying that you honestly think New York has better lyrics than all songs Bono has ever written, save a maximum of 19? I honestly don't believe you. If you had to think about it, I'm sure you could think of at least 20 U2 songs with better lyrics. If you can't - you and I just have to part ways on this.

For starters, how about the 23 songs on The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby? You think there are at least 4 of them lyrically inferior to New York? Ooookay....

U2 have a wide tent. People with WILDLY different taste all like 'em. Sounds like you and I have wildly different taste in lyrics.

You're saying that you honestly think New York has better lyrics than all songs Bono has ever written, save a maximum of 19? I honestly don't believe you. If you had to think about it, I'm sure you could think of at least 20 U2 songs with better lyrics. If you can't - you and I just have to part ways on this.

For starters, how about the 23 songs on The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby? You think there are at least 4 of them lyrically inferior to New York? Ooookay....

Wait, you don't agree with me, so I'm lying? What a strange thought.

Maybe you're lying. Can't think of a logical reason why, but turnabout is
always fair play.

Also, I'm very familiar with the entirety of U2's catalog.

Wait, you don't agree with me, so I'm lying? What a strange thought.

Maybe you're lying. Can't think of a logical reason why, but turnabout is
always fair play.

Also, I'm very familiar with the entirety of U2's catalog.

So which songs on The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby would you list as having lyrics NOT as strong as New York? (And unless you think all 19 of the other top 20 are on those 2 albums, I assume you'll be calling out more than 4?)

The guy thinks Bono's hair is the secret to U2's success. Why respond?

U2 have a higher success rate when Bono had long hair. THAT is not a secret, that is a fact.

Give me the example of U2's success rate when Bono looks like Mork.

0%

Image is a part of being in the top 40, that's just a fact.

Identifying a funny coincidental correlation between Bono's hair length and album sales is one thing.

Having an earnest discussion about Bono's hair length as it relates to sales and being concerned that the band will continue to be a commercial failure if Bono's hair remains short is quite another.

Also, we all know that Bono looks exactly like Robin Williams, so he ALWAYS looks like Mork! That's a trick question.

And, finally, at the risk of venturing into "earnest discussion about hair and sales" territory, if image is so important for U2's album sales, then they walk a fine line between thinking that long hair will equate to better sales vs long hair meaning fewer sales because he could look like he's trying too hard for a man of 52 ... or 58 by the time an album comes out.

Back
Top Bottom