(Red) Auction in NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BONOFUCKINGSMILINGATME.jpg

one of my pictures ^ Bono smiling at me

Liesje said:

Maybe that's Jordan sitting next to Ali?

As far as i know, Jordan wasn't there.
I'm pretty much sure that i saw her last Tuesday or Wednesday walking down Grafton Street, Dublin.
A few girls were screaming her name...:wink:

And the girl next to Ali is one of Edge's daughters.

Last edited:
^Blue has red hair though doesn't she? There were some pics of her and Bono's girls at one of the Vertigo shows, and I know she did then. She also had red hair at the pics from Edge and Morleigh's wedding. I think Hollie has red hair too.

JCOSTER said:
Adge what a great picture.

I am 99% sure that it was Eve.

That was definitely Eve 2 seats away from Ali. Her face was pretty clear, and she looked like all the pics I've seen from all the ones that have been posted here before. Plus, Bono mentioned her and Ali in his thank-yous in the video from the auction that was posted. It's the other girl right next to Ali that isn't recognizable. I doubt it was Jordan because Bono would've mentioned her along with Ali and Eve. Maybe it was just a friend of Eve's. :shrug:

Last edited:
U2isthebest said:
^Blue has red hair though doesn't she? There were some pics of her and Bono's girls at one of the Vertigo shows, and I know she did then. She also had red hair at the pics from Edge and Morleigh's wedding. I think Hollie has red hair too.

Yeah Blue has long red hair still, I've seen recent pics of her.
Eve does tend to invite her friends to certain Bono events so I assume that gil between her and Ali is a friend ;)

BonoFox1 said:

Yeah Blue has long red hair still, I've seen recent pics of her.
Eve does tend to invite her friends to certain Bono events so I assume that gil between her and Ali is a friend ;)

I remember that; at the "Across The Universe" premiere in London, there were a couple pics. posted here of Bono, Eve, and one of Eve's friends, I'm assuming. They were both holding onto his arms. It was so :cute: .

U2isthebest said:

I remember that; at the "Across The Universe" premiere in London, there were a couple pics. posted here of Bono, Eve, and one of Eve's friends, I'm assuming. They were both holding onto his arms. It was so :cute: .

I don't remember that one. come to think of it, I can't remember any of the pics from the premiere. does anyone know the link to that thread?

Rosebud said:

I don't remember that one. come to think of it, I can't remember any of the pics from the premiere. does anyone know the link to that thread?

I'd search for you, but I haven't renewed my premium membership since it expired a couple weeks ago.:(

I'm sure someone will be able do to do that for you, though!

Art sales: Bono breaks the mould
Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 19/02/2008
Colin Gleadell on the biggest charity art auction in history

Market news: From the Russian underground
Celebrities, including supermodels and pop stars, were out in force with art collectors and dealers for the biggest charity art auction in history in New York last week. It was Valentine's Day, and Sotheby's was selling 73 works to raise money for United Nations-funded relief programmes for HIV and Aids in Africa.

All You Need Is Love by Damian Hirst
Organised by Bono, the lead singer of U2, and Damien Hirst, whose support Bono had enlisted after taking him on a boat trip in France and plying him with alcohol, the Red auction had a pre-sale estimate of $20 million to $28 million (£10 million-£14 million).

Given the economic climate and the uncertain results produced by Christie's contemporary art sale in London the week before, it was not guaranteed to be a success.

In the event, and after being introduced by Bono performing an a cappella version of All You Need Is Love, it exceeded expectations, realising $42.9 million and breaking 25 artists' records.

These included works made specially for the auction by British artists Tracey Emin ($220,000 for a heart-shaped neon sign saying "I Promise to Love You"), Peter Blake ($418,000 for Love, a collage of found red objects), and Marc Quinn ($605,000 for Red Sphinx, the famous convoluted bronze sculpture of Kate Moss, with painted red lips).

advertisement
But how accurately did the sale reflect the real state of the art market? Had the buyers simply been swept up on a wave of philanthropic enthusiasm?

According to art adviser Thea Westreich, celebrity events are not good indicators of the health of the market.

"Red is a sexy auction for Valentine's Day," she said, adding that it appealed to "a not very informed segment of the art market".

However, some of the auction's more active bidders could hardly be accused of being uninformed. By approaching Hirst and artists represented by Hirst's two galleries, White Cube and Gagosian, Bono tapped what were probably the most powerful forces in the market.

Bidding for several collectors, White Cube bought five works for just over $10 million. These included the top-selling lot, a pill cabinet by Hirst which sold just above estimate for $7.1 million, and an extraordinary record $1.9 million for a work by graffiti artist Banksy, in which he had sprayed a painting of a cleaning woman on to a spot painting by Hirst.

The previous record for a Banksy was £330,000 ($660,000), but as this was a collaborative work between the two artists, it assumed added value.

Gagosian did not buy anything, but actively bid on several lots, driving prices way over estimates.

More successful was London dealer Ivor Braka, who, bidding both for himself and for a client, bought two paintings by Hirst as well as photographs by Chuck Close, contributing $6 million to the total. Love You, a butterfly painting on a red background, made the second highest price for a Hirst butterfly painting ($3.3 million), and a spot painting on a red background, Bromphenol Red, made the second highest price for a Hirst spot painting ($2.6 million).

Speaking after the sale, Braka said both paintings were "spectacularly beautiful", and that the prices were much as he had expected. He also rejected the idea that results had little relevance to the market because it was a charity sale.

"There is a comfort zone, up to about $200,000," he said, "where rich people [can pay over the odds and] don't mind making fools of themselves. But when you're paying more than that, it's not just philanthropy."

Oliver Barker, the London-based expert who conducted the sale, confirmed that most buyers were established collectors, including Bono, who spent more than $1 million. Celebrity impulse-buying - as when model Christy Turlington bought a watercolour by Francisco Clemente for $170,500 - was rarer.

"We had a lot of first-rate works by artists the market is looking for - like Andreas Gursky and Takashi Murakami, for whom there are waiting lists in the galleries," Barker said.

In the past, charity sales have been considered fringe events. But the Red auction broke the mould and prices have been registered on auction-sales websites used by professionals.

The question now is whether the slew of records will have an impact on Sotheby's London sales next week. According to Braka, estimates at the Red auction were reasonable, which encouraged bidding.

The success of next week's sales depends on whether potential buyers think that the sellers are equally reasonable - or greedy.

Back
Top Bottom