Rate the Song Series, Continued?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Okay, so as Irishteen seems to have disappeared off of Interference (not that I blame him - he seemed to be really busy in his last days of being here), and we haven't voted on song ratings since early January, I'm thinking about taking over the Rate the Song Series, recalculating what the rankings of old songs were, and starting where we left off. It might take a bit of time for me to get all of that calculated so we can begin again, because I'm pretty busy myself. Does that sound good to ye people?

It's about time we get this back on the road. :yes:

I like entering numbers.

Yeah, I miss those arguments with people who think every famous U2 song deserves a 'zero' because they're too cool for it, and, y'know, non-U2 obsessives might have heard it.

The song-thing was good, but I would recommend (a) changing the rating systems to a 1 to 4 scale (or something), and requiring posters to make comments about the song rather than just punching in random numbers and hitting "enter".

Yeah, I miss those arguments with people who think every famous U2 song deserves a 'zero' because they're too cool for it, and, y'know, non-U2 obsessives might have heard it.

The song-thing was good, but I would recommend (a) changing the rating systems to a 1 to 4 scale (or something), and requiring posters to make comments about the song rather than just punching in random numbers and hitting "enter".

or you could stop teasing us all and just show us your nipples.

Well golly, I'm sorry some people hate songs you like. Um, get over it?

Well golly, I'm sorry some people hate songs you like. Um, get over it?

Continuing in the grand tradition, both (a) my sense of humour and (b) my actual point (I did have one) flew over your guys' heads... I could spell it out for you, but I'm not going to since I assume digitize understood it.

Continuing in the grand tradition, both (a) my sense of humour and (b) my actual point (I did have one) flew over your guys' heads... I could spell it out for you, but I'm not going to since I assume digitize understood it.

Suggesting changing the rating system in the middle of the game would be great. I'd be all for it, actually. Of course, that would mean that the highest any song could be rated is a 4 overall (which is a far cry from the 8s and 9s). But you know, I'm okay with that as I personally think U2's early days are much better than their latter days.

So yes, I see you had a point... it just wasn't a very good one. As for your sense of humour? :lmao:

If this is any indication of how the new threads would go...

:lol:

It was fun and all, but I felt there was too much 'oh look at how highly I rate obscure songs' going on, and it sullied the process..to the detriment of great songs which perhaps got lower ratings just because they were so popular/overplayed. In short, I just don't think Interference represents the average U2 listener and/or is capable of rating U2 songs fairly with the way we did it last time.

I'd probably still participate. I'd like to suggest that the threads be closed to comments. No arguments or attempts to convince others of opinion and/or taste. (which I did too). I don't really think there's any value in trying to understand why someone rated a song the way they did, they rated it, end of story imo. (see last suggestion about hiding the results)

Also, if outtakes and atmospheric pieces are to be included, remixes must be also (to a max of 2 remixes per song)

I think a 5 star rating system would be good as 4 doesn't allow for a 50/50 rating. 5 stars would be the equivalent of

1 - Hate It Good God U2 What Were You Thinking
2 - Mildly dislike
3 - OK song
4 - Love this track
5 - THIS IS U2's best track EVARRRR!

Finally, completely hide all results ie who voted what and progress of tracks up and down the rankings until the entire thing is done, to eliminate (as much as possible) strategic voting, which I also felt skewered things last time a bit.

Just my suggestions! :)

totally agreed. no way i'd bother competing if it was closed for discussion. the arguments are fun, for lack of a better word.

i'd be all for hiding the rankings etc till the end though.

can we just not stigmatise everyone who might like one tree hill more than one as being obscure for the sake of being obscure?

if you're enough of a fan to be using internet forums and voting on polls like this it's likely you've heard all of the back catalogue enough to have developed favourites outside of the big hits. i'm not judging people who like the hits, because usually there's a reason the songs are hits, but y'know?

can we just not stigmatise everyone who might like one tree hill more than one as being obscure for the sake of being obscure?

if you're enough of a fan to be using internet forums and voting on polls like this it's likely you've heard all of the back catalogue enough to have developed favourites outside of the big hits. i'm not judging people who like the hits, because usually there's a reason the songs are hits, but y'know?

point taken and agreed for the most part, but i can see where some people were coming from. comments like "amazing YBR is higher up than Zooropa" were met with attacks like "for fuck's sake we all have different opinions get over it or get out" (when they were just passing, innocent comments). and for people such as me, who do like One, it was strange to see some people giving it scores of 0 or 1 in an attempt to see it at the very bottom of the list for shits & giggles, not necessarily because it's a song worthy of a 0 or a 1.

i'm bored at home. i can't work because my thumb is still fucked.

and for people such as me, who do like One, it was strange to see some people giving it scores of 0 or 1 in an attempt to see it at the very bottom of the list for shits & giggles, not necessarily because it's a song worthy of a 0 or a 1.

Think of one of your least favourite/most hated songs ever. Would you give that song a zero? Because for me, that's One. It's in my bottom five U2 songs, and probably my bottom 50 of all songs I've heard.

Think of one of your least favourite/most hated songs ever. Would you give that song a zero? Because for me, that's One. It's in my bottom five U2 songs, and probably my bottom 50 of all songs I've heard.

yeah, definitely. i've got no problem with that, but i, and i'm sure there are others?, felt that there was all of a sudden several posters giving it a zero for reasons i described above.

when you think about what this forum's general opinion of One was about four years ago, it's a bit of a turnaround.

i'd also like to point out the feasibility of no discussion. it simply isn't. if a thread is closed, that closes the poll as well. it seems a bit ridiculous to put a thread up and demand no one posts in it. this is a forum, the whole point of forums is to talk, discuss. if someone can't handle seeing their favourite song slagged off or their least favourite worshipped, this might not be the best thing for them to participate in. :shrug:

Well my suggestion was more in the spirit of not attacking individual's opinions or making them feel like sheep or whatever, that's when the conversations got dicey (again, recognizing that I sometimes participated there also)...like the condescension/they are some kind of professional music critic and everyone else's opinion is garbage type of thing.

I didn't consider the technical feasibility aspect, however.

Also, what cobl said. I don't think anyone has a problem with rating a hit low if one truly feels it is a shit song, I don't.

I do think the 5 star rating would be more equitable and honestly feel that remixes deserve their own poll, especially where the remix is dramatically different in structure or style from the original. It could be argued that in some cases, U2 would have had more success with a particular remix than the original, so I think measuring that reception/reaction to a remix is a worthwhile exercise. :up:

I think the contest should be reset with a 1-5 scale. 1-10 leaves a variety of too much opinion in the statistical aspect, it's not a good gauge especially when people interpret the scale differently. it should be 1-5, Excellent, Very Good/Good, Average, Fair, Poor. something like that, otherwise the results are skewed by just one or more persons voting on their own scale.

Also, if there's no discussion then there's also no point. I can just go rate the songs on itunes 1-5 myself and not have to see what other people think. seeing what other people think is great as long as you see why they think it, which would seemingly be the point of the exercise.

Back
Top Bottom