Rate Boots!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you rate Get On Your Boots?

Votes: 70 7.1%

Votes: 136 13.9%

Votes: 282 28.8%

Votes: 231 23.6%

Votes: 113 11.5%

Votes: 44 4.5%

Votes: 36 3.7%

Votes: 24 2.4%

Votes: 16 1.6%

Votes: 28 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well maybe the reason you hate this song is because you are losing your hearing. You think this song is indercipherable? Seriously I'd make an appointment today.

You've already seen the lyrics and know the words so it's too late for you to give me an honest answer. Play this song for someone who hasn't heard it yet, and ask them what lyrics they can repeat back to you. I've already done this exercise on my die-hard fan of a brother, and he can't do what I asked him. (He hates the song as well.)

In fact, play it 5 times to the same person, and THEN ask them to repeat it.

You've already seen the lyrics and know the words so it's too late for you to give me an honest answer. Play this song for someone who hasn't heard it yet, and ask them what lyrics they can repeat back to you. I've already done this exercise on my die-hard fan of a brother, and he can't do what I asked him. (He hates the song as well.)

What are you talking about? I easily understood 99% of the lyrics on my first listen. The only thing that I was really wrong about was the bossy boots thing (thought it was "foxy", which would have been better).

I didn't have the lyrics for the first couple of listens...

And my girlfriend who doesn't really care for U2 heard the song, thought the chorus was silly but liked the rest of the song and was singing along by the second listen.

So maybe the bad hearing runs in your family...

And make sure it's a normal person, not some freak of nature who can repeat anything and everything they hear, no matter how fast it's spoken and how far away the source is.

according to that logic Numb would probably be the song casual listeners think has their worst lyrics

which also doesn't give any indication about neither the quality of the song nor the lyrics

What are you talking about? I easily understood 99% of the lyrics on my first listen. The only thing that I was really wrong about was the bossy boots thing (thought it was "foxy", which would have been better).

Same here, that's the only line I didn't pick up at first...

"your love is a lightbulb" is one of the best lines Bono has ever written. he sings "baby, baby, baby light my way" as the chorus/outro, which is fine---it's not like he sang "baby" the WHOLE song.

well, then, explain why that line is one of the best things Bono has written and why it's so much better than anything on GOYB.

i'm looking forward an "educated" response.

I guess I'll be better served taking to the streets with my video camera, playing the song for a random person, and document what they can remember about the song. But I got better things to do. I'm sorry I made that challenge, because I can't possibly expect fans here to give an honest answer.

I guess I'll be better served taking to the streets with my video camera, playing the song for a random person, and document what they can remember about the song. But I got better things to do. I'm sorry I made that challenge, because I can't possibly expect fans here to give an honest answer.

Oh please :rolleyes:

I guess I'll be better served taking to the streets with my video camera, playing the song for a random person, and document what they can remember about the song. But I got better things to do.
if you have the time to argue the merits of the songs lyrics because of how much a casual listener can make out of them the first 5 times he/she listens, then I doubt you do have better things to do :huh:

well, then, explain why that line is one of the best things Bono has written and why it's so much better than anything on GOYB.

i'm looking forward an "educated" response.

Amazing. People are actually telling me GOYB's lyrics are better than Ultraviolet's. At this rate, Achtung Baby will be declared one of the worst albums ever made.

Yeah, I was lying. :rolleyes:

And I am not one of those people that understands everything. I love Radiohead but have a major problem understanding a lot of what Thom says.

if you have the time to argue the merits of the songs lyrics because of how much a casual listener can make out of them the first 5 times he/she listens, then I doubt you do have better things to do :huh:

I only spend about 15-20 minutes a day visiting this site, unlike some people.

I am interested though why the "love is like a lightbulb" lien would be one of the best ever
because, first of all, I think "lightbulb" is not a 'good' sounding word
and second of all the entire 'you're the light in my life' symbolism is older and more used than I dare to imagine

Yeah, I was lying. :rolleyes:

And I am not one of those people that understands everything. I love Radiohead but have a major problem understanding a lot of what Thom says.

I love Radiohead too. At the same time, casual radio listeners DO NOT understand their lyrics, which is why they almost never get in the Top 40 in America. But Radiohead only caters to their fanbase. U2 is always trying to expand their fanbase. This song will not win new listeners because of the lyrics.

i requested that you give me an educated argument on why "Your love is a lightbulb" is so much more amazing than anything on GOYB. it seems that you're dancing around it.

Sorry, I'll give you an answer when I have more time. Like you probably figured out from the number of posts, I don't participate here on that level. For next time, a "request" is not a "question".

I really dont feel like people should judge the whole album from one song, especially a single. I love Boots, I gave it a 10 and at first I let the haters drag me down but every time I listen to it, I think, I dont CARE what everyone else things, I love it and that's all that matters.

I often wonder, why cant people just be happy that U2 is BACK! It's so freaking exciting to me. I cant WAIT to hear the rest of the album. Instead, every little aspect of everything U2 does gets picked apart beyond ridiculousness. Everyone's a critic when its not them. U2 is making millions and are so successful. Are YOU?? Well then.

/end rant :wink:

:up: :up: :up:

Sorry, I'll give you an answer when I have more time. Like you probably figured out from the number of posts, I don't participate here on that level. For next time, a "request" is not a "question".

oh, thank you for the english lesson. since you're obviously an expert in the english language, i can't wait to read what you come up with once you're done stalling. :)

Actually, I own my business, so I'm working most of the day. I would LIKE to play with my camera, but sadly, too busy.
I feel your pain, I'm supposed to be off on friday afternoons but since overtime is the norm I have been working teh entire afternoon except for this 15 minute break

I'm sure you didn't find that remotely interesting either

I feel your pain, I'm supposed to be off on friday afternoons but since overtime is the norm I have been working teh entire afternoon except for this 15 minute break

I'm sure you didn't find that remotely interesting either

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom