Rate Boots!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you rate Get On Your Boots?

Votes: 70 7.1%

Votes: 136 13.9%

Votes: 282 28.8%

Votes: 231 23.6%

Votes: 113 11.5%

Votes: 44 4.5%

Votes: 36 3.7%

Votes: 24 2.4%

Votes: 16 1.6%

Votes: 28 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i gave it a 7 and stand by it. but my standards are very high. only "Bad", "Zooropa", and "WTSHNN" get 10's for me. so by giving it a 7, i'm saying that i think "GOYB" is :drool: and getting better each day. :)

You know what we share? the same boat.

I am pretty sure Bono has been quoted as saying Elevation is about spiritual awakening. Yeah, I know the whole "a mole diggin in a hole" is infamous for being a nod to oral sex. Again though, the whole line is "a mole, diggin in a hole, diggin up my SOUL now going down excavation, I and I in the sky you make me feel like I can fly Elevation.....LOVE, LIFT ME UP OUT OF THESE BLUES...I believe in you. This song is like ironically Christian.

I hate fans who intentionally try to find some sort of a dirty message in the songs and ruin it for everyone. Sick perverts.

I must say, and this pains me no-end, that goyb has not grown well on me. The more I hear it the less I hear that really grabs me. There is no definite hook that I can sink my teeth into and it really is a messy composition jumping between 3 major sections which all sound like seperate prices of music. I'm not wanting to be negative for the sake of it, I just feel I should be honest since I have been a big supporter of the song until recently.

There is certainly nothing new going on and I feel that perhaps the band are running out of ideas.

Ps. Anyone see those photos of Bono with the bikini clad teens? Didn't realize he was in to those kinds of immoral practices.

Ps. Anyone see those photos of Bono with the bikini clad teens? Didn't realize he was in to those kinds of immoral practices.

So if you were Bono and some bikini clad girls wanted to talk to you, your reply would be "No it's immoral for me to hang out with you, please go change"? I really think people are making controversy from nothing over that

So if you were Bono and some bikini clad girls wanted to talk to you, your reply would be "No it's immoral for me to hang out with you, please go change"? I really think people are making controversy from nothing over that

Being a married man myself I would have to say thanks but no thanks ladies. I already have a beautiful lady. I wouldn't put my arms all over them and then invite them back to my boat...

I'm not criticising AB's lyrics.

Why not? AB isn't sacrosanct. There are some inferior lyrics on that album. Personally, I think "Wild Horses" is mostly crap and "So cruel" isn't very good, either. Those lyrics just don't appeal to me and are kind of repetitive throughout the songs.

"I got a submarine you got gasoline I don't wanna talk about wars between nations"

...totally is a reference to sex. Bono has a dinger, the girl he's singing to has the fuel (i.e. sex appeal) he's not too interested in politics at this juncture.

Ah yes, alright. If that's your way of interpreting it, it's fine. But you know that it probably says more about you than about the guy who wrote those lyrics? I think it could be one possible interpretations, but not the only one.

Has anyone considered Bono may have taken on a more dadaistic approach here? The dadaists were writing their stuff during world war 1 and disguised all kinds of war references in an - apparently - nonsenical language.

Being a married man myself I would have to say thanks but no thanks ladies. I already have a beautiful lady. I wouldn't put my arms all over them and then invite them back to my boat...

But then again you're not a rockstar. :wink:

How many times has Bono flirtet with women in public, put their arms around them, pulled them up on stage to dance etc.?

It's something he and his wife have to sort out and as far as I know they look like quite a happy couple.

It has nothing to do with the GOYB discussion. We shouldn't throw in things about Bono's personal lives just because we are running out of arguments about the song.

I scored it a 1....BUT....only because i couldnt choose 0! After about 50+ listens....i am of the opinion that this is the weakest original u2 song EVER, by a country mile! Never in my near 30 yrs of following the band have i disliked two back to back offerings so much (GOYB and Saints):down:

I scored it a 1....BUT....only because i couldnt choose 0! After about 50+ listens....i am of the opinion that this is the weakest original u2 song EVER, by a country mile! Never in my near 30 yrs of following the band have i disliked two back to back offerings so much (GOYB and Saints):down:
That makes it 3 in a row for you including Window in the Skies.

So basically your coming into every thread just to talk about how much you dislike the song? maybe you should move onto another band?

I must say, and this pains me no-end, that goyb has not grown well on me. The more I hear it the less I hear that really grabs me. There is no definite hook that I can sink my teeth into and it really is a messy composition jumping between 3 major sections which all sound like seperate prices of music. I'm not wanting to be negative for the sake of it, I just feel I should be honest since I have been a big supporter of the song until recently.

There is certainly nothing new going on and I feel that perhaps the band are running out of ideas.

Troll anyone? said nothing positive since joining the site.

I gave it a four. Too busy, too "Wild, Wild West"-like, and Bono's voice just grates on me.

Over on rateyourmusic, Boots currently has a 2.19 average out of 5 making it the second worst rated U2 single after One (With Mary J Blige)

Looks like it's really hated outside of this forum...

:ohmy:

That's scary. Looks like its 1991 all over again. :wink:

Except I don't think non fans are gonna start liking it, seriously this album will probably be slammed by critics and flop by the looks of it...it took U2 10 years to be willing to take a risk after the last time that happened..

I really don't care if it gets slammed by critics, just as long as its risk taking and pushing the boundaries. It could flop, but surely it would still sell more than Pop. I think they are prepared for it though this time around.

Once we hear the next single things will become clearer.

I really don't care if it gets slammed by critics, just as long as its risk taking and pushing the boundaries. It could flop, but surely it would still sell more than Pop. I think they are prepared for it though this time around.

Once we hear the next single things will become clearer.

It won't outsell pop even if it was a success it won't outsell Pop, and U2 are never prepared for a flop. The one flop in their career and they got scared and refused to push any boundaries for a decade. Personally, it doesn't matter to me whether or not I'm the only person who likes it but for the band it must suck to see such a huge negative backlash against them

We'll have heard the album by then though :wink:

*The album is rated the 353rd worst of all time on RYM, maybe we shouldn't even bother listening :wink:

It won't outsell pop even if it was a success it won't outsell Pop, and U2 are never prepared for a flop. The one flop in their career and they got scared and refused to push any boundaries for a decade. Personally, it doesn't matter to me whether or not I'm the only person who likes it but for the band it must suck to see such a huge negative backlash against them

We'll have heard the album by then though :wink:

*The album is rated the 353rd worst of all time on RYM, maybe we shouldn't even bother listening :wink:

The U2-haters. :wink:

All that matters is that U2 are making the music of their lives, what they want.

I scored it a 3. Since first hearing it on Monday it hasnt grown on me at all. I didnt much like Vertigo the first time I heard it but it did grow on me.

Listen to Elvis Costello - Pump it up and see how similar you think it is.

I do hope the album is much better.

I've given 'Boots' a six, due to the catchy guitars and interesting drums and base... in fact, I think Adam is the star performer on this song... especially in terms of technique, he is flawless on this.

However ultimately as a diehard adoring U2 fan, I have to agree with the many who have said this is a bizarre choice as first single and is probably the least best first single the lads have ever released. Boys... you need some strong, strong, strong singles from this album after Boots or you will fall into the 'Pop' trap where the general public lost interest in a great album because the choice of singles was dreadful...

To those saying the chorus is the weak point, I would say I disagree completely... simply due to the fact that there is no chorus in Boots.... "Sexy Boots... Get on Your Boots" in two notes over the main guitar riff is NOT a chorus.

The part that most closely resembles a chorus, is The Edge's "You don't know.... etc" bit, and it's a crying shame it only happens as a type of bridge, twice in the song... Indeed a third part like this, at the end of the song, and we would have our chorus.

Where as The Fly, Discotheque and Vertigo all had distinct choruses, this one does not.

I must also state that the song really seems to go pear-shaped with the "Let me in the sound..." section... surely a guitar solo laden with effects and overlays and echoes and melody could have filled this part... not sure what they are thinking by pasting in a slab of what could be a "Miami" sound-alike into a single promoting what is meant to be their best ever album...

It's interesting Zeppelin-ish rock at this point in the song, but even Led Zep would have kept that bit for a B-side or album track... It just slows down the frantic tempo, and breaks up what could be a song that is addictive to many due to its fast paced repetitious riff, by slicing in a strange slow part...

Lads... lift your game for the rest of the album... Remember that even when you go experimental and innovative, a chorus still sometimes is handy in making people like a rock song.

I would not actually be surprised at all, if the version of Boots that appears on the album, is different to the one currently on radio... we shall see...

Bring on "Breathe"... "Magnificent".... "Unknown Caller"... etc...

The one that says "baby" 640 times?

HAHA! I love Ultraviolet, but to try to say Bono's lyrics are any better than GOYB is laughable. for example, if Bono were to write the phrase "your love is a lightbulb hanging over my head" in 2009, people would call it horrible.

this whole "Bono's lyrics are crap" argument has become an inaccurate but convenient excuse for people to rip on U2's music.

HAHA! I love Ultraviolet, but to try to say Bono's lyrics are any better than GOYB is laughable. for example, if Bono were to write the phrase "your love is a lightbulb hanging over my head" in 2009, people would call it horrible.

this whole "Bono's lyrics are crap" argument has become an inaccurate but convenient excuse for people to rip on U2's music.

"your love is a lightbulb" is one of the best lines Bono has ever written. he sings "baby, baby, baby light my way" as the chorus/outro, which is fine---it's not like he sang "baby" the WHOLE song.

GOYB lyrics is pure garbage. Since most radio listeners will only catch the chorus lyrics "Get on your boots, sexy boots" (the rest is quite indecipherable if you don't have the words in front of you---well, besides "you don't know how..."), this song is destined to be remembered by casual radio listeners as having some of the worst lyrics written by Bono.

GOYB lyrics is pure garbage. Since most radio listeners will only catch the chorus lyrics "Get on your boots, sexy boots" (the rest is quite indecipherable if you don't have the words in front of you---well, besides "you don't know how..."), this song is destined to be remembered by casual radio listeners as having some of the worst lyrics written by Bono.

Well maybe the reason you hate this song is because you are losing your hearing. You think this song is indercipherable? Seriously I'd make an appointment today.

The lyrics are great. I could do without the boots part, but the rest more than make up for it...

I've given 'Boots' a six, due to the catchy guitars and interesting drums and base... in fact, I think Adam is the star performer on this song... especially in terms of technique, he is flawless on this.

However ultimately as a diehard adoring U2 fan, I have to agree with the many who have said this is a bizarre choice as first single and is probably the least best first single the lads have ever released. Boys... you need some strong, strong, strong singles from this album after Boots or you will fall into the 'Pop' trap where the general public lost interest in a great album because the choice of singles was dreadful...

To those saying the chorus is the weak point, I would say I disagree completely... simply due to the fact that there is no chorus in Boots.... "Sexy Boots... Get on Your Boots" in two notes over the main guitar riff is NOT a chorus.

The part that most closely resembles a chorus, is The Edge's "You don't know.... etc" bit, and it's a crying shame it only happens as a type of bridge, twice in the song... Indeed a third part like this, at the end of the song, and we would have our chorus.

Where as The Fly, Discotheque and Vertigo all had distinct choruses, this one does not.

I must also state that the song really seems to go pear-shaped with the "Let me in the sound..." section... surely a guitar solo laden with effects and overlays and echoes and melody could have filled this part... not sure what they are thinking by pasting in a slab of what could be a "Miami" sound-alike into a single promoting what is meant to be their best ever album...

It's interesting Zeppelin-ish rock at this point in the song, but even Led Zep would have kept that bit for a B-side or album track... It just slows down the frantic tempo, and breaks up what could be a song that is addictive to many due to its fast paced repetitious riff, by slicing in a strange slow part...

Lads... lift your game for the rest of the album... Remember that even when you go experimental and innovative, a chorus still sometimes is handy in making people like a rock song.

I would not actually be surprised at all, if the version of Boots that appears on the album, is different to the one currently on radio... we shall see...

Bring on "Breathe"... "Magnificent".... "Unknown Caller"... etc...

I like the song more than you do, but great analysis of why you think it is mediocre. Much better than most of the haters here. Basically, great first post and welcome!

Back
Top Bottom