Rank the Vertigo Tour vs. Previous Ones You Have Seen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2@NYC

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I guess that, with the first leg almost complete, we could do the exercise of 'ranking' this tour vs. all previous U2 ones. In my view, this tour is good, but not great... for some reason, the song selection does not seem to get me as much. I guess it might also be because I do not like the album as much as the previous one... do not know.

In any event, I've seen them in 3 tours and I would rank them like this:

1. Elevation
2. Vertigo
3. Popmart

Thoughts?

1. Joshua Tree
2. Unforgettable Fire
3. Zoo TV
4. Vertigo
5. Conspiracy of Hope
6. Elevation
7. Popmart

1. ZooTV: Hands down the best and my first chance seeing the band perform live. Great songs and superior performances in intimate venues. Joshua Tree made me a fan. Achtung Baby made me a fanatic.

2. Elevation: (Sigh of relief) Back to basics, back to arenas, back with a great album.

3. Vertigo: Close behind Elevation. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Back to basics, back to arenas, back with a solid if not great album.

4. Popmart: Easily the weakest. Stadium shows. This is when U2 had me really worried but alas it was only a phase. Descent album but way too many influences for my taste and I hadn’t a clue where the band was going artistically.

still don't know..... haven't seen Vertigo yet, i will tell you in 41 days.... but so far:

1. ZOO TV (best ever show in 1992 arenas) in Lausanne

2. ZOOROPA (1993) in Lausanne

3. Elevation in Zurich

4. POP in Paris

5. POP in Amsterdam

to come..... Berlin, Zurich, Nice...... what a summer!!!!

zootv conceptwise
elevation :emotionwise slanecastle will never ever be topped by another concert.

Vertigo: have seen one show in chicago and thanx to a couple of idiots I didn''t enjoy the night as much as when we have GA...öh my God Elevation wohoho"This is Gloria"what the fuck is that song?

I HATE second row :wink:
GA in Amsterdam that's for sure...:drool:

for me

1. popmart
2. vertigo
3. elevation

they played the older songs better during elevation, but for the vertigo tour the songs off the new album are much better live then the atyclb songs were

i cry every night because i never saw zootv in person

here's mine:

1). Zoo TV
2). Joshua Tree
3). Vertigo
4). Elevation
5). Unforgettable Fire
6). War
7). C of H
8). Popmart

how people can say that this is worse than elevation when we still have 2 legs of the tour to go,

elevation tour didnt have any special feeling until the 3rd leg, imo of course

Guess, I'd like to judge only the tours, I've been following since 1992. So: The next ranking does not mean, that I'd judge the last slots as "bad tours" - they all were great and had their unique moments, but personal preferences do exist:

1. 'ZOOROPA' Tour 1993
The best show concept in Rock's history has to be #1. And apart from the stage/cabaret characters "The Fly" and the marvelous "Macphisto" there was the band playing at thier peak. from the spontaneity of the B-stage to the core of electric songs: perfect sets from first minute to the last seconds, when the stars were all, that's left. The only low point: for U2's back catalogue, you could have missed (sometimes) the changing of setlists, when you attended more shows.

1. 'VERTIGO' Tour 2005
For me of eual importance as the 1993's tour for me at the moment, having returned from the spectacular shows in East Rutherford and New York City. Musically you get U2 in their finest moments. The band is interacting all the time, you get the energy and the joy to play along with setlists, that have something for everybody: An excellent tour album with strong very tracks, being ne of the band's classic records already. Then there is the obvious "Greatest Hits" part, but with its tunes being played with conviction and punch. And then there is the resurrection of sadly liong forgotten tunes, that get tears in fans' eyes. Just listen to the BOY, OCTOBER, WAR and ACHTUNG BABY tunes or the beautiful "Runnning To Stand Still" and you know, what I mean. It will be interesting to observe, whether or how the stlists will change, when the band starts their outdoor shows in Europe next month.

3. 'ELEVATION' Tour 2001
This is the step before the current tour - and so one of the most important tours in the band's history, i guess. What I'm praising above in 2005, has been there already in 2001 - the concentration on music, playing in four and apprecating the whole musical oeuvre with a close audience: from 1980 until today. The setlists were strong, but not as revolutionary and nailed as 2005 so I have to put it back ...

4. 'ZOO TV' Tour 1992
It has been a kind of shock to see the band then - with still the 80ies images in your mind. Everything was new, fresh and confusing: the message, music, the looks and so the atmosphere of the gigs. The ACHTUNG BABY tracks were great as the chosen bunch of elder tunes - but the decision to play very static setlists and not to play any material before THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE was something, I understand now, but surely not in 1992.

5. 'POPMART' Tour 1997
U2 at its best and worst at the same time: A great album with a special sound (So please, Bono, don't think about re-recording it - that's not necessary at all. Play them live and change them on stage, if you want to!), but a show concept, that doesn't deserve such a name. The name POP was aready not appropriate to the intimate album - as it was the trade mark POPMART. Apart from the technical brilliance of the sreen, flying lemons and martinii olives on stage, there was one huge problem: Everything drowned the essence of U2 - four people making music together! And so the - in a lot details unfinished - spectacle is something, you'll remember positive, as some single beautiful song versions, too. Next to the negative fact, that the setlists were nearly identical night after night - and never before (and hopefully never after) the music had to step back that much to optic. No, to "top ZOO TV" was a challenge, but no good idea in the end ...

I only saw Popmart before this, and I'd definitely have to rank Vertigo above that. Popmart seemed to be more to me about spectacle and show, whereas Vertigo (and Elevation before it, though I never got to see a show then) seems to focus more on the music.

I have to say I'm a bit partial, though. For Popmart I had nosebleed seats, and for Vertigo I was right down front. For Popmart, I was only 18, and my appreciation for U2 has matured as much as I have in the eight years since then.

On our drive back from Philly 2, my friend (who overall didn't seem to have that great of a time), said, "U2 is so good to their fans. I couldn't believe the connection to the audience." And while a lot of people have complained about arenas instead of stadiums, I have to say that the connection between the band and crowd I've seen so far just wouldn't be possible in a stadium.

1. Joshua Tree Outside
2. Zoo TV Outside Broadcast
3. Popmart
4. Zoo TV Inside Broadcast
5. Elevation
6. Vertigo

Clearly I think U2 is served up best outside under the stars...

gold: war (bronco bowl, dallas)
silver: joshua tree (tarrant co. convention center, fort worth)
bronze: elevation (compaq, houston; reunion, dallas)

also-ran: vertigo (glendale, phoenix)

The venue, leg, city, and crowd all make a difference.
For me:
1. Zoo TV Outside Broadcast - Chicago
2. Elevation Leg 1 Chicago
3. Tie: Amnesty International Conspiracy of Hope Tour & Unforgettable Fire
4. Vertigo Chicago #2 May 9th
5. Zoo TV Outside Broadcast - St. Louis show was ok, crowd sucked started leaving before encore.

1)ZOO TV-for the spectacle and the band. as mentioned before, the extravagance and the size of the tour added something special to an already special band

2)Vertigo- touring with a better album than elevation and pulling out some better older tunes makes this better than elevation in my opinion

2B)Elevation- there was something magical about the band during this tour. it was a return to dominance after people questioned them during popmart. plus the slane gigs were just pure magic

4)Popmart-some high points (mofo-great opener) but also some low (sunday bloody sunday acoustic no good)

27 replies...and only 1 first place vote for Vertigo (and that by someone who saw just Elevation prior).

A bit telling? Great tour, just not their best?

I would rate the shows that I attended like this.

1. Zoo TV (Zooropa)
2. Popmart
3. Unforgettable Fire Tour
4. Joshua Tree Tour
5. War Tour

I missed out on Elevation but I am going to 5 Vertigo's.

Back
Top Bottom