Random Music Talk XCVII: Now With Hot Man Pics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe I've been desensitised because I've seen it parodied and referenced so many times, and I've seen the Here's Johnny scene among others on countless of those "top 20 movie moments" shows. Same with the shower scene from Psycho.

I've seen Rear Window. Does that count as a horror? Probably not.

No, The Shining is legitimately scary as hell.

Yeah, that's one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen. It's definitely not a thriller; there's too much supernatural shit happening.

Then again, the line between horror and thriller is so thin it's not even worth discussing. I can just tell you that 99% of my favorite horror films aren't particularly violent because I agree that great horror generally doesn't need gore to be frightening. Lighting, acting, sound editing, etc. does the job. One exception is Audition. That's one of my favorite movies in general. It's disturbing and violent but has so much else going for it.

Last edited:
Then again, the line between horror and thriller is so thin it's not even worth discussing.

Oh yes it is.

I fucking hate being told that some movie is a great horror movie and then it turns out just to be a thriller. One of my biggest pet peeves.

And Cobbler, you might like to know that the Shower Scene actually occurs relatively early in the film. There's a whole lot more afterward. One of the best movies ever made.

Oh yes it is.

I fucking hate being told that some movie is a great horror movie and then it turns out just to be a thriller. One of my biggest pet peeves.

That's because they often are, in fact, "great" movies as opposed to cheesy ones with bad effects. :wink:

I strongly hold the opinion that you can have good horror without monsters in it.

Last edited:
They could have just read AV Club for a couple of years and found out everything they needed to know.

That's because they often are, in fact, "great" movies as opposed to cheesy ones with bad effects. :wink:

I strongly hold the opinion that you can have good horror without monsters in it.

Who said anything about monsters?

All I'm saying is that if I had been recommended Se7en by someone, when asking them for a horror recommendation, I would be pissed off. You and I have had this argument numerous times. I find Se7en to be the ultimate example of a movie that is horrifying, but is most certainly not a horror film.

I think the definition of horror is very subjective. I could definitely see if someone would consider Seven at least as a combination of horror and thriller. One of the most disturbing and scariest films I've seen are David Lynch movies, and most of them certainly don't count as horror.

And count me in among the ones who prefer atmosphere and a sense of dread over blood and gore in order to make a very effective horror film experience.

And again, I think you're overlooking my point here. I didn't say that it needed to have blood and gore to be something I'd consider horror, but I do think a horror film has to have that something that moves past simply being a movie that keeps you on the edge of your seat. That's what the thriller genre is for after all. I don't like the idea that the word horror has to be such a dirty thing. People try to "class it up" in a sense, by attributing so many thriller films as horror, as though the lack of blood/gore/monsters in those films will suddenly make the horror genre acceptable. The fact is, if that's what it takes for you to enjoy horror films...maybe you just don't enjoy horror films.

I'm sure we can all agree that this qualifies as horror:

nsw-2.jpg

Last edited:
I must have been mistaken in thinking horrorcore was all misfits-wannabe bands.

And again, I think you're overlooking my point here. I didn't say that it needed to have blood and gore to be something I'd consider horror, but I do think a horror film has to have that something that moves past simply being a movie that keeps you on the edge of your seat. That's what the thriller genre is for after all. I don't like the idea that the word horror has to be such a dirty thing. People try to "class it up" in a sense, by attributing so many thriller films as horror, as though the lack of blood/gore/monsters in those films will suddenly make the horror genre acceptable. The fact is, if that's what it takes for you to enjoy horror films...maybe you just don't enjoy horror films.

I didn't say you said it needed blood and gore. I was just agreeing with a point already made in the discussion. I do think there's a lot more to the thriller genre than keeping the viewer on the edge of the seat. Psychological thrillers for one offer many themes that rely on character at least as much as on suspense. Genres certainly are not strictly divided and there are many films that combine the two (or many more). Horror, when done right, is hardly a dirty thing or an unclassy thing - the horror genre has many classics, but most of them (in my mind) don't relate that much on graphic details, such as The Haunting or Psycho or Nosferatu (both versions, and I for one was even more creeped out by Herzog's version) or Eyes Without a Face etc. When I think of a great horror film, things like mood, dread, creepiness enhanced by cinematography, set design, lighting and editing that stick with you long after the movie has ended are some of the factors that make it special. Certainly not jump shocks or hectoliters of blood, which infects many of the so-called horror movies today.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom