Random Music Talk LXXVIII: Crashing Miley's Toluca Lake Pad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ I like a few Audioslave tracks. Like A Stone always takes me back. That's a damn good song, for my money.

Yeah, I don't hate audioslave, I was just consistently underwhelmed with them. They were decent enough, but never did anything that blew me away. I think they were one case where I totally bought into the omg Tom Morello and Chris Cornell! Hype. And it did not live up to any lofty expectations, instead was safe and just merely ok.

Weezer actually wins the prize for being the first repeat band since I've been sitting here. And Atlas Genius is another incredibly dull band I'd never want to hear again.

Mumford gets extra points cos it was the same fucking song the second time. At least I get the postal service now. Is it time to go home yet?

Are they foxy to you?

I don't get this.

I also turned off the radio, but let me tell you, trying to read a book on a phone is not fun. Technology has made me far too impatient, and I was planning on just waiting til I got home, but given the fact that I have the ability to purchase a book that comes out today while sitting in a parking lot hours before the store opens, the need for instant gratification sort of won this one. And of course, even though I've seen some major spoilers regarding the main character from the 30-some odd books this one is tied into, I care a lot more about what my favorite other character is doing in this one. Shift ends in an hour, and I plan to go home and read til I either nod off or finish the book.

Yeah, I don't hate audioslave, I was just consistently underwhelmed with them. They were decent enough, but never did anything that blew me away.

That pretty much sums up Audioslave for me, too. The potential was great, and there are bits scattered throughout their (limited) catalog that almost live up to it, but overall they're just... okay.

Dashboard Confessional: They were great until they went electric. Unfortunately, they became popular when they went electric. Despite the "your hair is everywhere" song, I still think Places You Have Come To Fear The Most is a good album. They had an insane amount of hype in the indie / underground world at that point. (when it was cool to like emo)

Thursday: Full Collapse was a pretty cool album. They were fairly ahead of their time sound wise, they showed up a lot in guitar magazines at the time. Again, they had a lot of hype before that type of music flooded the radio. Understanding in a Car Crash is still a pretty cool song (despite the outdated backup screaming).

Audioslave: I saw their debut tour. Drove to Phoenix with a 3 or 4 roommates and friends. They were great. Their first album was extremely solid. They had massively diminishing returns from there on. I mostly blame Cornell, he couldn't have phoned it in more after the first album. Obvious he wanted out of the contract, but they had to fulfill the album deal.

That pretty much sums up Audioslave for me, too. The potential was great, and there are bits scattered throughout their (limited) catalog that almost live up to it, but overall they're just... okay.

This. It came down to chemistry between Cornell and the other band members, and it didn't come to pass. There were traces of it on songs like Doesn't Remind Me or Shadow on the Sun, but never enough to make a consistent album.

Cornell was born to play with Matt Cameron, Kim Thayil and Ben Shepherd. The new Soundgarden record is pretty decent for a reunion album and easily better than anything Audioslave ever did.

In general, I prefer UK imports, but The Clash's debut is an exception. Just a better selection of songs all around in the US version.

Are You Experienced, Boys Don't Cry and Desolation Boulevard by Sweet are the other exceptions I can think of.

I've never even heard the US version, track listing looks strange to say the least.

I don't know why someone would want to listen to a version without Clash City Rockers, Complete Control and White Man in Hammersmith Palais.

Sorry, I must have missed the inconsistencies they cause in the album's otherwise carefully-constructed narrative arc :wink:

For whatever reason, I constantly associate Cursive and Afghan Whigs, and even mix them up occasionally. I think the reason is that I got turned on to both of them by various individuals in this thread at about the same time.

Now with someone starting an Afghan Whigs thread last night and you posting about Cursive so soon after, I fear I am never going to stop associating the two.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

week-two.jpg

I hadn't seen Snoop billed as Snoop Lion yet. I wonder if that's gonna be a primarily reggae set or what.

No idea what to expect on that front. I've seen Snoop two or three times, and it's always a blast. Think I'm doing something else that day though. Definitely hoping to pop in to that party for Danny and Ghostface.

Divine Fits are playing the showcase at my venue Tuesday night too, so they'll be very busy.

No idea what to expect on that front. I've seen Snoop two or three times, and it's always a blast. Think I'm doing something else that day though. Definitely hoping to pop in to that party for Danny and Ghostface.

Divine Fits are playing the showcase at my venue Tuesday night too, so they'll be very busy.

Divine Fits/Japandroids/Wavves is going to be a killer rock show. Wavves/FIDLAR are playing here in a few weeks, but tickets sold out quick and I'm not willing to stubhub that shit with Nick Cave still an expensive possibility.

Does Danny Brown's new album have a release date yet?

I vaguely remember reading he finished it, but there isn't a date set. Definitely up there on my most hyped this year.

I vaguely remember reading he finished it, but there isn't a date set. Definitely up there on my most hyped this year.

As with Kendrick, it took me a while to get used to his voice, but dude has mad talent. I really like the lyrical shift XXX takes towards the end.

I listened to the album earlier today, didn't do much for me.

I was into it for the first couple of tracks and then it turned into background music. Seems like something I would enjoy though, so I'll give it another shot at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom