Random Music Talk LXXIV: No witty reference, but at least it's not Cobbler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Monty Python. :up:

I've been at Ikea all day, saying good-bye to my money. Now I'm drinking boba tea and assembling shit, of course.

One of my theater major friends in college did a bunch of MP sketches for his senior show (a requirement of the major was that they had to direct a short show). I got to be in it, and it was a ridiculous amount of fun.

of course, now i have to ask you, which ones? Self-defence against fruit? Military fairy march? Dead parrot? Psychotic barber/lumberjack?

Argument clinic and the one with guys in a boat. "How long is it?" "That's rather a personal question!" "... have we started again????"

There were probably 2 or 3 others, but I don't remember.

I have to admit, I was never much a fan of Terry Gilliam in front of the camera. He did exceptional work behind it, obviously (and I've only seen his Monty Python stuff, not his films), particularly with the cartoons, but Flying Circus started to slip in the last season and a half, as they started to run out of ideas, Cleese left and Gilliam got more airtime.

I find it quite odd that I spend hours on the phone as part of my job, yet I'm still totally horrible at normal phone conversations. I find them really awkward.

Gilliam's films almost never do it for me. I love them about 75%, but the other 25% is always either flat for me, or outright hated.

Regardless:

Brazil
12 Monkeys
The Fisher King
Time Bandits

(Fear and Loathing would be #1, but I haven't seen the last 30 minutes)

Brazil is my favorite of his with Twelve Monkeys close behind. Time Bandits, though, holds a very special place in my heart. Movie cracks me up.

"And how long have you been a robber?"

"Four foot one"

"....Good lord! Jolly good. Four foot one? Well that...that..that is a long time, isn't it?"

I was going to do the Nudge Nudge sketch at high school once but my cohort pulled out.

A friend and I did the "bring out your dead" scene from Holy Grail at high school. Heaps of good fun.

Did we used to have a thread for our favourite moments in songs? I can't recall, but anyways there's a bit in Wilco's Kamera, which isn't that great a song, where the guitar sort of changes in tone, or key, or speed (I'm not musically minded so I don't know how to explain it properly), sounds more upbeat, and continues on from 2:30 until the end, and it just makes the song so much better.

Brazil is my favorite of his with Twelve Monkeys close behind. Time Bandits, though, holds a very special place in my heart. Movie cracks me up.

"And how long have you been a robber?"

"Four foot one"

"....Good lord! Jolly good. Four foot one? Well that...that..that is a long time, isn't it?"

I saw Time Bandits one afternoon, and I didn't pay it the strictest attention to it. I'll give it another go some day. It just had the same moments as all of his films for me, I like it and the story a lot, but then there will be a like a half an hour where I'm kind of bored and then the end is fantastic.

How? Wheelbarrows?

It was a painfully improvised drama club audition - me, my friend, and since another friend pulled out, a stuffed toy that was meant to be the "dead" body, with a bunch of old battered props from the drama room. I'm no ventriloquist, so my voicing of the stuffed toy was questionable, but it all went better than we expected. Got more laughs than we thought.

I just realized "Dancing Barefoot" is a Patti Smith cover...and not a U2 original. :reject:

Time Bandits, though, holds a very special place in my heart. Movie cracks me up.

I saw it once, about ten years ago, but noticed recenly it was on Netflix. I remembered it being quite funny, so I watched it a couple weeks ago. Yep, still funny.

Did we used to have a thread for our favourite moments in songs? I can't recall, but anyways there's a bit in Wilco's Kamera, which isn't that great a song, where the guitar sort of changes in tone, or key, or speed (I'm not musically minded so I don't know how to explain it properly), sounds more upbeat, and continues on from 2:30 until the end, and it just makes the song so much better.

Jesus, Etc. -> Ashes of American Flags kills me dead.

:drool:

Jay Bennett.

The Meaning of Life was on TV recently and I hadn't seen it in a million years so I thought it would be fun to watch it again. I was wrong. I got bored after 10 minutes. I used to love Monty Python but I find I really have to be in the mood for it now. That's my first seriously unpopular opinion of 2013 I guess. /oldandcranky

I've only seen The Meaning of Life once and I don't remember a thing about it. I almost know the other two films by heart which kind of sucks as well. I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not but I'd take Fawlty Towers over most of Monty Python's stuff.

My go-to show when I just want to be entertained is Top Gear. I love those guys. I've seen some episodes more than a couple of times.

It's great after a long day full of studying which is what I've been doing for the past two weeks and will be doing for the next three weeks. And they said college was fun. :lol:

I think we talked about that in one of the "random music" threads once, at least. But if there isn't a thread for that, maybe there should be, 'cause moments like that are great.

Regarding Monty Python, I saw one of the movies once-'Holy Grail'. I remember liking it. And I've seen the occasional random sketch here and there, too.

Also...

Eight Days a Week has got to be one of my all-time favorite songs that I don't listen to nearly often enough these days. Granted, web I was a kid I probably listened to it a respectable numbe of times for a couple lifetimes, but damn that song kicks ass.

Yes. And from the last thread, I fully agree on the talk about Fatboy Slim's "Rockafeller Skank" (never, ever fails to get me dancing, that song) and "Weapon of Choice" (agreed on that song's video, it's one of my favorite music videos ever).

Yeah, the little moments in songs that are magical to a person are certainly worth talking about. And like, COBL, I never know the musical language to properly describe, I can just tell you the time it happens, etc. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom