Random Music Talk LII: No Cobbler, No Cry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finally watched From the Sky Down this morning. I agree with everyone that it doesn't really share any new information or insight I didn't already know, but I still found it extremely entertaining and interesting from start to finish. Of course, I post on a U2 fanatic forum, so there's that.

Hearing them try songs they didn't end up playing live last tour was cool.

Apologies for the drunken, expletive filled posts last night. Too many beers + bored at bar + iPhone = bad news bears

but you still need to bend that brim, cobbler

Apologies for the drunken, expletive filled posts last night. Too many beers + bored at bar + iPhone = bad news bears

but you still need to bend that brim, cobbler

What kind of bar were you attending, specifically? In Chicago, there are bars all over the place with sports team flags hanging outside. Those flags are a great indicator to stay away, in my opinion at least.

We tried to get into 3 or 4 decent places first, but we had left one bar to meet up with a friend at another and by that time the lines were too big to get in. The place we ended up is called the Wreck Room (that says it all). It's just a grubby, dark dance bar with a pole on the stage. At one point, there were 4 drunk college girls trying to dance on the same pole. No tell tale flags outside, but we knew better than to go in there. It was a last resort

Last time I was in Chicago (working for a couple months), one of the few bars I found that was my type of thing was in Pilsen, place called Skylark.

I'm sure it's not the only one but I liked the music, the clientele, the prices, the lighting.

Skylark - Chicago, IL

What's up with the MLB thread? It's not opening. I want to talk about how motherfucking cool the White Sox are and it won't let me.

Last time I was in Chicago (working for a couple months), one of the few bars I found that was my type of thing was in Pilsen, place called Skylark.

I'm sure it's not the only one but I liked the music, the clientele, the prices, the lighting.

Skylark - Chicago, IL

Pilsen apparently is a haute destination right now. Too bad it is nearly impossible to get there via public transit.

Laz, I like the LOST .gif that you busted out over in the Rate the Song thread. I kinda forgot about that scene. Makes me want to sit down and watch LOST again.

desmond_hume-lost.jpg

:drool:

Laz, I like the LOST .gif that you busted out over in the Rate the Song thread. I kinda forgot about that scene. Makes me want to sit down and watch LOST again.

I used that first on NSW.

Still makes me laugh.

Feeling you re: Lost-a-thon.

And I think the best testament to that show is that I have more of a desire to watch it again than any other series I can think of. I did a brief recap of highlight episodes before Season 6 started, and it was just as fun as the first time around.

Sean and Julia
Gareth, Ann, and Breda

The minority of people who love that song is very small. But I'm one of them.

I love "Peace On Earth" too.

Was looking through my mom's CDs today to rip some Monkees songs into iTunes and I get to her copy of Justus and it's autographed. Then I remembered, I've met Peter, Davy, and Micky when I was eleven at a signing for that album. I only have a few memories of it. I do know I was so starstruck, when one of them (I'm thinking Micky, but I can't really remember for sure) asked me my name, I couldn't respond, I was able to say "hello" and "thank you" for their autographs, but that was it. I can also remember what Peter and what Micky looked like, but Davy's a total blur. My mom was getting her Headquarters LP signed by Micky finally (When she went to the Greek in 86, it was signed at a bar by Michael, Peter, and Davy, and then instead of getting passed to Micky, it got passed back to Mike who signed it again, lol [At this signing, Peter and Davy signed it again, and Micky signed it twice for completeness's sake]) and I had already passed through the line, so I stood at the end of the table, getting out of someone's way who had cut between my mom and me and I guess I got too close to Mr Dolenz cause he gave me a weird look before Mom and I walked away.

I can't believe I forgot about that. Thinking about it, I can remember what the store looked like, what color tablecloth they had, the whole set-up. Photographic memory, I guess.

/coolstorybro

Reggo, my mom would be SO jealous of you and your mom if I told her that story. She's never met the guys, but she has seen them in concert (and Davy solo as well). And her sister, one time, got to meet Davy and had him sign a book for my mom that she then sent on to her.

It is funny how some specific details can come flooding back years later, huh?

Looking up the tracklist for Justus now-I know "Regional Girl", but I think that may actually be a Monkees album I haven't heard by way of my mom. Or maybe I have and it's just been so long that I'm blanking on many of the songs. I don't know.

I like "Peace On Earth", too, by the way :).

Not nearly as hot as it sounds. It was a little bit sad, actually. They weren't even trying to coordinate with each other.

*Nods* Generally, the girls who try and dance all sexy at clubs/bars never wind up looking as hot as they think they are. I've yet to be anywhere where I've seen girls dancing around a pole, but there is one bar I've been to where I've seen all these girls are trying to do these moves like they're in some stereotypical rap video with the women writhing around. White people from Iowa trying to pull off hot rap moves just doesn't work, from what I've observed. We shouldn't even try.

Hahaha, the movie I worked on this summer has a trailer up and omg look who is featured at the very beginning!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?deskto...youtu.be&feature=youtu.be&v=huh0lCsdR7g&gl=US

The best part is he only came to one day of the shoot because I dragged him along, as we were in desperate need of extras.

Link doesn't work.

I am, objectively, the only good part of that trailer. It sucks ass otherwise.

Apparently everyone dies at the end; I don't know why some of that wasn't spliced in to make it appear as if something happens.

My wife and I had 3 long islands at dinner last night. That just started things off. I'm actually thinking about calling in sick tomorrow to give me another day to recover.

Reggo, my mom would be SO jealous of you and your mom if I told her that story. She's never met the guys, but she has seen them in concert (and Davy solo as well). And her sister, one time, got to meet Davy and had him sign a book for my mom that she then sent on to her.

It is funny how some specific details can come flooding back years later, huh?

Looking up the tracklist for Justus now-I know "Regional Girl", but I think that may actually be a Monkees album I haven't heard by way of my mom. Or maybe I have and it's just been so long that I'm blanking on many of the songs. I don't know.

I like "Peace On Earth", too, by the way :).
Haha, that's cool. I feel bad that Davy Jones was so unremarkable to my 11-year-old brain that 16-ish years later, I can't remember him.

I know, right? Even with my so-called photographic memory. I can remember yesterday and replay it in my head like a DVD, clear picture and audio. last year is kind of like a worn VHS tape, picture's OK, the audio's fading, but otherwise OK. I go back ten years or so and I have some "video" memories, but mostly what I remember are single, still images unless I really think about something. I've heard that's called an eidetic memory. If so, why can I never remember where my keys are?

I know Circle Sky and I Believe You, but that's all the songs I remembered before ripping it this afternoon. What I need is Headquarters, Pisces, Aquarius, capricorn & Jones, ltd. and the older albums in my iTunes. I also need to find Julian Lennon's Valotte in digital format somewhere. Love the LP, but a bouncing 9-year-old isn't quite conducive to playing a vibration-sensitive turntable.

could be like me and remember some random side street off a side street off a side street you went to once 4years ago but can't remember weird dispatcher guy who you've talked to several times about video games' name.

Haha, that's cool. I feel bad that Davy Jones was so unremarkable to my 11-year-old brain that 16-ish years later, I can't remember him.

:lol: Yeah. I think he's the one most people remember from the band (and Mike Nesmith, but he'd be known as, "Oh, that guy with the hat".) so that is strange, indeed. And he was the lone Englishman in the group, too, which kinda sets him apart right there.

I know, right? Even with my so-called photographic memory. I can remember yesterday and replay it in my head like a DVD, clear picture and audio. last year is kind of like a worn VHS tape, picture's OK, the audio's fading, but otherwise OK. I go back ten years or so and I have some "video" memories, but mostly what I remember are single, still images unless I really think about something. I've heard that's called an eidetic memory. If so, why can I never remember where my keys are?

*Nods* You described it perfectly. I can remember all the words to a song I haven't heard in 20 years. But forgetting some sort of step in paperwork I often do at my job? Very easy to do, and something I have done a few times. And sometimes memories can blur together, too, and you think something happened in, say, one year, but it actually happened either years before or after that.

The brain is a very strange, fascinating organ.

I know Circle Sky and I Believe You, but that's all the songs I remembered before ripping it this afternoon. What I need is Headquarters, Pisces, Aquarius, capricorn & Jones, ltd. and the older albums in my iTunes. I also need to find Julian Lennon's Valotte in digital format somewhere. Love the LP, but a bouncing 9-year-old isn't quite conducive to playing a vibration-sensitive turntable.

The Pisces album is my mom's favorite one by them. She remembered reading some review of it once where the writer said that it was the first Monkees album you could listen to the whole way through "without skipping over the embarrassing parts" :p.

I'd have to go back and pinpoint what songs were on which albums. I don't think I ever really paid attention to that part of it all when I'd hear their music. Some of their songs I remember hearing via the band's TV show, anyway.

Isn't Valotte the one that has "Too Late For Goodbye" on it? I like that song, I remember hearing it when I was little. I like the song "Valotte", too. That's all I know by Julian, though.

How the hell do people say they "work well under stress"? A little bit of pressure, sure, but I fucking hate stress. My first day back and I've had a story dumped on me that needs a photo and story done by Wednesday morning, leaving me one day to do it when I'm already a bit behind. Now I'm miserable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom