Random Music Talk CXXVIII: Cobbler's 42 Hat Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack White on SNL was so good. His subtle tribute to EVH on Lazaretto while using the guitar EVH designed for him was sweet.

he was awesome. i don't know enough jack black songs aside from the big white stripes hits and i think i need to change that. megan thee stallion last week was dope too. two of the best musical guests they've had in a long time.

the rest of the episode was brutal. i don't understand how, with chris rock and bill burr hosting, and all the material they have to work with since the last season ended in the spring, this season could have started off so terribly aside from the musical guests. next week is justin bieber so that run is clearly over now too.

Is there are a better artist on the planet at writing gorgeous, beautifully meandering jams that seem to so perfectly encapsulate what it's like to be human with a racing mind seeking calm in a chaotic world than Kurt Vile? Particularly as spring slowly unfurls?

Bassackwards, Dandelions, Goldtone, Too Hard, Wakin on a Pretty Daze...

Random thought... anyone else think The Weeknd ripped off After the Disco?

Broken Bells....

198b968cebd2ed226d5fc6ba7d620bf53e8059c40a33c5f7c310564e36d86f6e.jpg

Which is a shame because Broken Bells is a top-20 product of the 2010s imo and I wish they said fuck U2 and fuck The Shins, we are a thing now.

Listening to Passion Pit's Manners. I have SUCH strong memories and feelings associated with this album. I love how music can instantly transport you.

Well this was an interesting discussion to catch up on. So that Cobbs doesn't look too bad, I only recognise the names of a few Van Halen songs as well. They had a cultural impact here, but not as big a one as America, and not one that passed to our generation that strongly.

I feel kinda bad saying this, but on the day EVH died, a few people on my social media timelines linked to various live solos and they were just... terrible. The worst was some 11-minute solo at a concert that was basically unlistenable, just a whole bunch of ear-piercing notes. Wow you can play quickly high up on the fretboard. Ooh you stuck your cigarette into the head of the guitar, cool man. If somebody had asked me to guess who was playing, I would've thought some clown like Yngwie Malmsteen.

Anyway, it probably says a lot about the circles I mix in that the main reaction to EVH's death was "holy shit he had Asian heritage? Wish I had known that back when I was getting bullied at school."

You should feel bad. Cross off Diplomat as a possible profession. I understand that you're not familiar with his work and you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but show some some sympathy for Eddie's fans mourning his loss.

Finally getting around to Angel Olsen's Whole New Mess. A lot of these songs sound really fucking good in these arrangements, particularly All Mirrors. The bones of that tune are excellent.

No, but he does other such great classics like, Sunshine of Your Love and Mannish Boy.

It's William Shatner sings The Blues!

Glad that the person whose opinion I valued least on this subject has chimed in.

Yes, I too think you have never said a single worthwhile thing, glad you recognise it about yourself and thanks for posting.

You should feel bad. Cross off Diplomat as a possible profession. I understand that you're not familiar with his work and you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but show some some sympathy for Eddie's fans mourning his loss.

Mate, your screen name is MrPryck2U. (perhaps should be laz's screen name)

What do you want me to do, pretend that I liked some Yngwie-esque ear-piercing notes? Point me to some actually good guitar work, or at least explain the appeal. It's days after, it's not like I rocked up during the breaking news period being all "lol he sucked". Hell, I took the time to listen to some clips and just expressed my somewhat uncomfortable feeling that they weren't quite what I expected given the effusive commentary.

Mate, your screen name is MrPryck2U. (perhaps should be laz's screen name)

What do you want me to do, pretend that I liked some Yngwie-esque ear-piercing notes? Point me to some actually good guitar work, or at least explain the appeal. It's days after, it's not like I rocked up during the breaking news period being all "lol he sucked". Hell, I took the time to listen to some clips and just expressed my somewhat uncomfortable feeling that they weren't quite what I expected given the effusive commentary.

For starters. if it sounds "Yngwie-esque", its cause Yngwie was influenced by EVH, not the other way around...so sometimes Yngwie sounds "Van Halen-esque" :wink:

https://metalheadzone.com/malmsteen-reveals-what-he-really-thinks-about-eddie-van-halen/

Malmsteen talked about how he was influenced by Eddie Van Halen, and said:

“I was 13 years old when that first fuckin’ album came out and it definitely caught my attention. Like I said, I wasn’t into guitar players back then; it was all about classical. But what I loved about them was the rawness of it all – no overdubs; they just went in and fucking did it.

He didn’t have a Floyd Rose for those early records; it was just a vintage Fender bridge. I found those kind of locking vibrato arms kills the sound of the guitar. I use vintage trems and float my bridges quite a bit – usually about 5mm up so you can pull up, but not the whole way. Eddie’s tone was great: just a 1959 Marshall all the way up and nothing turned down!”

Anyway, here's a couple of Eddie's instrumental pieces(aside from Eruption), maybe something different than you've heard:

Last edited:
So Rate Your Music just LOVES itself some metal, and I finally decided to give one of the top rated albums of the year a listen. I find this album mildly infuriating:

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/paysage-dhiver/im-wald/

Musically it's VERY good but I'm so confused by the buried vocals. I keep turning the volume up on my speakers thinking that I just have it down too far, but nope, the voices remain maddeningly distant :lol: .

So Rate Your Music just LOVES itself some metal: .

I got to the point where I just exclude metal as a genre whenever I make a chart. Like if I want to check top rated Brazilian albums please don’t come at me with Sepultura.

“My Eyes Are T-Shirts” has a part that sounds exactly like the slide guitar in “The Playboy Mansion”. Matt is a U2 fan confirmed [emoji7]

Either that or a fan of The Turtles, since that line in The Playboy Mansion is either a sample or a direct copy of You Showed Me.

Yes, please let me upload Pop into their phones. It's a great album, they might enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom