Random Music Talk CXXIV: Axver's All Out of Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem for me with a lot of rap is that it feels like somebody is talking at me, so unless I am focusing solely on the music - which, frankly, is rare - and wish to do so for an extended period, it's extremely distracting. It's also why I don't do podcasts, and why having the TV on in the background drives me completely nuts. All three induce the same anxious feeling that I need to focus on it alone. If I'm just putting on an album to soundtrack my day, rap more often than not makes me feel stressed. (I recognise how utterly ridiculous this sounds as somebody who has entirely no problem with some thunderous blackened sludge metal for an hour, but unconscious reactions to music are a funny thing huh.)

If I'm at a gig or a party, yeah, rap can be great. For my daily listening, when I'm reading or writing while the music is on? Usually not! So it's just not of interest to me to seek out.

As for jazz, every time I try to listen to an acclaimed classic of the genre it sounds like either a literal honking mess or a very dated and boring predecessor of post-rock.

The problem for me with a lot of rap is that it feels like somebody is talking at me, so unless I am focusing solely on the music - which, frankly, is rare - and wish to do so for an extended period, it's extremely distracting. It's also why I don't do podcasts, and why having the TV on in the background drives me completely nuts. All three induce the same anxious feeling that I need to focus on it alone. If I'm just putting on an album to soundtrack my day, rap more often than not makes me feel stressed. (I recognise how utterly ridiculous this sounds as somebody who has entirely no problem with some thunderous blackened sludge metal for an hour, but unconscious reactions to music are a funny thing huh.)

If I'm at a gig or a party, yeah, rap can be great. For my daily listening, when I'm reading or writing while the music is on? Usually not! So it's just not of interest to me to seek out.

As for jazz, every time I try to listen to an acclaimed classic of the genre it sounds like either a literal honking mess or a very dated and boring predecessor of post-rock.

Heh. What you have just described is why I actually only periodically listen to music at all. Even as a soundtrack it's either

a. a distraction or
b. in one ear and out the other

If I am reading, or working during the day, or doing pretty much anything other than explicitly listening to music, then I can't listen to music.

And:

The Pogues - Fairytale of New York
The Flaming Lips - Christmas at the Zoo
The Kinks - Father Christmas
Darlene Love - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
Joni Mitchell - River
Stevie Wonder - What Christmas Means to Me
John Lennon - Happy X-Mas - (War Is Over)
The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping
Bowie/Bing - Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth
Prince - Another Lonely Christmas
Vince Guaraldi Trio - entire Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack

Probably others too, but yeah, there are lots of great Christmas songs. Many of them are quite dark.

Heh. What you have just described is why I actually only periodically listen to music at all. Even as a soundtrack it's either

a. a distraction or
b. in one ear and out the other

If I am reading, or working during the day, or doing pretty much anything other than explicitly listening to music, then I can't listen to music.

Funnily enough I find it almost impossible to work, especially to write, without music. It gives me a sort of impetus or motivation. But any genre where the lyrics are not just part of the music, but an essential component to the enjoyment - in both flow and content - usually won't work. Rap stands out the most in that regard, but some folk and singer/songwriter stuff has the same problem. And the reason I haven't yet got through this year's Camp Cope album in full is because it drives me absolutely nuts at work after a couple of songs, but those two songs don't engage me enough to sit down and give a focused listen to the rest at home.

so Ax is like everything except for rap and country kinda guy?

Nah I'm not going to dunk on rap as a genre, just it's not something likely to be part of my regular listening. Doesn't suit how I listen, or what I most seek in music. Maybe one day it will. A decade ago I had no interest in synth-driven music; it's now a key part of my listening.

Happy to dunk on country though. Burn Tamworth to the ground.

The only good Christmas song.

Paul Kelly has good songs but this turgid dull piece of shit is not one of them. Australian Twitter is completely unbearable today.

Hello Dan
It's Joe here
I hope you're keeping well
It's the 21st of December
And now they're ringing the last bells

If I get good behaviour
I'll be outta by July
Won't you kiss my kids on Christmas Day
Please
Don't let em cry for me

I guess the brothers are driving down from Queensland
And Stella's flying in from the coast
They say it's gonna be 100 degrees, even more maybe
But that won't stop the roast

Who's gonna make the gravy, now?
I bet it won't taste the same
Just add flour, salt, a little red wine, don't forget a dollop for tomato sauce for sweetness and that extra tang

And give my love to Angus
And to Frank and Dolly
Tell em all I'm sorry
I screwed up this time
And look after Rita
I'll be thinking of her
Early Christmas morning
When I'm standing in line

I hear Mary's got a new boyfriend
I hope he can hold his own
Do you remember the last one? What was his name again?
Just a little too much cologne

And Roger, you know I'm even gonna miss Roger
Cos there sure as hell no one in here I wanna fight

So pray to baby Jesus
Have a merry Christmas
I'm really gonna miss it
All the treasure and the trash
And later in the evening
I can just imagine
You put on Junior Murvin
And push the tables back

And you'll dance with Rita
I know you really like her
Just don't hold her too close oh brother please don't stab me in the back
I didn't mean to say that
It's just my mind it plays up
Multiplies these matters
And turns imagination into fact

You know I love her badly
She's the one to save me
I'm gonna make some gravy
I'm gonna taste the fat

Tell her that I'm sorry
Yeah I love her badly
Tell em all I'm sorry and kiss the sleeping children for me

You know one of these days
I'll be making gravy
I'll be making plenty
I'm gonna pay em all back

Funnily enough I find it almost impossible to work, especially to write, without music. It gives me a sort of impetus or motivation. But any genre where the lyrics are not just part of the music, but an essential component to the enjoyment - in both flow and content - usually won't work. Rap stands out the most in that regard, but some folk and singer/songwriter stuff has the same problem. And the reason I haven't yet got through this year's Camp Cope album in full is because it drives me absolutely nuts at work after a couple of songs, but those two songs don't engage me enough to sit down and give a focused listen to the rest at home.

Totally, some music can, or has been useful for me at the outset in establishing a mood, let's say (a lot of ambient/electronic type stuff fits into that basket)... but then I've found out that pretty soon I have to actually start concentrating on what it is I'm doing, and at that point, I'm not listening anymore, in any meaningful sense.

Plus, headphones hurt my head. Which is a bummer.

I'm cobblering the new Mitski album and it's really fucking good. I love its brevity. These track lengths are a thing of beauty. And they pack a lot of punch and ideas and storytelling in their 2 to 2.5 minutes. I'm in. I'll have to go back to the earlier albums at some point soon.

Driving Home for Christmas is my number one Christmas song. Also, there is no number two.

I am entirely unfamiliar!

I think they might possibly be up your alley guy. I’ve been so out of the loop on prog do I don’t know if they’re really prog metal. I seem to recall you positively talking about Porcupine Tree back in the day as well. I’ve been listening to more of them lately!

I think they might possibly be up your alley guy. I’ve been so out of the loop on prog do I don’t know if they’re really prog metal. I seem to recall you positively talking about Porcupine Tree back in the day as well. I’ve been listening to more of them lately!

I'll give them a go! Still love me all of that Porcupine Tree. It was genuinely weird passing on a Steven Wilson gig a couple of months ago but his solo music since PT's last album has largely lost me and I'm not paying over $100 for a concert unless I know I'm going to love practically everything that might be in the setlist.

I'll give them a go! Still love me all of that Porcupine Tree. It was genuinely weird passing on a Steven Wilson gig a couple of months ago but his solo music since PT's last album has largely lost me and I'm not paying over $100 for a concert unless I know I'm going to love practically everything that might be in the setlist.

Nice! I haven't given their latest a listen but yeah, I'm really getting back into some of the prog stuff. Early Biffy Clyro is responsible for it, lol.

hey ax, have you ever seen this?

No! This is a true Christmas gift, thank you. (Kinda surprised Gravity Grave isn't in the set tbh, but def keen to sit down and watch the whole thing.)

Also, it's the 65th anniversary of the Tangiwai disaster tonight, which kinda means a lot to me, so I'm just going to leave two links here for anyone who's interested. This thread I wrote on Twitter:

Or if you can't be arsed with Twitter, this article I published a week ago: Lahar Meets Locomotive: New Zealand’s Tangiwai Railway Disaster of Christmas Eve 1953 | Environment & Society Portal

You have two middle names?

no that’s not the only thing I took away from that, but i needed an in character response that indicated i read pretty far in without explicitly
saying so because that isn’t me

No! This is a true Christmas gift, thank you. (Kinda surprised Gravity Grave isn't in the set tbh, but def keen to sit down and watch the whole thing.)

sweet :D i just found it on the weekend also, really high quality with lots of mad richard - you'll enjoy it. merry christmas.

crazy story about your grandpa too! thanks for sharing that.

Last edited:
Cheers everyone. Hope you and yours are all safe this holiday season.

You have two middle names?

no that’s not the only thing I took away from that, but i needed an in character response that indicated i read pretty far in without explicitly
saying so because that isn’t me

:lol: Nice one. I nearly had three! My father vetoed that.

sweet :D i just found it on the weekend also, really high quality with lots of mad richard - you'll enjoy it. merry christmas.

Soon as I turf out the family I'm sitting down with a bottle of something and turning the volume up loud.

Merry Christmas ya cunts :heart:

Merry Christmas fucko! :up:

And merry Christmas to every other fucko here too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom