Random Music Talk CXXVII: Crickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's silly Kiedis-speak.

He does the same thing in Soul to Squeeze.
Yes he does, but there it doesn't sound like an imitation of another language, sounds like gibberish or scatting or whatever term you want to use. In Around the World it has a sound like an Asian imitation due to his inflections and coupled with the song's title its easy for one's brain to go there. Mine definitely did the first time I heard it.
I'm sure its unintentional but no question it can give one that impression.

And good to see you on here, hope all is well with you and yours.

Last edited:

Was playing them more these days. Top 20...only top 5 set in stone. First band i liked, and second only to U2, this was hard.

1. The Long and winding Road
2. Across the universe
3. Hey Jude
4. She's Leaving home
5. Here comes the Sun

6. Penny Lane
7. Strawberry fields forever
8. Two of us
9. Good night
10. Norwegian wood

11. Rain
12. Don't let me down
13. Yes it is
14. Ticket to ride
15. You're gonna lose that girl

16. Help
17. Julia
18. Yesterday
19. And i Love her
20. Something

Last edited:
Keidis definitely sounds like he's doing an Asian caricature at the end of Around the World.

It's beyond cringe.

Yes he does, but there it doesn't sound like an imitation of another language, sounds like gibberish or scatting or whatever term you want to use. In Around the World it has a sound like an Asian imitation due to his inflections and coupled with the song's title its easy for one's brain to go there. Mine definitely did the first time I heard it.
I'm sure its unintentional but no question it can give one that impression.

And good to see you on here, hope all is well with you and yours.

IMO you guys are reaching. I'm not particularly a fan of the moment in question, but it's Kiedis being a doofus, not Kiedis being a racist. In over 20 years of listening to that song, that thought has never crossed my mind.

IMO you guys are reaching. I'm not particularly a fan of the moment in question, but it's Kiedis being a doofus, not Kiedis being a racist. In over 20 years of listening to that song, that thought has never crossed my mind.

I never said he was being a racist, in fact I said quite the opposite if you read everything I wrote on the subject.

So it looks like we have Clara Balzary to thank for this mini controversy we have been discussing here :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Around_the_World_(Red_Hot_Chili_Peppers_song)

The different final chorus originates from a request from Flea's daughter. While writing the album in Flea's garage his daughter would listen to their songs. At the time of writing, Kiedis was struggling to come up with lyrics for the songs, so just filled in with scat. When a final draft of the album was made and Flea's daughter listened to the final version, she was disappointed that the scat had been removed. So, on the final version of the song in the last chorus, the original demo recording was used instead

from wikipedia:

"The different final chorus originates from a request from Flea's daughter. While writing the album in Flea's garage his daughter would listen to their songs. At the time of writing, Kiedis was struggling to come up with lyrics for the songs, so just filled in with scat. When a final draft of the album was made and Flea's daughter listened to the final version, she was disappointed that the scat had been removed. So, on the final version of the song in the last chorus, the original demo recording was used instead "

So it looks like we have Clara Balzary to thank for this mini controversy we have been discussing here :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Around_the_World_(Red_Hot_Chili_Peppers_song)

utah 1, massachusetts 0

:wink:

utah 1, massachusetts 0

Sonofabitch.
He edited that in cause I saw his original post just before going to bed last night and it was just his first sentence. And of course today it took me to your Beatles post as the first new one so never even saw his additional info.

Sonofabitch.
He edited that in cause I saw his original post just before going to bed last night and it was just his first sentence. And of course today it took me to your Beatles post as the first new one so never even saw his additional info.

Ha yeah sorry. I found that excerpt a few minutes after I first posted. You guys still got Hayward though

New Phoebe Bridgers álbum announced. That’s fantastic news.

New Purity Ring is good, I'd say that sonically it sits somewhere between the debut and Another Eternity so hopefully will appeal to fans of either. My expectations were very high, since Another Eternity is one of my top four albums of the 2010s, the random single "Asido" is a total banger, and lead single "Stardew" swept me off my feet. I'm sure the album will place well on my year-end list but doesn't quite blow me away as a total product; I'd prefer less of the Shrines angle and more of the Another Eternity angle. I'd go nuts for a straight-up clone of Another Eternity tbh.

Finally listened today expecting it just to be background music and found myself getting really pulled into it on several tracks.

The new Strokes album is easily their best since Room on Fire. Julian has been killing it with the Voidz and he definitely brought that momentum with him to this great record.

I didn't really ever imagine I would still be checking The Strokes out in 2020! The videos have been pretty cool to for the new album.

The new Strokes album is easily their best since Room on Fire. Julian has been killing it with the Voidz and he definitely brought that momentum with him to this great record.

I think First Impressions of Earth is underrated, but I do like the new one. Really enjoy Brooklyn Bridge to Chorus.

In an effort to curry the favor of Conde Nast readership, Pitchfork has dedicated the few years to writing hit pieces about old indie rock staples and churning out noncommittal 7.0+ reviews for every hip hop record they can get their hands on.

The New Abnormal has by far the Strokes' highest metascore since their heyday and it's just as good as what they put out then. If nothing else, check out the video for At the Door for something completely new by the band.

Last edited:
I don't think they were that great to begin with, so "best since Room on Fire" or "highest metascore since their heyday" means little to me. Is This It may be an important "return to rock" album but IMO there wasn't much to it, especially compared to what The White Stripes were doing.

They're not original, they're not sophisticated, and they're rich boys who posed as scrubs. At least Vampire Weekend didn't hide their identities.

Not interested.

I don't mind The Strokes generally, but the first time I heard At the Door I thought I had aged 5 years by the time it was done. That song feels interminable.

*waits for Laz to delete his posts when Christgau puts out a positive review*

I've never even heard Is This It.

I am thankful it exists, but only because of Arctic Monkey's "Star Treatment".

Haven't listened to the new Strokes album, but I'm sure as shit not going to decide whether or not to listen based on a Pitchfork review in 20 goddamn 20.

It’s an okay album. It has its moment but after one listen, nothing really stuck with me aside from thinking it was okay. Not sure when or if I’ll go back to it.

Nothing will ever touch Room On Fire in my opinion.

But yeah, pitchfork is lame. They’d probably trash most of my favorite recent records.

*waits for Laz to delete his posts when Christgau puts out a positive review*

I've never even heard Is This It.

I am thankful it exists, but only because of Arctic Monkey's "Star Treatment".

You should probably give the first two records a listen. At least once.

Is This It got a meh reaction from me back in the day but the melodies and writing have held up over the years and now I think it's a masterclass in simple but effective songcraft. Sounds like it could have dropped yesterday.

Room on Fire has an awesome start and finish but the middle sounds uninspired to me.

I like or love every song on The New Abnormal.

Happy Easter all.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom